JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What Is The Oldest Thing You Own And Still Use?

24 minutes ago, rocket said:

Rats, that was the first thing that come to my mind. :lol1:

Hmm. It was the first thing I thought of too, then I thought of myself.. I've had me for my whole life. :)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Hmm...let's see, I have a Panasonic cassette tape recorder I purchased 22 years ago; still works and used. :)

An old pair of binoculars I used at international conventions . "as my eyes were surfing across the human sea". :)

A Polaroid instant camera; I took this when I travelled to 3 international conventions and the local friends were so happy to have an instant photo/souvenir of themselves with their family. :)

Lastly, if you ask my eldest brother this question, he'll tell you the oldest thing I own and still use is my big mouth just because I may at times, not very often, mind you, but possibly I let the cat out of the bag when it comes to family surprises. :secret:

Our amplifier, speakers, my cabinet, the chair, the bed... some of the material things

Spiritually,... I bring with me my small Bible which was not what I use when I was a highschool student and my classmates tend to borrow because it's small but the other one that I should use. The song book with its cover. They are about 4 years old together with its cover that I regularly bring with my to the meetings...

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

Well I've had these clothes and sandals for forty years and they look as good as new.

Do yours not do that then?

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Ditto here John, I'm working on a wonderful solid heavy wooden family desk. About four people need to lift it and then rest in between.  This thing is about 55 years or more.   

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

Round Oak Kitchen table that has split base so you can really open it up. Was made in Berlin, ON before they changed name to Kitchener. Thus it is about 100 years old.

My dad's mom had it then after my parents married, in 1937 it went to my mom's family then in early 1960's to my mom, then 2004 to me.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I have a drill press manufactured by Buffalo Forge Co. of Buffalo Ohio . It was my father's. He bought out a small manufacturing company from an elderly Brother in 1948.

It was old at the time, had gone through two electric motors. I still use it even thought it has to be hand started, starting circuit long gone. Predates WWII, I would estimate it at about 80 years old.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Grumpy.........he 76..........O yeah, no husbands.       Some of my great grandmothers dishes, if I can trust my mothers memory. She gave me one and said it belonged to her great grandmother, but it said  "made in China" on the bottom. I still use it though.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I have bound volumes from 1960.  But that is only 55 years.  (The bound volume would have been distributed early in 1961.)

I have a Fisher Price toy camera that was bought about 40 years ago.  It surprised me that it always took very good pictures. 

I am not even close to some of those others.

Bibles...

I use the Weymouth pre-1920s editions (one I have is 1913) to show people the footnote on John 10:30. This changed in the later editions so I keep to the early ones.

My father and aunt both gave me their Goodspeed and Smith versions, I don't look at them often, there's an old Darby around here I delve into from time to time. I find the Darby is excellent for backing up the NWT.

It seems that none of my copies of Studies in the Scriptures are early printings. I do have some very old tools, but not that old. Spanners that my father bought in the mid-fifties for instance. They get regular use.

The house I grew up in was a one-room school house back when the unincorporated town I live in was actually a thriving city. There was a time when the area where we live and the nearby small towns was the epicenter for business and social activity. There was even a "mansion" for the Governor on the property across from ours. There was a major rail yard a few miles north of us, complete with a "round house". Those days are long gone and the area where we live is now "rural". Most of what used to be here is gone as well.

We still have the house but we do not live in it - my Brother and I use it for our wood shop.

That house/building predates the Civil War.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

In southern India, one of the main food is called idli (or steamed rice cakes). This is made by soaking rice for minimum three hours or more. Then you grind it. Along with that, we have to grind soaked black gram. Both are then mixed and after 7 hours or more, they are consumed.

Each house have their grinding machines. I have mine which is twenty years old.

Sent from my C6802 using Tapatalk

I have a Mezza luna, made by my dad in 1937.  He made it by hand in a steel factory, decorated as a gift to my mom when they were courting.  That was in Italy right before the start of WWII.   I still use it, keep it clean and sharp.  It was a way Italian women used to mince their seasonings and cut their meats.  It's great to exercise by using both hands on each handle.   It's a family keep sake, hand made by my dad.   And I have a knife made out of pure silver, with a portrait of my great great great grandfather embedded in the knife's handle.  It's been in my father's family many generations.  I can't use it because there isn't much of a blade left.   But then handle is in great shape.  I did have another image that belonged to my father's side of the family, a hand craved Jesus, hand painted on a big cross.  The cross went to my brother's house, and I had the craved Jesus.  Since I have no need of Idols,  I gave it  to my brother.   This particular hand carved and painted Jesus dates back to 1558.   It belonged to members of my father's side of the family, a number of them were priests and Cavaliers.  If I figure out how to add a picture or pictures in here and show you all, I would.  My father's ancestral house is still standing in Italy.   It dates back to 1300's.  I guess its middle ages?  It belonged to my father's family.    Goodness, after writing this, I feel ancient!