JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW Broadcasting for January 2019

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1893 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

So if I invite an American to tea and I say come over in the next couple of hours and they arrive in three hours or more they shouldn’t expect a cheerful welcome when they arrive late. The food will either be burned or cold or I might have gone to bed. Lol. 

I wonder what will happen at the zoo if I ask an American to stand next to the tiger enclosure so I can take a photo. Do you set the table with the knife and fork next to the plate?

Before anyone takes offence, I am joking.  Although I am surprised by the confusion that can be caused by a language that is apparently the same.

I really hope we don’t get a message from the FDS that says the GT is about to start so leave your homes in the next couple of days. I won’t know what they mean. 🤣

Edited by Mykyl

I HAD to post this. I was discussing this point with my 10 year old son. He looked confused by the American way of understanding it then he said this and I quite. A Husband and Wife are known as a couple which is two it can’t ever be three or more. Lol.

Sorry had to post it. I found it amusing but he does have a very literal mind like myself.

I HAD to post this. I was discussing this point with my 10 year old son. He looked confused by the American way of understanding it then he said this and I quite. A Husband and Wife are known as a couple which is two it can’t ever be three or more. Lol.

Sorry had to post it. I found it amusing but he does have a very literal mind like myself.

It sounds funny, but according to Merriam-Webster, it means not only two people married, but more informally also “an indefinite small number.” Swedish has a similar word: par. In the strictest sense, it means two, and you do talk about ‘ett gift par’, which means ‘a married couple’, but more informally it can mean any small number - “usually two or three” according to the Royal Swedish Academy.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 hours ago, Mykyl said:

if I invite an American to tea and I say come over in the next couple of hours and they arrive in three hours or more they shouldn’t expect a cheerful welcome when they arrive late

If you invite an American to tea, not only should you clarify the time, but make sure they know that this means eating. I just learned this a few years ago. Prior to that, I thought that "tea" meant drinking actual tea. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

46 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

It sounds funny, but according to Merriam-Webster, it means not only two people married, but more informally also “an indefinite small number.” Swedish has a similar word: par. In the strictest sense, it means two, and you do talk about ‘ett gift par’, which means ‘a married couple’, but more informally it can mean any small number - “usually two or three” according to the Royal Swedish Academy.

How about the word next though? How is that defined? 

By the way I'm not being serious in any of this. I have learned that anyone outside the UK make up their own English definitions. 😉

How about the word next though? How is that defined?  By the way I'm not being serious in any of this. I have learned that anyone outside the UK make up their own English definitions.

So as not to make up my own definition, let’s pick the most British dictionary, The Oxford Dictionary of English. When speaking of time, it means the time coming immediately after the time of writing or speaking. So, ‘within next couple of weeks’, would mean within the coming two or three weeks, or so.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

37 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

So as not to make up my own definition, let’s pick the most British dictionary, The Oxford Dictionary of English. When speaking of time, it means the time coming immediately after the time of writing or speaking. So, ‘within next couple of weeks’, would mean within the coming two or three weeks, or so.

Nah. You'll never convince me to change my mind on what over the next couple of weeks should mean. :) My advice is you should discontinue this non productive discussion with me. 😁

30 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Amen and thank you for the permission...:wave:

I just thought that as we had direction about non productive bible studies folks could apply similar here with regard to discussions. Don't worry, I get annoyed at me as much as the next man or woman. 😁

Edited by Mykyl

1 hour ago, Mykyl said:

I just thought that as we had direction about non productive bible studies folks could apply similar here with regard to discussions. Don't worry, I get annoyed at me as much as the next man or woman. 😁

When you join the "program", admitting the problem is the first step on the road to recovery....😀❤️

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:34 PM, Stormswift said:

Wouldn't it be the next couple of weeks from the date of his post? 

Dates grow on date palms, not posts.

Seriously - from the date of the talk if those words were used (can't remember, btw.).

22 hours ago, jwhess said:

Every country, language or culture has unique expressions.  In America, this expression is used with our loved ones (especially our children) to put off bad news.  A child wants a piece of candy and you want them to wait until after their evening meal, so you say "...you can have one in a couple of hours".  You know full well it is going to be at least 3 hours until the meal and about an hour to eat the meal and then  (sometime later) you will allow them the treat.  We do not usually say, "You can eat that candy 4 hours and 33 minutes from now>.  

It is just a relaxed expression here to refer to something in the not-to-distant future.  A couple of hours, a couple of days, a couple of weeks and so on.    By contrast, to say a "few weeks" seems to indicate a somewhat longer time frame.  So if the next installment of the video was actually known to be January 21 2019, then that could have been said.  If it was planned but not yet scheduled, then it could have been said as 2 or 3 weeks.  There were only 3 Mondays left in the month when it was stated.  So to be kind and friendly, the term "couple of weeks" was used. It was not meant to be a literal time as calculated on the Atomic Time Clock.

This is one of those vagaries of an intercontinental use of English.  Let's all look forward to Monday the 21st...is that next Monday or this Monday?

That is a week argument!   Hmmm - today is the 21st!   

https://www.jw.org/download/?pub=jwb&issue=201901&langwritten=e

This link works too.

English is up

Annual Meeting-Talks and Announcements

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D