JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I'm finding current trends are starting to sour my enjoyment of secular entertainment

3 hours ago, Katty said:

Mary Sues

Had to look this term up

A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character. Often, this character is recognized as an author insert or wish fulfillment.[1] They can usually perform better at tasks than should be possible given the amount of training or experience, and usually are able through some means to upstage the main protagonist of an established fictional setting, such as by saving the hero.

Also found out it comes from a character in Star Trek tos.

Edited by Zebra555

13 hours ago, Zebra555 said:

Had to look this term up

A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character. Often, this character is recognized as an author insert or wish fulfillment.[1] They can usually perform better at tasks than should be possible given the amount of training or experience, and usually are able through some means to upstage the main protagonist of an established fictional setting, such as by saving the hero.

Also found out it comes from a character in Star Trek tos.

Yes, these days the term now refers more so to female characters with lack of development, and rather than earning their way in the story, everything is given to them on a plate and the world revolves around them, as opposed to them making their way in the world, just "because". Very typical in poor writing, or fan fiction, where their character is "the best and can do no wrong" in a very grating way.

The male version is known as a "Gary Stu".

Today we are seeing many "Mary Sues" because of the popularity of extreme feminism, and so they cater to these groups and their sense of self-entitlement, whilst making all the make characters around them either losers, incompetant or unlikeable.

Edited by EccentricM

@Katty

IKnowExactlyWhatYouMean-744x397.jpg

This world is really falling apart fast in several areas. Entertainment at one time, though there was always things you couldn't watch, is becoming more degraded, and quite frankly.. talentless. Because quick money, propaganda and political narrative now takes precedence over a quality product and art. Where it was once "the odd" really badly made product amongst many good things, that scale is beginning to tip the other way. 

Even big corps like Disney are beginning to really slack with their movies now.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2019 at 11:06 PM, Katty said:

It seems like every movie I watch or song I like that's contemporary, I ended hearing about the actor or singer mouthing off on some kind of pro LGBT social justice cause, or spouting something anti-Christian. While I can still enjoy the music or film after, it's not really the same. Plus more and more movies seem to have no plot but plenty of Mary Sues. I find myself watching a lot of older movies, older TV shows, and listening to old music, save the stuff on the JW broadscasting network. Anyone starting to feel the same?

Just as I think I've found a worldly television show or movie I can (safely?) watch, here comes the homosexual characters or issues. Like curse words, it doesn't add anything to the plot and it's like finding a worm in your apple. You don't even want the apple anymore, and feel slightly sick because you had a bite.

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

On 3/1/2019 at 3:53 AM, Dages said:

Absolutely the same.

I have not much interest in video games, movies, even books. I used to love books.

Modern pop music is awful.

Now I just want Paradise. My entertainment is thinking about life in the new world.

Maybe you can share your thinking about life in the new system so we can be entertained, too? I'd love to read a few paragraphs.

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

I agree.  These days I just DVR cooking competitions, home designing shows such as love it or list it, property brothers, etc. or talent shows and watch when I have time.  I have given up looking at live TV all together and do not watch any sitcoms as the story lines will either include homosexual characters or promote sex or violence.  I prefer to pre-record shows I do want to watch so I can just fast forward through the commercials or things I do not want to see.  I hardly have time to watch the things I record but they are there if I want to view something.

I also use you tube to watch animals doing funny things or learning about their characteristics.  I shared a video in the classic section of a gold fish that loved to interact and play with it's owner.  I would never have guess that fish have personalities.  I like looking at documentaries about animal life.  Just the other day I looked at a video about "playing music for animals" and how cows, horses, etc response/act when they hear music. 

My favorite animals are giraffes, peacocks and llamas.  Just last night I tried to find out if "Peacocks" like listening to music.  One time I tried to find out if they like interacting with humans or even care hoping someone recorded their pet peacock. 🤔  Unfortunately I couldn't find anything. I love animals and try to imagine the new system and my interaction with them.

I think there will be no time for TV as we learn about Jehovah's wonderful creations so I figure I will study up now so I can be ahead of the game 🤓  One does have to be careful with youtube as they like to "push worldy suggested videos" so I select "not interested" so they learn my viewing habits.  Even then it's not 100% safe so caution is the key.  Just following people there giving advice on food, hair, etc. can be time consuming and since they do not love Jehovah or have his views caution is key.

Edited by lovjahupepl

I wouldn't be surprised if pretty soon, we won't even be able to watch the weather lol. People look at alternative lifestyles as just another choice, with no consequence, and with such people directing the shows on tv, that explains why so many have bad overtones...I wonder what will happen to television and entertainment, once false religion is gone, along with even subtle morals, and people without God don't have a reason for a conscience anymore...scary...

Even in foreign films dubbed with English, they will purposefully add in curse words where there were none, just because it draws people...sigh...

Edited by cricket246

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

6 hours ago, cricket246 said:

wouldn't be surprised if pretty soon, we won't even be able to watch the weather lol

You can't in many European countries, as many weather stations compete with each other for views by having overly sexualised or even at times, naked female presenters.

Edited by EccentricM

8 hours ago, cricket246 said:

Even in foreign films dubbed with English, they will purposefully add in curse words where there were none, just because it draws people...sigh...

I noticed that to and couldn't believe what was happening 😮

Both in english subtitles and portuguese! Where the original didn't have any course words...

For a long time, we’ve watched no sit coms. None. Current music, nope. We have the ability to record programs, and that is mostly what we  watch. In reality, there is much more true crime on that dvr, my husband. I tend to play word games when he watches them. On the iPad. Movies? Can’t remember the last one. 

Morning shows? Yes. They can be disgusting too. When I heard a guy talk about his,  “husband” being injured, and they show, “family” pictures of those two men, a two children, I want to vomit. Those poor kids don’t have a smidgen of a chance for any normalcy. None. 

I tell mysel how warped this world is. There was a time that if a family went to the movies, that was the entertainment for the week. Now, there is that tv. And, yes, it is normal for us to sit down, and have that entertainment at our fingertips. On a daily basis. 

When my husband is not here, (rarely) I try not to even turn the tv on. (I don’t know how to watch JW. .Org on the big tv) 

Yes, it has gotten to us. There was a time, way back when, when we did not have tv. (No electrical power) before we started making electricity. We played board games. And cards. 

There are times when I’m working in the garden, and, I still look foreword to that game of marbles, (under the shade of a tree) Which we did regularly. So much it still lives in my automatic memory. 

The tree is gone. (Felled, too close to house) I still have the marble board. Tell myself, one day...

As Christians, we live a life that is so much better then the world around us, but, it will get better shortly, and we will start finding so much of what has been lost. 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I concur, my family and I cancelled our TV subscription for that reason. There can be hundreds of channels, and there will still be nothing on or up-building. I mainly watching cooking shows, documentaries & cartoons, but even these are being corrupted by the adults that make them. I had to recently stop watching a few new animations because they introduced homosexual characters, that were children of all people! We are so close to the end that nothing is truly sacred or innocent anymore.

I used to enjoy comic books and movies, especially ones from Marvel, but they've ruined the franchise with sorcery and gratuitous violence. Just try watching any popular prime time television show, or pretty much any Netflix original not aimed at kids, I guarantee there will be people having adulterous or pre-marital sex, graphic violence, murder, cursing & homosexuality. It seems the worse the show strays from Jehovah, the more popular it is.

It's so important to realize that we are far too close to the end to fill our minds with this rubbish. Whatever we watch molds our thinking to where we become desensitized to it, and eventually think, "Is it really that bad?". I'm happy with my Roku that can stream JW broadcasting while I do my cooking & cleaning, half the time I find myself wiping my tears between vacuuming because of how a video can be so relevant to my current situation. This spiritual food is put there for a reason. We should never take it for granted!

44 minutes ago, lovejoypeace said:

It seems the worse the show strays from Jehovah, the more popular it is.

I was saying to my mom the other day. "Sin sells". It's hard to stay righteous in our imperfect state, and sin is a natural "default" or leaning of our behaviour at this time.

On 2/28/2019 at 9:06 PM, Katty said:

It seems like every movie I watch or song I like that's contemporary, I ended hearing about the actor or singer mouthing off on some kind of pro LGBT social justice cause, or spouting something anti-Christian. While I can still enjoy the music or film after, it's not really the same. Plus more and more movies seem to have no plot but plenty of Mary Sues. I find myself watching a lot of older movies, older TV shows, and listening to old music, save the stuff on the JW broadscasting network. Anyone starting to feel the same?

Spending much more time on the old black and white movies “Classics” and television shows.

5 hours ago, Skookum said:

Spending much more time on the old black and white movies “Classics” and television shows.

My wife is currently recording everything that Myrna Loy made. I loved the old Thin Man series...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I currently watch Beat Bobby Flay, Chopped, Chip and Joanna Gains, Good Eats with Alton Brown (love that one). Shows get recorded on the DVR automatically and each weekend the ones I don't watch get erased. There are a few sitcoms MH will watch so he has to go into the Trash to get them if I forget and erase. I refuse to watch them and lets not get into reality shows, puke. I was watching some of the action shows on Prime Time and would fast forward if there was a segment on a homosexual issue now I can't watch it at all because they now have moved on to another level of perversion- an engaged couple invite a bi-sexual woman to join them in their relationship.......so done. NOPE.

I'm thinking about going to Sling. Anyone use it?

Oh Myrna Loy, I have watch the entire series of The Thin Man more than once. Loved it, quite the drinkers tho, but in a funny way!

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 1 month later...

This is so true. It's even in the most innocent of kid shows now. I just found out today that there was a gay marriage in a recent episode of Arthur, a show that's literally been around for as long as I have (its only 2 months older than me and the second longest running cartoon after the Simpsons) and is one of the safest PBS shows after Sesame Street. And I can recall a time when even people in the world would not let their kids watch Spongebob or the Teletubbies because of nothing but speculation that one of the main characters were gay. Times are really changing quickly lol.