JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

Just a bit of trivia. I just heard The word “quarantine” comes from Italian originally referring to “40 days”. 
During the plague many years ago, ships arriving at an Italian port had to wait there for 40 days. :facepalmpo2:

Wonder why they chose the number 40?     Biblical number maybe? :coffee:

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

The Resch Center in Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA is where we have our Regional Conventions each year. 

Hopefully they will do a good job of disinfecting that entire place.

Wait a minute, our wonderful volunteers won’t take any chances on that at all.

https://fox11online.com/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-testing-continues-at-resch-center-not-open-to-public?fbclid=IwAR3MpAIVKE58I6nFz75oPXJIZQYXOD_RjeT2BufjfXJXD3jZz0Lcvm_k29g

ASHWAUBENON (WLUK) -- Testing for coronavirus continues Friday at the Resch Center as Brown County health officials try to stamp down an outbreak.

County officials on Friday report a total of 1,163 cases, an increase of 114 since Thursday's media briefing. The county is also reporting two more deaths, a 51-year-old man who lived in the 54155 zip code and a 59-year-old woman who lived in the 54155 zip code. Brown County is now reporting five total deaths.

There are 38 people hospitalized and 172 people have finished their isolation periods.

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

5 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

Just a bit of trivia. I just heard The word “quarantine” comes from Italian originally referring to “40 days”. 
During the plague many years ago, ships arriving at an Italian port had to wait there for 40 days. :facepalmpo2:

That is exactly correct. They didn’t have an accurate number of days but knew that some kind of isolation was called for. They close 40 days from it’s prevalence in the scriptures as a waiting period. 

I was told that in Italy during one outbreak there long ago, it was noticed that the Jews were not suffering as much (due to the 40 day Mosaic Law). Hence the name was associated with the practice.
I had a talk where I wanted to reference this, but I was unable to find any reference to this.
So I guess it might be a good story loosely based history, which may or might not have happened...

Old (Downunder) Tone

I was told that in Italy during one outbreak there long ago, it was noticed that the Jews were not suffering as much (due to the 40 day Mosaic Law). Hence the name was associated with the practice.
I had a talk where I wanted to reference this, but I was unable to find any reference to this.
So I guess it might be a good story loosely based history, which may or might not have happened...

Old (Downunder) Tone

On 5/2/2020 at 9:08 AM, Dismal_Bliss said:

It was also interesting that this reference was published on February 13th, so it's old and out of date compared to the current charts and figures that @Old brother Jerry cited.

"However, as more data are accumulated, estimation error can be expected to decrease and a clearer picture should form. Based on these considerations, R0 for COVID-19 is expected to be around 2–3, which is broadly consistent with the WHO estimate."

What's the secret agenda?

Odd that they would cite a reference that was old and out of date, that was admittedly biased, and not the newer data that they said would have accumulated by now. As for the current charts and figures of total Covid deaths cited in the CNN article, there have actually been studies done that are finding that many more people have had the disease than what is being reported, as shown here, here, here and here, which indicates that those percentages might be inaccurate. And then there are some who are saying that intubating Covid patients has been doing more harm than good and may be contributing to the higher death rates, suggesting that other treatments, such as drugs that have been successful in treating the disease would be more effective and would likely have saved many lives. 

There has been so much controversy over this in the media that it's become an outright battle, with the POTUS on the one side, favoring treatment with medications, while the other side is saying that those drugs don’t work and the only solution is to vaccinate everyone. And because this is an election year, the president is being vehemently attacked, such as with reporters stating that he doesn’t deserve to be re-elected, due to the death toll from Covid being worse than the Vietnam War. So, elevating the actual death toll from Covid could conceivably be an attempt to make the POTUS look bad, and would therefore constitute an agenda, which isn't 'secret' by the way.

But because the media is aligned with one side of these political ideologies or the other, I was simply seeking to clarify that our organization does not favor one view over the other, and I knew Jerry would never suggest that they did. Sorry for the confusion.

1 hour ago, Motherhen said:

As for the current charts and figures of total Covid deaths cited in the CNN article, there have actually been studies done that are finding that many more people have had the disease than what is being reported, as shown here, here, here and here, which indicates that those percentages might be inaccurate.

This would mean that the coronavirus is even more contagious and widespread than they thought, right?

1 hour ago, Motherhen said:

So, elevating the actual death toll from Covid could conceivably be an attempt to make the POTUS look bad, and would therefore constitute an agenda, which isn't 'secret' by the way.

Does this change the fact that people are dying, particularly in vulnerable age groups and those with other medical conditions, at an alarming rate? We can eliminate the USA death tolls and just look at those of other countries and determine that covid-19 is a big deal.

That this novel coronavirus is more contagious and more deadly than the flu seems to be data driven, not agenda driven. That this data does have some bearing on how soon we will be allowed to meet in our Kingdom Halls again is evident in that even though certain governments are lifting restrictions and allowing church gatherings, we've been instructed to continue using Zoom regardless. So resuming Kingdom Hall use has nothing to do with obedience to governmental recommendations and directives, but rather the health and safety of Jehovah's sheep.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

On a lighter note, Martha Stewart is suggesting this as a baking thing to do due to the pandemic. She says one 'cookie' should last all day long 

20200503_155246.jpg

20200503_155252.jpg

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

3 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

This would mean that the coronavirus is even more contagious and widespread than they thought, right?

Yes. And that's why those who are asymptomatic is both good and terrible news at the same time.  Good news that's it not as deadly as originally thought, and terrible news that it can be spread without a person knowing they have it.

Edited by Bob

3 hours ago, AH173 said:

On a lighter note, Martha Stewart is suggesting this as a baking thing to do due to the pandemic. She says one 'cookie' should last all day long 

20200503_155246.jpg

20200503_155252.jpg

She's right.

I just baked a batch and

for three and a half whole hours

I never thought about the Pandemic

even once. :D

Screenshot_20200503_190614.thumb.jpg.6aa6512fc6e0299931620ce665c49b96.jpg

All I kept thinking was

'How are you ever going to

walk off all those calories?'  :D

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

1 hour ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

She's right.

I just baked a batch and

for three and a half whole hours

I never thought about the Pandemic

even once. :D

Screenshot_20200503_190614.thumb.jpg.6aa6512fc6e0299931620ce665c49b96.jpg

All I kept thinking was

'How are you ever going to

walk off all those calories?'  :D

yummy looking! 

can you fedex'em to me?

just joking

can you share a recipe?

22 minutes ago, Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual said:

yummy looking! 

can you fedex'em to me?

just joking

can you share a recipe?

https://www.marthastewart.com/318012/kitchen-sink-cookies

This is version I made: (didn't have dried apricots and dried cherries)

Kitchen Sink Cookies.docx

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I posted earlier that Columbus County, North Carolina did not have a case of the COVID-19. It was one of the last counties to get a case.

As of today, on a per capita basis, Columbus County has mare cases of COVID-19 than any other county in North Carolina. 

How quickly things change!!!

So far I have not heard about any case in our local congregation.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Does anyone think Covid-19 will never cease to exist? Unless Jehovah destroys it by Armageddon?

Many experts say it will be a post covid19 world.. this world will never be the same and even that it not possible to eradicate it.

39 minutes ago, Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual said:

Does anyone think Covid-19 will never cease to exist? Unless Jehovah destroys it by Armageddon?

Many experts say it will be a post covid19 world.. this world will never be the same and even that it not possible to eradicate it.

Perhaps the vaccine will be the cry of peace and security...or the global ceasefire..perhaps both will be a part of a series of cries of peace and security. I guess...all you can do is slow the transmission until the vaccine is made, tested and distributed - which takes time. I would not worry - it is impossible to know.

22 minutes ago, GraceH said:

Perhaps the vaccine will be the cry of peace and security...or the global ceasefire..perhaps both will be a part of a series of cries of peace and security. I guess...all you can do is slow the transmission until the vaccine is made, tested and distributed - which takes time. I would not worry - it is impossible to know.

It's amazing for me that there can be a Vaccine at all for Covid-19.. I thought it keeps changing its form and eradicating is nearly impossible unless everyone in the world gets it. 

I wonder if people will trust the vaccine.. haha.. 

Edited by Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual

US and China are competing over who's the first to get the Covid-19 vaccine.

The one who gets it will be the winner.. politically and economically. 

If the vaccine is the trigger to P&S, then I guess it'll be US that gets the vaccine first, because it's connected to UN.

Edited by Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual

https://www.thedailybeast.com

Nearly 375 employees at a Missouri meat-packing plant who tested positive for coronavirus were all asymptomatic, CNN reports, citing the state department of health. 

Multiple meat-packing plants and food-processing facilities across the U.S., where people unavoidably work in close proximity, have seen outbreaks of the deadly virus, forcing shutdowns and sparking concerns of possible food shortages

Epidemiologists say the ability of the virus to be transmitted by carriers who do not feel unwell is key to its rapid transmission rate..