JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

But some aren’t happy : not open to any agreement. Not even survival.OPINION

23/04/2020 06:00 BST | Updated 23/04/2020 15:11 BST

I Teach At Oxford, But I Don’t Want It To Win The Coronavirus Vaccine Race

The story will be clear: China, once again, has unleashed a threat to civilisation. But the best brains of the UK have saved the world, Dr Emily Cousens writes.

Two major trials for Covid-19 treatment underway

Fergus Walsh Medical correspondent

A trial of potential treatments for Covid-19 has now enrolled more than 8,000 hospital patients throughout the UK.

The RECOVERY trial, led by the University of Oxford, is testing five existing medicines. These include a combination HIV therapy and an anti-malarial drug, both of which are being examined to see if they can halt replication of the virus inside the body.

There are also treatments which aim to reduce inflammation, and dampen the immune response, which can go haywire in patients with severe disease.

The trial has enrolled patients in nearly 170 hospitals in the UK, and will seek to find out if the drugs reduce mortality.

“The more patients we can enrol, the quicker we will get results.The trial has broken many records in terms of size, it’s quite incredible,” the Principal Investigator Prof Peter Horby told the BBC.

The trial is by far the biggest in the world looking at possible medicines for coronavirus.

A global trial of Covid-19 treatments, launched by the World Health Organization, confirmed today that it have recruited more than 1,200 patients. The Solidarity trial will involve more than 100 countries.

Jeff Pike, 60, got coronavirus six weeks ago. He’s a patient at Addenbrookes hospital in Cambridge.

Jeff, who has had cancer twice, is now part of the RECOVERY trial and another study at Cambridge.

“Being part of the trials probably won’t help me, but it might help those that follow. We need some science at this moment,” he said.

Edited by humblebumblebee

Do not put your trust in princes

Nor in a son of man, who cannot bring salvation

Ps 146:3

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51665497.dit

A vaccine would normally take years, if not decades, to develop. Researchers hope to achieve the same amount of work in only a few months.

Most experts think a vaccine is likely to become available by mid-2021, about 12-18 months after the new virus, known officially as Sars-CoV-2, first emerged.

That would be a huge scientific feat and there are no guarantees it will work.

Four coronaviruses already circulate in human beings. They cause common cold symptoms and we don't have vaccines for any of them.

What still needs to be done?

• Trials need to show the vaccine is safe. It would not be useful if it caused more problems than the disease
  • Clinical trials will also need to show the vaccine provokes an immune response which would protect people from getting sick
  • A way of producing the vaccine on a huge scale must be developed for the billions of potential doses
  • Medicines regulators must approve it before it can be given
  • Finally there will be the huge logistical challenge of actually inoculating most of the world's population

2 hours ago, AH173 said:

I would hope your medical doctor would test for antibodies from either you or your family. Not to donate blood /plasma but just to see if you had a trace of how your body fought the disease. 

I finally returned to my doctor for a follow-up a month late. All she said was she didn't know what it was and that she had been very concerned for me. Didn't offer any antibody test but we weren't talking about that yet. I wonder if I should ask? It's probably not on the top of their list the moment.

It was just in the local newspaper yesterday. I can only imagine how upset people will be about this.

July 4th 🎇 🎆 festivities have been CANCELLED this year. The explanation  was because of all the planning that is involved. Course the unknown probably had a part in it too.

Pretty great 💰 💵💵💵💵💵 money maker that day. 

O yippeeeee!!!!!!!

I’m sure there will still be all the noise makers. 

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

12 minutes ago, Loopy said:

It was just in the local newspaper yesterday. I can only imagine how upset people will be about this.

July 4th 🎇 🎆 festivities have been CANCELLED this year. The explanation  was because of all the planning that is involved. Course the unknown probably had a part in it too.

Pretty great 💰 💵💵💵💵💵 money maker that day. 

O yippeeeee!!!!!!!

I’m sure there will still be all the noise makers. 

At least you have that thunder blanket/jacket for poor Sophie. :( 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

2 hours ago, JennyM said:

We traveled out of town to attend the international convention in November 2019 and many bro and sis from Europe, US and other countries came. .. There were 26,000 attended the convention. On the 3rd day, I was severely sick that I couldn't get up and got high fever. We couldn't travel back right away because of my condition. We were 5 in my group and 3 of us was severely sick for 2 weeks and had a 5 weeks allergic cough..... Our elder got flu for 1 week and continued to be sick for another week. He got diarrhea. So when I heard this outbreak in China  last January.. I was just thinking it could  existed before that. 

Our circuit overseer and his wife both came back to the Dominican Republic from the Philippines International Convention in November very sick. It took them almost 2 weeks to get better.

1 hour ago, rolypoly said:

It's probably not on the top of their list the moment.

Oh well. Shame on them and potential grief for others.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

34 minutes ago, Bro Richard said:

Breaking News!
It was announced this morning that the pandemic is fulfilling Job 15:27 ! 

Boy this spreads fast!! I just got this text to me 10 minutes ago by someone not on the forum!

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

On 4/7/2020 at 10:29 PM, Bro Richard said:

Unfortunately  I haven't heard any warnings about the N95 with an exhalation valve. They keep stuff from coming in but they do not prevent stuff from going out. They are designed to allow exhalation to exit the mask to keep the user cool.

That doesn't fit the current strategy to prevent bad stuff from getting out. An ill person could wear an N95 with an exhalation valve and still infect others...

https://www.fastcompany.com/90496717/what-is-a-mask-valve-and-why-are-cities-banning-them

Apparently that issue is finally being addressed. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

REMDESIVIR - Study shows a possible go to drug for covid - 19

Critical study of Gilead’s Covid-19 drug shows patients are responding to treatment, NIH says

Fauci expresses optimism about 'significant, positive' data from a trial of the possible Covid-19 treatment remdesivir

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/29/health/gilead-sciences-remdesivir-covid-19-treatment/index.html

2 hours ago, Bro Richard said:

Breaking News!
It was announced this morning that the pandemic is fulfilling Job 15:27 ! 

Imagine the time when we will all know the scriptures so well that we won’t have to look up your puns!

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Dirty money piling up in L.A. as coronavirus cripples international money laundering

Matthew Ormseth

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-29/coronavirus-slows-money-laundering-to-a-crawl.

Hurting the bad guy's

Edited by Todd komaniak

3 hours ago, Todd komaniak said:

Dirty money piling up in L.A. as coronavirus cripples international money laundering

Matthew Ormseth

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-29/coronavirus-slows-money-laundering-to-a-crawl.

Hurting the bad guy's

I thought this might happen. It seems that this level of disruption is bound to expose some of those machinations.

It's affecting Insurance Companies as well, I got my bill a couple weeks ago and it was higher than previous Billings, even tho I have no citations. Unfortunately for me here on the edge of nowhere I'm classed in with those in Seattle!!! We don't have anywhere the massive congestion they have.

So I was pleasantly surprised to see on my on line yearly bill it was just shy of 1,000 less! They were talking about reducing Insurance but wow, this is impressive.

I sure hope it's not a misprint.

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

https://fox8.com/news/coronavirus/doctor-who-recovered-from-coronavirus-dies-by-suicide-police-say/

Doctor who recovered from coronavirus dies by suicide, police say

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia (WJW) — Police in Charlottesville, Virginia said a New York City emergency room doctor died of self-inflicted injuries.

In a news release posted on the Charlottesville website, police said they responded to a call for medical assistance on Sunday.

https://fox8.com/news/coronavirus/doctor-who-recovered-from-coronavirus-dies-by-suicide-police-say/

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia (WJW) — Police in Charlottesville, Virginia said a New York City emergency room doctor died of self-inflicted injuries.

In a news release posted on the Charlottesville website, police said they responded to a call for medical assistance on Sunday.

23 minutes ago, Tbs77 said:

I read Doctor Who!!   (sorry, didn't mean to sound disrespectful)

Edited by bagwell1987

Sadly, I read about that in the NY Times. She was in a Manhattan Presbyterian Hospital at the front line. Sadly, caught the bug herself...
In her 50's...

Old (Downunder) Tone

1 hour ago, Tbs77 said:

People are getting hopeless these days. Its a real blessing that we as jw are trained to trust and have hope in Jehovah. ... That there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. 

2 hours ago, bagwell1987 said:

It's affecting Insurance Companies as well, I got my bill a couple weeks ago and it was higher than previous Billings, even tho I have no citations. Unfortunately for me here on the edge of nowhere I'm classed in with those in Seattle!!! We don't have anywhere the massive congestion they have.

So I was pleasantly surprised to see on my on line yearly bill it was just shy of 1,000 less! They were talking about reducing Insurance but wow, this is impressive.

I sure hope it's not a misprint.

My insurance company actually refunded my family $50 per vehicle insured for last month. In our case that was $200. A blessing indeed. They have kept my loyalty.