JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

7 hours ago, Lieblingskind said:

Interesting about interpreting COVID-19  data statistics:

Rate of excess deaths was how I was looking at it too. It does help to see how "accurate" the reporting is. It also shows clearly that COVID is a killer and that this is not just a giant conspiracy.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

People are going to be up in arms if things have to be shut down again. 

They laugh every time vaccines are talked about or just the virus being laughed about. 

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

3 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

CDC 'leaked' report report:

Thanks. I like this chart which simplifies how much the vaccine helps.

8 fold reduction in catching covid-19,

25-fold reduction in hospitalization incidence and

25-fold reduction in death incidence.

1839957920_SCR08-01-21at12_02AM.thumb.JPG.7ac71c4e940cfd354c48083d77159664.JPG

Florida sets a one day record for new Covid-19 cases.  :(

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article253168148.html

Florida sets a record with 21,683 new COVID-19 cases reported Saturday, the CDC says

Definitely NOT a record to be proud of.  :(

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

3 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

Thanks. Interesting to see how infectious the Delta variant is and how vaccination helped to prevent severe illness.

• More than 200 hospital staff members tested positive for COVID-19 in July.
  • Most of those staff members were vaccinated and presented mild to moderate symptoms.
  • The Delta variant has also been known to spread among vaccinated people in breakthrough cases.

Delta is more transmissible and deadlier than first thought. Australian cases in Sydney compared to Victorian earlier outbreaks show more people are hospital intensive care, even though there were substantially more cases in Victoria.

“And what we are seeing is more cases in children. Local data in Australia shows about 25 per cent of new cases are in children, and we are treating more children at our hospitals.”

Here is the difference:

On August 19 last year, the Victorian government reported 675 people in hospital — the peak of hospitalisations during Victoria's second wave.

Of those, 44 were in ICU and 29 of those were on ventilation. Victoria's second wave, which killed 768 people, reached a peak of 6,768 active cases on August 7 last year and was the original Wuhan strain of the virus. 

According to NSW Health data on Monday, 232 COVID-19-positive patients were in hospital, 54 of whom were in ICU and 25 of those on ventilation. All of NSW's 3,038 active cases are believed to be the Delta strain. 

Sydney is months away from eradication, and they are thinking this is now not possible anymore due to this variant. So vaccination is the only way Sydney can emerge from lockdown. At this rate it may take until the end of the year to reach 70% vaccination rate, which would have meant Sydney has been in lockdown for 6 months! 😱

Vaccination rates here have been slowly rising as Pfizer shots become more available, but it’s still around 15% fully vaccinated. Australia is vulnerable until we reach 80% vaccination due to very few natural covid cases since the beginning of the pandemic. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-03/covid-delta-danger-sees-experts-prepare-for-hospital-surge/100334558

Edited by hatcheckgirl

Add link

We had one old Japanese sister who died of Covid in a nearby congregation but I was not informed about her death, let alone invited to her funeral. Another foreign Witness also passed away but in a congregation 150 km away but it was kept a secret and no one has any details. It took a brother from Singapore to inform me about the deaths. Even my CBOE was not aware of these unfortunate happenings.

But things are heating up here with 7,000 cases in 1 day in just this small valley portion of the capital city area. Population about 2 million over a 40 km stretch of land area. It's totally out of control. I'm only getting my 2nd Astra Zeneca jab on 10 August (7 days away). Supposed to be 12 week gap but shortened to 9 weeks. Brother @Raven kindly advised me to stay at home but it's hard. My front neighbor is already down with Covid and quarantining in his house.  The daily death rate is 200+ yesterday. Hospitals are full, ICU too, running out of equipment, continuous sound of ambulances el at. (Pssst Br. @Lee49this is a new word for me, I googled the word which I saw on NYTimes and Google told me it was 'at el' Arrrrgh, so embarrassing. Google is not to be trusted 100% of the time. Nah can't be trusted)

1 hour ago, Jonadab said:

Almost every week we have a funeral speech to watch, I honestly have lost count of how many I watched, we have one more now for the weekend,all victims of Covid complications! Until when...........😢

So sorry to hear that. Thank you for letting us know about the situation in South America. It's so heart wrenching to see the brothers and sisters suffering silently through this consequences of this terrible pandemic. One can't imagine the heart break that is happening in these families who have lost these beloved ones.  Mind numbing. This is not just 1 country but a whole continent undergoing a massive upheaval, never seen before.

Praying for the brothers and sisters in your country, Br. Daniel.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/jun/18/covid-south-america-paraguay-argentina-peru

Fri 18 Jun 2021

A silent decimation: South America’s losing battle against Covid

As Paraguay records the world’s highest daily proportion of Covid deaths, the huddled families wait for news of their loved ones – and for the sudden requests for medicine and supplies that the country’s chronically underfunded health system cannot provide.

“There’s really so little support from the government – it’s a disaster,” said Jessica Ortigosa, whose father was languishing in a chair instead of a bed. “They should have prepared for all this from the start of the pandemic.”

As she spoke, two women collapsed on a sofa in the hospital’s entrance, their uncontrollable tears announcing the death of Paraguay’s most recent coronavirus victim.

India may have commanded much of the world’s attention over recent weeks, but Paraguay, Suriname, Argentina, Uruguay, Colombia, Brazil and Peru are suffering – in that order – a silent decimation by Covid unlike that anywhere else in the world

image.png.b142ebba83f050506f6d07d104433d39.png

Edited by happiness IS

1 hour ago, happiness IS said:

We had one old Japanese sister who died of Covid in a nearby congregation

I think I know of this sister.  She had a daughter living in Sydney in my mum's congregation.  Yes, it was very sad to hear of her death, even though I didn't know her personally.  Her husband, not in the truth, is recovering and will need a lot of help.  I heard the congregation is helping him.

Please do take care my sister!  I feel for you stuck there, as my mum is also holed up inside not daring to leave with the delta spreading in Sydney.  However, the density is nowhere near like what you described: Population about 2 million over a 40 km stretch of land area. Wow!

image.png.a6a98cbfb03eeeb88ba7d39c8b398ed7.png

This is the Klang valley map. As of 2012, the Klang Valley is home to roughly 8 million people. With the capital at the far eastern end, extending westwards towards the coastline. The conurbation is the heartland of the country's industry and commerce. Also Covid hotspot with lots of foreign workers legal or otherwise, refugees, foreigners, etc

Sorry for the less than accurate description given in my previous post. Merely pulling figures out of my less than reliable memory. The coming week is going to see the worst of the pandemic.

Edited by happiness IS

10 hours ago, happiness IS said:

We had one old Japanese sister who died of Covid in a nearby congregation but I was not informed about her death, let alone invited to her funeral. Another foreign Witness also passed away but in a congregation 150 km away but it was kept a secret and no one has any details. It took a brother from Singapore to inform me about the deaths. Even my CBOE was not aware of these unfortunate happenings.

But things are heating up here with 7,000 cases in 1 day in just this small valley portion of the capital city area. Population about 2 million over a 40 km stretch of land area. It's totally out of control. I'm only getting my 2nd Astra Zeneca jab on 10 August (7 days away). Supposed to be 12 week gap but shortened to 9 weeks. Brother @Raven kindly advised me to stay at home but it's hard. My front neighbor is already down with Covid and quarantining in his house.  The daily death rate is 200+ yesterday. Hospitals are full, ICU too, running out of equipment, continuous sound of ambulances el at. (Pssst Br. @Lee49this is a new word for me, I googled the word which I saw on NYTimes and Google told me it was 'at el' Arrrrgh, so embarrassing. Google is not to be trusted 100% of the time. Nah can't be trusted)

Be careful my sis.

Wow now NYC is mandating businesses to refuse service to unvaccinated people:

https://nypost.com/2021/08/03/nyc-to-mandate-proof-of-vaccination-for-many-indoor-settings/amp/

I always wonder how things like this impact the local brothers and sisters who are merely exercising their human rights to not get vaccinated. 

It seems that for them to partake in normal society, they would be forced to chose between violating their conscious just to eat at a restaurant and partake in normal life. 

I can see something like this hitting the Supreme Court in short order. 

Edited by Bob

The local brothers probably take their cue from Bethel in understanding between  a right and a privilege… in consideration of their immediate health challenges…

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

1 minute ago, Lance said:

The local brothers probably take their cue from Bethel in understanding between  a right and a privilege… in consideration of their immediate health challenges…

What do you mean? I’m genuinely curious. Are you saying we don’t have the right to refuse a vaccine as a rational adult? 

With this highly contagious Delta variant running rampant, I wouldn't need a mandate to avoid indoor settings/gatherings. 

My conscience would be telling me to stick to essential visits to essential places, for fuel and food.

I don't consider dining out worth the risk of spreading/catching Covid.  So a restaurant, or partaking in normal life, is not an essential...not for me, anyway. :D

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

6 minutes ago, Lance said:

And also, its worth noting that vaccination is medicine. Just like a blood transfusion is medicine.

The rationale for forcing blood transfusions on Jehovah’s Witnesses was because it was “life-saving“. That’s the same rationale being used here to indirectly force a vaccine potentially on our brothers. 

Just my opinion.

Edited by Bob