JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/20/health/us-coronavirus-tuesday/index.html

Highly contagious Delta variant now makes up 83% of US coronavirus cases, CDC says

The Delta variant of Covid-19 now makes up more than 80% of sequenced samples in the United States, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said Tuesday.
"CDC has released estimates of variants across the country and predicted the Delta variant now represents 83% of sequenced cases," she said in a Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions hearing. "This is a dramatic increase, up from 50% for the week of July 3."

16 hours ago, Eddie said:

They later corrected the story saying it was a mistake. They meant to say that 60% of the hospital admissions were unvaccinated. 

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-vallance-corrects-mistake-to-say-60-of-people-being-admitted-to-hospital-with-coronavirus-are-unvaccinated-12359317

They're very, very effective, but not 100%, and as a higher proportion of the population is double-vaccinated, it's inevitable that those 10% of that very large number remain at risk, and therefore will be amongst the people who both catch the infection and end up in hospital.

It does seem confusing.

I don't think we can infer the 40% info from the 60% info he said.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

5 hours ago, Shawnster said:

The way grammar works...  Yes, the story is reporting that out of all the people admitted to the hospital with covid, 60% of those people are not vaccinated....

Either someone is really bad at writing and keeps getting it wrong, which would be unfortunate in that profession, or it's simple math (100% - 60% = 40%) Even including all the little variations that you mentioned, this number seems off. 

But yeah, I don't take numbers in the media at face value either...

3 minutes ago, Dages said:

That would not be weird. Astrazeneca isn't good and Pfizer is weak against the Delta variant.

Are you saying the number is so high because those vaccines aren't working with the delta variant? 🤔

That would be horrible.

To give effectiveness of vaccines perspective.

In the states say some 100 million are vaccinated ( it is more ).

At 95% effective that means 5 million it doesn't protect.

If 300 million ever get vaccinated then 15 million would not be protected.

If you repeat a lie just because you believe it is true doesn't change the fact that it is still a lie.

Many states with lowest vaccinated rates have highest infections and hospitalization,  such as Alabama,  Mississippi, Florida,  Missouri, etc. Politics, fake news, distrust of medicine and misinformation contribute to low vaccinated rate.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

“We were pleasantly surprised to find that the antibody remained detective and effective for more than a year POS.”
Well no surprises over here! What else is new?
C o v i d recovered people become imune! We know that for ages

Dynamic Characteristic Analysis of Antibodies in Patients With COVID-19: A 13-Month Study

source:https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2021.708184/full

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

18 hours ago, On the huh said:

I'm getting confused as to the effectiveness of the vaccines.   It keeps changing.  One week its 80% effective, the next they say its only 60%, another time its something else.

Which is why I'm waiting. These people change with the wind and are never consistent. They haven't been for nearly 2 years now. 

What kills me about the Delta variant is that this one supposedly has symptoms that mimic the common cold and aren't like the symptoms of the original virus. How it completely shifted into something else I will never know. I also want to know how many people are actually dying from Delta, because I don't know how something that gives you symptoms of the common cold turns into a full blown ICU case. Generally, viruses get weaker the more they mutate, unless I'm missing something with that. 

https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/72121-1

Everyone has an agenda, an opinion or a feeling. We still don't know where any of it leads. Safe to say the directions from the GB is OUR true source of information. It may not stop the virus but it keeps us safe and healthy in the mean time.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

The situation in Sydney is getting dire. There seems to be no way contact tracers can stay in front of the delta variant, which is still circulating in the community despite the community entering its 5th week of lockdown. This variant cannot be quashed by traditional means like Australia managed to do last year.

Since we are all very much behind the eightball when it comes to covid immunity (as we didn’t have community cases like everywhere else), and an acute shortage of Pfizer vax plus slow uptake of AstraZeneca vax has meant people are basically sitting ducks.

The delta strain is deadly for young ones. 

Nobel Prize-winning immunity and infection expert Peter Doherty said COVID-19 was much less a disease of the elderly than had previously been the case.

"It's very sad that a young woman should die from COVID, or from anything for that matter," Professor Doherty said.

"But I think it highlights that particularly this Delta variant that's circulating now is really quite problematic in younger people.

This woman was in her thirties, and healthy.

He said of 43 people in intensive care, one was a teenager, seven were in their 20s, three were in their 30s, 14 were in their 50s, 12 were in their 60s and six were in their 70s.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-25/young-people-warned-after-covid-death-of-woman-in-her-30s/100321924

IT'S NOT A DISEASE OF THE ELDERLY!

And yet, around the country, and particularly in Sydney, many thousands have protested en mass against the lockdown. Time will tell if these will end up being super spreader events. With Delta spreading, I’m thinking it will.

E8088497-4938-4AF6-AC0C-7D5D20E86F06.jpeg.1798dff443e258f41d0333db6762b28d.jpeg

Edited by hatcheckgirl

People are frustrated!  The Government has lied to them and religion has lied to them too.  There is no cohesiveness among any nation.

This pandemic has turned political all over the world.  The politicians have taken this out of the hands of the health experts applying rules and laws to a pandemic of which they had no experience of nor, did they know the magnitude!!  Pandemic knows no laws nor boundaries.  This is the consequence.

These are ALL monumental signs of the closing of this system of things.  People will take no note just like they did in the days of Noah when he was building the monumental ark right underneath their noses.

I think that, on the whole, it’s been a lot less political than from what I’ve seen in the US especially. In the main, the government state premiers and prime minister have tried to follow the health directives that scientists and other health experts have given them.

But what is happening is, even apart from the massive protests this weekend, there have been irresponsible people who don’t want to follow the rules. For instance:

• removalists (house movers) not wearing masks when leaving Sydney hotspots and travelling interstate have spread the virus into Victoria- DELIBERATE
  • A different set of removalists travelled around the regional (country) areas KNOWINGLY having a positive result for covid. Their mother in her 50s was found dead last week, from covid.
  • Families who gather in each other’s homes to support each other in defiance of stay at home orders - spreading within households - again DELIBERATE
  • young ones who think having a party is ok - DELIBERATE

I think you've all read similar stories. What’s different now is that essential workers cannot go to work without spreading the delta virus, a different beast from last years initial one. The workforce in usually in their 20s to 60s. So many younger ones are getting infected, but not able to fight this delta variant.

With only 15% of the population fully vaccinated now, getting out of lockdown is not an option. Yet, it also can’t drag on like this. So the protesters have basically made it worse for everyone now.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57958358

“A California man who mocked Covid-19 vaccines on social media has died after a month-long battle with the virus.
Stephen Harmon, a member of the Hillsong megachurch, had been a vocal opponent of vaccines, making a series of jokes about not having the vaccine.
"Got 99 problems but a vax ain't one," the 34-year-old tweeted to his 7,000 followers in June.
He was treated for pneumonia and Covid-19 in a hospital outside Los Angeles, where he died on Wednesday.”

He thought God was going to protect him.

Stay safe!

33 minutes ago, Dages said:

That could lead to a good slap on BtG

I keep saying that this pandemic CAN end up in GT

dont know if we will have time at all to resume meetings and door to door preaching at all

the World situation is getting worse 

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

I think that, on the whole, it’s been a lot less political than from what I’ve seen in the US especially. In the main, the government state premiers and prime minister have tried to follow the health directives that scientists and other health experts have given them.

But what is happening is, even apart from the massive protests this weekend, there have been irresponsible people who don’t want to follow the rules. For instance:

• removalists (house movers) not wearing masks when leaving Sydney hotspots and travelling interstate have spread the virus into Victoria- DELIBERATE
  • A different set of removalists travelled around the regional (country) areas KNOWINGLY having a positive result for covid. Their mother in her 50s was found dead last week, from covid.
  • Families who gather in each other’s homes to support each other in defiance of stay at home orders - spreading within households - again DELIBERATE

I think you've all read similar stories. What’s different now is that essential workers cannot go to work without spreading the delta virus, a different beast from last years initial one. The workforce in usually in their 20s to 60s. So many younger ones are getting infected, but not able to fight this delta variant.

With only 15% of the population fully vaccinated now, getting out of lockdown is not an option. Yet, it also can’t drag on like this. So the protesters have basically made it worse for everyone now.

Now it's less political.  Yes, we do have a different beast now but, who started this confusion? The governments!  Now everyone is scrambling for some normalcy but, it is eluding them because "the genie is out of the bottle" so to speak.

They were lied to when this pandemic started.  Now we have mass confusion as governments refuse to implement mandates.

They claim they have rights and, they do.  They have the right to choose to die if they so wish but, in doing so they a infect other people in the process and violate their rights to live.  They want things to be normal.  Its not going to happen.  The window of opportunity is closed.

11 minutes ago, cme said:

Now it's less political.  Yes, we do have a different beast now but, who started this confusion? The governments!  Now everyone is scrambling for some normalcy but, it is eluding them because "the genie is out of the bottle" so to speak.

They were lied to when this pandemic started.  Now we have mass confusion as governments refuse to implement mandates.

They claim they have rights and, they do.  They have the right to choose to die if they so wish but, in doing so they a infect other people in the process and violate their rights to live.  They want things to be normal.  Its not going to happen.  The window of opportunity is closed.

This is true sis. I hate to say this the WH will be in a lock down, no meeting at halls, not going out in the field into 2022. It is a total mess.

2 hours ago, Tbs77 said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57958358

“A California man who mocked Covid-19 vaccines on social media has died after a month-long battle with the virus.
Stephen Harmon, a member of the Hillsong megachurch, had been a vocal opponent of vaccines, making a series of jokes about not having the vaccine.
"Got 99 problems but a vax ain't one," the 34-year-old tweeted to his 7,000 followers in June.
He was treated for pneumonia and Covid-19 in a hospital outside Los Angeles, where he died on Wednesday.”

He thought God was going to protect him.emoji30.png

Stay safe!

Wow! They still doing that?  After all the proof of others protesting against the Virus, then catching it and dying from it.

(There's a scripture for that).

Proverbs 27:11- Be wise, my son, and make my heart rejoice, So that I can make a reply to him that taunts me.

2 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

I’ve found this Covid 19 Event in Sydney quite frustrating, I’m mean for a year we have been quite well, while the rest of the world suffers, now we have the delta variant the mps politicians, Premiers are going overboard in examining risk and assessment with this virus, I’m mean I don’t Blame them with what is happening in the rest of the world, it just means we cannot work and Go out of a 10km Radius. With the  current lockdown I don’t blame the people getting annoyed though, but to take part in a protest without mask is a bit stupid. I watched the annual meeting talk By Kenneth Cook again, will you keep standing among the righteous. At the end of the talk he said Do not be swayed by popular protest remain neutral no part of it, Good Spiritual food Indeed.

Let Gods Kingdom Come.