JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

11 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Dr Stanford said one-third of workers in NSW could be in isolation over the coming weeks."

In the last 11 days 3 of the 7 people in my shop have been declared close contacts. Today's positivity is 50.4% but people just can't get tests. Hospital cases have more than doubled in last couple of weeks but ICU numbers are slightly down (but rising slowly). 

10 hours ago, Shawnster said:

mandate masks and limit large gatherings.  Not a full shut down, but controlling crowd size and exposure.  Only allow vaccinated in restaurants and entertainment events.  

8 hours ago, trottigy said:

Mandating something and people actually following the mandate is 2 very different things, eh.

Ireland has a good balance of freedom with restrictions (eg you need a vaccine passport to enter a pub or restaurant) but you can see many people are very sloppy about obeying them and this is reflected in case numbers. None of the contacts in my place would I count as careful (but I'm glad two are in the clear). 

Following the Societies guidelines has worked for Bethel, and worked for my household. 

If someone says

Hugh that's O'D, you and your wife both got Covid. 

From how sick wife and son were we assume they got Covid in December 2019, we didn't know it existed then. While I got it after the lockdown started the timing implies I was infected pre lockdown.

As said before, it was comments on this forum that helped me and family to be careful before the society was giving full on counsel and it's worked. 

Sidenote: Customer today trying to hold up his broken mask while carrying a box of wine. I keep a personal stash of masks for precisely this reason. Hold out a bin so he can throw the old mask into it and then squirt hand sanitizer into his hands (masks are dangerous). I explain "I follow a dancing doctor on TikTok so I'm very careful about these things... That's probably the weirdest comment you'll hear today", he didn't disagree. 

Came home from shopping this morning and new sign up at elevator.

Covid is in the building. Young sister upstairs knows of 3 cases and there are more. Some are witnesses.

I would lay odds that one of them is a man who said he didn't have to wear a mask due to a doctor's note.

Reminds me of over the holidays it came to light that a small Ontario hockey group didn't have to get vaccinated since they all got a note from a doctor,,,,doctor from British Columbia and they never met.

Since then medical exemptions have to be fully documented and false doctor's note can make doctor lose his license.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

22 minutes ago, vern said:

if everyone is doing the rules.....  then why is it spreading?.....  or better said  how....

People aren't doing the rules, and that is precisely the problem.

Rule: Social distancing. Stay at least 6' away from another person.

Observance: Concerts, crowds, parties, large gatherings.

Rule: If you can't stay 6' or more away, wear a mask.

Observance: Most people are maskless.

Rule: Most stores have signs posted on their doors "Please wear a mask in our building"

Observance: No respect. Most don't care.

Rule:  Suggestion: Get vaccinated

Observance: Nah, this web-moron said it's evil in his podcast.

Result: Daily case numbers are skyrocketing.

Humans, in general, are not very bright.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

Perhaps because people don't follow the mandates 🤷

Can't catch covid if you aren't around an infected person. 

People have been following the mandates for 2 years.

In fact my co-worker fully vaxxed and boosted was out for a month with Covid.

In my opinion, to act like humans can control Covid is to give them powers they don’t have..the powers of God.

So are you suggesting that humans can actually control a highly contagious, widespread virus?

If so they’re God. Humans are limited. We all know this.

But we are here suggesting that they can do what God can do if we merely “follow the rules”.

Edited by Bob

5 minutes ago, Bob said:

family feud GIF

No, most people aren't. Down here in Ohio it's ignorant maskless unvaccinated people everywhere close enough to tell if you brushed your teeth lately.

Cuz 'Merica, ya know :lol1:

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

Just now, Dismal_Bliss said:

family feud GIF

No, most people aren't. Down here in Ohio it's ignorant maskless unvaccinated people everywhere close enough to tell if you brushed your teeth lately.

I disagree. NOW most people don’t. Because we have vaccines and tools to deal with it. But in 2020 they did because they were scared to death.

Humans are inherently risk-adverse. 

12 minutes ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

I hear you. Serious question. Why is “Cuz ‘Merica” is bad thing all of a sudden?

The only reason why we can preach and meet freely, is because of America. In other countries we could be banned at a moments notice. See Russia. 

Freedom is a two-way street. And that’s the beauty of this country. 

If a country can freely squash all of our freedoms due to a virus, then they have the precedent to squash our religious freedom, and our freedom of speech, and freedom of anything.

All they have to do is claim that it is in our “safety” to do so.  So in theory, they could easily say that they can restrict Jehovah’s Witnesses because they are trying to keep our country “safe“ from a dangerous “cult”.

Its happening in Russia as we speak. 

Edited by Bob

9 minutes ago, rocket said:

I'm thinking that "Merica" and Recalcitrant means about the same thing nowadays.

What it actually means in my opinion, is that the United States is a free country depending on the circumstances. 

But that’s just my opinion. I’m hardly right all the time. 

The way our particular constitution is written doesn’t cover pandemics. Not a single mention. Because The founders were more concerned, legitimately, about abuse of power.

Edited by Bob

43 minutes ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

family feud GIF

Bob quoting Bob, confused emoji by Bob ....scratching my head trying to figure out who is who ?, I don't like puzzles  LOL :lol1:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

6 hours ago, vern said:

if everyone is doing the rules.....  then why is it spreading?.....  or better said  how....

Good question 

you will get the answer soon

very soon

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

Case numbers have run away.
Here DownUnder, the figures are the highest they have ever been. However, the testing stations have been overrun, that many have paused or suspended their testing. Many sick ones now just go home and do not get tested. So the reported figures are grossly under the actual number of cases.

The consolation is the number of deaths at this point is not following the trend.

World chart below:

Old (Downunder) Tone

Jan2022Cases.png

Jan2022Deaths.png

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

9 hours ago, Bob said:

See post directly above yours.  Specifically:

10 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

Rule: Social distancing. Stay at least 6' away from another person.

Observance: Concerts, crowds, parties, large gatherings.

Rule: If you can't stay 6' or more away, wear a mask.

Observance: Most people are maskless.

Rule: Most stores have signs posted on their doors "Please wear a mask in our building"

Observance: No respect. Most don't care.

Rule:  Suggestion: Get vaccinated

Observance: Nah, this web-moron said it's evil in his podcast.

9 hours ago, Bob said:

I disagree. NOW most people don’t. Because we have vaccines and tools to deal with it. But in 2020 they did because they were scared to death.

And we are now seeing numbers of cases surpassing anything we saw in 2020.  Theaters open, restaurants open, concerts and sporting events almost like normal...   And 20k new covid cases per day in Ohio. 

9 hours ago, Bob said:

The tools are vaccines, masks, and social distancing. Nothing has changed. 

A post ago you said people were obeying the mandates. Then a post later you say "NOW most people don't".

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

So are they or aren't they obeying. In my local area and what I am able to observe on a national and worldwide scale, the answer is no.

9 hours ago, Bob said:

Why is “Cuz ‘Merica” is bad thing all of a sudden?

The only reason why we can preach and meet freely, is because of America... Freedom is a two-way street. And that’s the beauty of this country. 

You know that it's simply an idiom, figure of speech, almost a meme way of stereotyping the way the local hillbilly folk think around here: bald eagle sitting on their one shoulder, american flag draped over the other, bottle of jack daniels in one hand and an AR15 in the other, no sleeves and a naked woman tattoo...

... so I'm not going to get drawn into a political debate with you.

5 minutes ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

The tools are vaccines, masks, and social distancing. Nothing has changed. 

A post ago you said people were obeying the mandates. Then a post later you say "NOW most people don't".

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

So are they or aren't they obeying. In my local area and what I am able to observe on a national and worldwide scale, the answer is no.

Yeah. I didn’t contradict myself. I said NOW they don’t, as in since the tools have become available.

Secondly, mandates have been largely dropped nationwide save a few locals. 

In Michigan, the Gov dropped all mandates last June and refuses to reinstate any. 

53 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

And we are now seeing numbers of cases surpassing anything we saw in 2020.  Theaters open, restaurants open, concerts and sporting events almost like normal...   And 20k new covid cases per day in Ohio. 

Right. But they were rising WITH the mandates.

Humans are limited. We can’t control covid. We can keep trying, though. But most states have stopped trying because  they can’t. 

Edited by Bob

Just a brief point on the spread of this thing.

Omicron and Delta evaded vaccines in the sense that vaccinated people are spreading it. That’s not anti science. 

• A vaccine breakthrough infection happens when a fully vaccinated person gets infected with COVID-19. People with vaccine breakthrough infections may spread COVID-19 to others”

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/effectiveness/why-measure-effectiveness/breakthrough-cases.html

It’s been proven that cloth masks, has no affect on Omicron. Yet most people wear them still:

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/9091574002

So it’s not really about the mandates - it’s about covid simply getting around the tools.

So it’s gonna spread regardless, unless, society is completely shut down or partially shut down for indefinite periods of time. 

Edited by Bob

3 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Your 20K amount is just my county, Cuyahoga.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#county-view?list_select_state=Ohio&data-type=Risk&list_select_county=39035

image.thumb.png.3b93bb1e9db66a40ad5fdde1602128fd.png

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible