JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

5 hours ago, Godskingdomrules said:

Not very lethal except for the non vax and immune compromised

Tell that to the ones who have died even though they were healthy

Also, there is some concern over the long-term effects of Omicron leaving damage to internal organs

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

10 hours ago, VisualizeUrParadise said:

How lethal is Omicron?

The answer to this question is based on an incredible number of factors.

For starters, it's still SARS, and it's still deadly. But just like they have said over the last 2 years, you are primarily at risk of dying if you are older or have other underlying health issues that are already taxing your immune system. This hasn't changed.

If you are vaccinated, particularly with an MRNA vaccine, you are much less likely to end up in the hospital, on a ventilator, or in a box underground, and will probably just experience a mild cold for a few days. If you are not vaccinated, you're in for a real doozy of a pretty severe coldlike illness that might last up to 2 weeks.

With that said, it's less severe than Delta was. On the other hand, the vaccines held up better against Delta, often preventing infection at all. Omicron may infect you regardless but you could have no idea and unwittingly pass it to someone else. Therefore, social distance when possible, and mask up when it's not possible, which is also nothing new. 

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

While omicron may not be as deadly, in Australia, the sheer number of cases has resulted in the most deaths experienced since this all started in 2020.
The change of tack by the Australian Govt (Excluding West Australia) has opened State Borders, resulting in the spread of the virus.

Now some international flights are landing as well.

To ask if a strain is more or less deadly is a complex question with many variables.

In this particular case, one could say: 'Yes.'
Here are some figures:

Old (Downunder) Tone

Oz-1.png

Oz-2.png

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

1 hour ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

Oz-1.png

Less than 100 

Watch the graphic scale.... if you compare with other countries the scale is different. So actualy not so many deaths in comparizon. 

image.thumb.png.0512e331bf8d4ee0f274f7e3b7c460f5.pngI ve attached Portugal´s data:

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

A new sub variant of omicron is circulating in several countries, however the article says evidence hints it may be not too different from omicron.  Just some updated information:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/omicron-sub-variant-throws-up-new-virus-questions/ar-AAT2DGJ?ocid=msedgntp

Also, if anyone has a need:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/how-to-get-free-n95-masks-from-the-government/ar-AASWSqW?ocid=msedgntp

18 hours ago, Qapla said:

Tell that to the ones who have died even though they were healthy

Also, there is some concern over the long-term effects of Omicron leaving damage to internal organs

If you Look at the data as compared to the Delta variant it is not as lethal, but I guess more people are getting it omimoron, so more numbers of infected people mean more deaths as a whole.

Long term affects of omnicron are still unknown the media like to draw it out, I wouldn’t give to much credibility to those news articles.

When a connection between shingles suffered when those with it were of advanced age and a connection to chicken pox those people had when they were children was first mentioned - people did not put much credence in those news articles either ... of course, we know much better now and it is accepted as fact that chicken pox and shingles ARE connected.

Our best hope about any really long-term problems Covid-19 may leave in its wake it the New System - :thumbsup:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

16 hours ago, Sofia said:

if you compare with other countries the scale is different.

Duh, lol. 

His graphs still show an increase in deaths, which is the point. Omicron is less lethal, which means you are statistically more likely to survive. But it is incredibly more contagious, which mean more people are getting infected at an unprecedented rate, therefore hospitalizations and deaths go up.

It is still the course of wisdom to stay more than 6' away from others, mask up in public, and get the Governing Body endorsed vaccine to demonstrate you value your life and don't take unnecessary risks with it.

3 hours ago, Godskingdomrules said:

the media like to draw it out, I wouldn’t give to much credibility to those news articles.

Let's not dog the mainstream media too hard. Unless they are promoting some wild conspiracy theory, like an "anti-vax" mentality, they are just reporting the news - which in the case of this novel virus, is expected to be updated and more data comes in.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

When are we all just going to accept COVID is here to stay? There will always be variants because that's what viruses of this nature do, and they didn't produce a sterilizing vaccine, while also going around for weeks telling the vaccinated they don't carry it, can't spread it, and can forgo a mask. Now they want to turn around and look at people like they're crazy.

There will never be an end to this in this system. We will just have to live with it.

Edited by runner92

At last! My colleagues finally saw that if you had covid YOU ARE PROTECTED, no need for vaccination.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7104e1.htm#contribAff

im keep saying this for 22 months now. Im glad it´s out now. This is a great study, well done. Trustworthy :)

If you dont know if you had previous covid, better think about vaccine protection. Though the actual vaccines are less than 50% effective against OMICRON  😕😕😕 But effective against severe disease or death.

New strategies must be on the way....

Dont forget that omicron spreads through fomites as well. So difficult to avoid omicron...

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

1 hour ago, Sofia said:

My colleagues finally saw that if you had covid YOU ARE PROTECTED, no need for vaccination.

From the article

Before Delta became the predominant variant in June, case rates were higher among persons who survived a previous infection than persons who were vaccinated alone.

Ie, infection alone was not as good as vaccine alone. What I think Sofia is looking at

By early October, persons who survived a previous infection had lower case rates than persons who were vaccinated alone.

But note the word "alone". They go on to say

Although the epidemiology of COVID-19 might change as new variants emerge, vaccination remains the safest strategy for averting future SARS-CoV-2 infections, hospitalizations, long-term sequelae, and death. Primary vaccination, additional doses, and booster doses are recommended for all eligible persons. Additional future recommendations for vaccine doses might be warranted as the virus and immunity levels change.

So they're still saying get the vaccine. Nowhere in the article does it say if you've been infected you don't need a vaccine. There's numbers, lots and lots of numbers but one example (I'll quote then break it down)

For example, during the week of October 3, compared with rates among unvaccinated persons without a previous COVID-19 diagnosis, rates among vaccinated persons without a previous diagnosis were 6.2-fold lower (95% CI = 6.0–6.4) in California and 4.5-fold lower (95% CI = 4.3–4.7) in New York (Table 2). Further, rates among unvaccinated persons with a previous COVID-19 diagnosis were 29-fold lower (95% CI = 25.0–33.1) than rates among unvaccinated persons without a previous COVID-19 diagnosis in California and 14.7-fold lower (95% CI = 12.6–16.9) in New York. Rates among vaccinated persons who had had COVID-19 were 32.5-fold lower (95% CI = 27.5–37.6) than rates among unvaccinated persons without a previous COVID-19 diagnosis in California and 19.8-fold lower (95% CI = 16.2–23.5) in New York

They compare likelihood of being Infected if you're Unvaxed and have no previous infection. So likelihood of being Infected in California were

Vaxed, never infected: 6.2 fold lower

Unvaxed, previous case: 29 fold lower

Vaxed, previous case: 32.5 fold lower.

So, even though this was a time when the vaccine were wearing off you were still best to be vaxed and having had an infection.

Hospitalization rates followed the same pattern.

Firstly this is not news to me. That there is ongoing research is commendable but I've heard this information from reputable sources before.

Second nowhere in this article or it's statistics did I ever see the claim "no need for vaccination". If anyone wants to say it does please provide quote and paragraph.

Ps, as I may be coming over as a pro-vaxer I repeat the Society's position that each one carries their own load, that is from Jehovah and I support it wholesouled.

And if you want to watch the video where this CDC paper is explained, and this is regarding Delta, not Omicron.

So, the most at risk by far are the UNVACCINATED with no previous covid

Followed by VACCINATED with no previous diagnosis (at a much much lower risk).

But equally low risk are:

UNVACCINATED with previous covid or

VACCINATED with previous covid.

7A99163A-B8FC-4A74-966D-B1634DCC94A4.thumb.png.c11f01fd409af1e2bf02a63084f3abe0.png

C42907F6-C989-4528-AD4A-400C216C214B.thumb.png.0e1e497cbf05dec8fbdbfbcfd989daf1.png

It is NOT recommended to get covid naively, as the risk is too high of adverse effects and deaths. The graph in the video convincingly shows immunity from infection and vaccines are greatly assisting avoiding serious illness and death.

Edited by hatcheckgirl

37 minutes ago, Hugh O'D said:

Ps, as I may be coming over as a pro-vaxer I repeat the Society's position that each one carries their own load, that is from Jehovah and I support it wholesouled

Bethelites need vaccinations. They had no contact with the virus … early HCoV contacts didn’t prove much protection against SARS.

it made all sense to vaccinate as much as possible in bethels 😊

45 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

And if you want to watch the video where this CDC paper is explained, and this is regarding Delta, not Omicron.

Exactly! Thank you 🙏 you are a treasure with this great video

Edited by Sofia

44 minutes ago, Hugh O'D said:

Nowhere in the article does it say if you've been infected you don't need a vaccine

Sorry you missed that

because it’s in that paper 

the video explains the paper better than me. English is not my mother thong. I was invited to go to TV explain imunity. I hope I help people understand the truth. Vaccines? Yes! But not too many. 
a Taylored scheme for each individual is more adequate than same thumb rule for all

3 hours ago, Sofia said:

At last! My colleagues finally saw that if you had covid YOU ARE PROTECTED, no need for vaccination.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7104e1.htm#contribAff

im keep saying this for 22 months now. Im glad it´s out now. This is a great study, well done. Trustworthy :)

If you dont know if you had previous covid, better think about vaccine protection. Though the actual vaccines are less than 50% effective against OMICRON  😕😕😕 But effective against severe disease or death.

New strategies must be on the way....

Dont forget that omicron spreads through fomites as well. So difficult to avoid omicron...

Another link:

https://www.cell.com/cell-reports-medicine/fulltext/S2666-3791(22)00023-4
No need for vaccine boosters for infected people.
“Long-term neutralizing activity is stable beyond one year after infection in mild/asymptomatic and hospitalized participants. …responses of non-hospitalized [patients] are dominated by long-lived B cells”

68F459A6-6B9F-484D-BE3F-97F5EE77ABB0.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Sofia said:

Sorry you missed that

because it’s in that paper

Where? The author's clearly say people should get vaccinated (, I'm not getting into that debate). If you're going to say it's in the article please quote it and day where the quote is.

The article finishes

Thus, vaccination remains the safest and primary strategy to prevent SARS-CoV-2 infections, associated complications, and onward transmission. Primary COVID-19 vaccination, additional doses, and booster doses are recommended by CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices to ensure that all eligible persons are up to date with COVID-19 vaccination, which provides the most robust protection against initial infection, severe illness, hospitalization, long-term sequelae, and death.

I see you've posted another article but your claim about the first was inaccurate.

10 minutes ago, Sofia said:

No need for vaccine boosters for infected people

The bit you quote even says 

Vaccination boosts neutralizing response to natural infection

And after it says in the article

In both groups, vaccination boosts responses to natural infection

The vaccination boosts the body's response. That's a good thing. 

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

So, the most at risk by far are the UNVACCINATED with no previous covid

Followed by VACCINATED with no previous diagnosis (at a much much lower risk).

But equally low risk are:

UNVACCINATED with previous covid or

VACCINATED with previous covid.

7A99163A-B8FC-4A74-966D-B1634DCC94A4.thumb.png.c11f01fd409af1e2bf02a63084f3abe0.png

C42907F6-C989-4528-AD4A-400C216C214B.thumb.png.0e1e497cbf05dec8fbdbfbcfd989daf1.png

It is NOT recommended to get covid naively, as the risk is too high of adverse effects and deaths. The graph in the video convincingly shows immunity from infection and vaccines are greatly assisting avoiding serious illness and death.

I saw that in the papers 

thank you

two other fellow scientists ( dr John Campel and dr Gabor Erdosi) also tweeted today an hour ago agreeing with this…

if we all saw it wrong then I’m sorry 😞 

I respect everyone here

tryed to be useful

not sharing lies

i don’t lie 

some had covid and fear to be vaccinated 

I thought this was good science for them. All I wanted was to help.

sorry 😖😖😖

in the future I won’t share anything scientific in here. I don’t want to create havoc confusions.

I don’t want to be mrs.confusion-creator. Better be shut them

Edited by Sofia

11 minutes ago, Sofia said:

not sharing lies

i don’t lie 

I was very specific in not accusing you of lies. Misunderstanding happens to us all. 

13 minutes ago, Sofia said:

In the future I won’t share anything scientific in here.

No one's asking that, we're all sharing what we know and learning as we go on. But if we're going to say an article says something we need to be as sure of it as we are when we claim a scripture says something. 

For instance, the article you quoted did support vaccination but if I claimed it said everyone should get vaccinated I'd be lying (and rightly called out on it).

Especially if there's a chance that someone will make a life affecting choice on what we say we have to check everything out thoroughly.

I look forward to your next post @Sofia

On 1/23/2022 at 1:15 PM, runner92 said:

When are we all just going to accept COVID is here to stay? There will always be variants because that's what viruses of this nature do, and they didn't produce a sterilizing vaccine, while also going around for weeks telling the vaccinated they don't carry it, can't spread it, and can forgo a mask. Now they want to turn around and look at people like they're crazy.

There will never be an end to this in this system. We will just have to live with it.

Early on when the vaccines first came out, early data indicated that we might have gotten lucky as vaccinated people were not getting infected with the virus and "breakthrough cases" were rare. That's why the message went out that vaccinated people could stop wearing masks. 

But as time went on and more data came in, these "breakthrough cases" began to climb larger than we had hoped. Then new variants emerged that definitely proved to be more transmissable and eventually it became understood that these vaccines were like most other vaccines, namely, they don't provide sterilizing immunity. Then the message went out to put the masks back on.

That's human rulership for you 😉

7 hours ago, Sofia said:

At last! My colleagues finally saw that if you had covid YOU ARE PROTECTED....

Um... this is not news, and definitely nothing new. This is what we've been saying all along. The goal of so-called "herd immunity" will be acheived through either vaccination or through natural infection. Obviously, you are in a smarter and safer position if you get vaccinated, as your risk of hospitalization and death will be reduced.

7 hours ago, Sofia said:

... no need for vaccination.

Whoa there, Sofia. Hold the phone. The article is not saying that previously infected individuals now have no need for vaccination. It's simply stating that previously infected individuals are statistically less likely to end up in the hospital if reinfected, because previous infection provides some lasting protection. But the article also states that you are still in a better position if you get vaccinated in addition to your natural infection.

Let's remember the article said....

"These results suggest that vaccination protects against COVID-19 and related hospitalization and that surviving a previous infection [also] protects against a reinfection."

"...the early period of this study... found more protection from vaccination than from previous infection during periods before Delta predominance"

"...additional protection with widespread receipt of booster COVID-19 vaccine doses is expected... Thus, vaccination remains the safest and primary strategy to prevent SARS-CoV-2 infections"

7 hours ago, Sofia said:

If you dont know if you had previous covid, better think about vaccine protection. [They are] effective against severe disease or death.

And to this, I wholeheartedly agree. And as our Governing Body update videos demonstrate, we should all be on board with this if posssible. 

4 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

It's simply stating that previously infected individuals are statistically less likely to end up in the hospital if reinfected, because previous infection provides some lasting protection. But the article also states that you are still in a better position if you get vaccinated in addition to your natural infection

In other words: if you had covid and get vaccinated you are NOT MORE protected against Delta. Current Vaccines do not improve your protection against Delta.

but..,

things have changed since November,

we now have omicron a totally different variant.

4 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

And to this, I wholeheartedly agree. And as our Governing Body update videos demonstrate, we should all be on board with this if posssible. 

Sure!