JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

10 hours ago, Hope said:

We heard similar today. We have a remote Bethel couple in our congregation. The brother let us know that Gilead graduation is off limits to any outside guests- including family and friends of the graduates. 🙁  Behind the scenes private tours by Bethelites are verboten- only Bethelites in the work areas now.  🙁

I hope this is all sorted by end of May. This is wrecking my cool NY trip 😭

Does this mean all tours to the bethels in New York are cancelled?

10 hours ago, Lee49 said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/03/coronavirus-live-updates-covid-19-california-cdc-numbers-deaths/4929223002/

Coronavirus live updates: 9th US. death is confirmed as WHO rejects pandemic

As the U.S. confirmed its ninth coronavirus death Tuesday, World Health Organization officials defended their controversial decision not to declare a pandemic, citing nations such as Brazil that have few or no confirmed cases.

"One of the dangers of using the pandemic word is that you would want containment to continue," Ryan said. But he also said that "I would urge all our member states to be ready for very serious, sustained community transmission."

I like the way an english youtuber Dr John Campbell puts it regarding the WHO's reluctance to use the word pandemic:

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

11 hours ago, WilliamChew said:

Eric, as you had pneumonia, why weren't you hospitalized?

I had microplasma pneumonia a few years ago and I was put on antibiotic drip for one week before I was cured. During that one week I coughed non stop (dry cough) and lost 5kg.

Yea i wonder the same thing.  I was sick for over a month.  A good week in bed.  Of course i refused to go to doc at first. She told me at my follow-up visit that she was really concerned about me and I looked like death at the time.  I think I need a new doctor. I've been saying that for years. She just doesn't seem very bright!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51734185

Italian government 'to close schools'
The Italian government is to close all schools and universities around the country until mid March because of the coronavirus outbreak, Ansa news agency reports.

Earlier officials reported a jump in cases and deaths from the virus.

...they take it very serious!

TWO strains of the killer coronavirus are spreading around the world - and 70% of infected patients have caught the more aggressive and contagious type, study claims. 

https://trib.al/SqUw2ov

Italy has announced the closure off all schools and universities due to the spread of coronavirus, as the death toll across the country rose to 79.

An elder kindly sent me the link to the advice on JW.org.

C8B0C3F9-CC79-45D1-B175-56575E89C29E.jpeg.41cf02111218cd9d1de99287f8f2de29.jpeg

Luke 16:9 “Also, I say to you: Make friends for yourselves by means of the unrighteous riches, ...

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Coronavirus updates by country: https://imgur.com/gallery/y8DWAtQ

CNBC had an article stating that the mortality rate of COVID-19 differs, and ranges from 0.7% to 4% depending on the quality of the healthcare system where the patient is treated.  And it's deadlier for people with pre-existing conditions.  Right now, the US has 17 resolved cases with 9 deaths and 8 patients who've recovered.  However, the US has barely tested 500 people, so the sample size is not just too small to be statistically relevant, it's probably incorrect as well.

2 hours ago, WilliamChew said:

Dr. Matt McCarthy, an infectious disease physician laments on the lack of corona virus test kits in the US.

Yep it’s true. The CDC is not issuing any such kits to hospitals.  It is assumed that if the person is sick enough to be in the hospital and fits the profile we can sent off samples to a central location for testing. 

In a way it makes sense. No need to pointlessly test everyone when we are already pretty sure everyone is gonna get It anyway. 

How to make your own DIY hand sanitizer - Trying to buy sanitizer around my area, even at the Dollar Store, is getting impossible, so why not make your own? It's simple. What I did today was went to my local grocery store ( non available of course) and bought 1 bottle of 70% isopropyl alcohol and a couple pump bottles of aloe gel. I had a near empty small pump bottle so I filled it 1/3 aloe & 2/3  alcohol, shaking it up, that's it done, with plenty left over as we run down on the already mixed bottles.The picture on the far right is the DIY bottle, simple.

20200304_124128.jpg

2020-03-04_13h07_20.png