JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

This open letter explains clearly why herd immunity is too high a cost. He explains why governments will take drastic measures eventually when there are too many cases.

Open Letter 2 on COVID-19: Aggressive Social Distancing is Everyone’s Responsibility.

Rapid exponential growth will continue, forcing the society to take increasingly desperate and drastic measures. Measures that may appear unthinkable now can appear inevitable 2 weeks later.  Societies have no choice but to throw everything they have at containing COVID-19 until it takes effect.  The cost of these measures, while extremely high, is still much less than the cost resulting from the alternative of letting COVID-19 spread.  When this happens, COVID-19 will be contained, as it has been in China and S. Korea.

The plan to gain herd immunity against COVID-19 is, in my opinion, either utter incompetence or sheer madness, even if one ignores the fact that it lets a significant percentage of the population die when the cost of containing it is much less (see, e.g., S. Korea).

The claim is that herd immunity against COVID-19 requires 60% or more of the population to be infected.  
(I believe that it takes significantly higher percentage, but I don’t want to argue this point here.)  

Italy’s hospital system is thoroughly overwhelmed (see, e.g., NYT, Boston Globle) when 0.02% of the population are found to be infected.

In a little more than one month, China mobilized 42,600 healthcare workers from across the country to Hubei to help treat the 67,790 confirmed COVID-19 patients in the Hubei province.  

To gain herd immunity without the healthcare system collapsing requires dramatically slowing down the spread of COVID-19, which can be achieved only by drastic and painful ASD measures.  

By the point that the COVID-19 case number stabilizes at a level the healthcare system can handle, keep enforcing these measures will lead to eradication of COVID-19, before herd immunity can be reached.  The plan for herd immunity means that a society will be forced to act when it is almost too late, resulting in huge and avoidable losses of human life and economic disaster.  

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vSDWEXsINui0pgzObtJANyvqu-4ynNIyNBZ2cjy_TAO4WWMPEMh8aJAmqi28G99b-JbBNdjqu2dI_Ue/pub

55 minutes ago, BibleSteve said:

It's being reported that Germany will close its borders with France, Austria and Switzerland from Monday morning to help stop the spread of the coronavirus

The world is slowly closing down. How extraordinary.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

2 hours ago, Lieblingskind said:

Anybody tried this?

DIY Homemade Hand Sanitizer Recipe
Ingredients:
* 2/3 cup 99% rubbing alcohol
* 1/3 cup aloe vera gel
* 4 drops tea tree oil (optional)
Items Needed:
4-6 two-0unce Squeeze bottles
Directions:
1. Add the rubbing alcohol, aloe vera gel, and the tea tree oil to a small bowl.
2. Mix well.
3. Use a funnel to divide the hand sanitizer between the bottles.
Leave a little room in the bottle instead of filling it to the top. That way you can shake it up before using the hand sanitizer.

My Walmart was out of rubbing alcohol.  Apparently a lot of people are trying this.

1 minute ago, WilliamChew said:

This open letter explains clearly why herd immunity is too high a cost. He explains why governments will take drastic measures eventually when there are too many cases.

Open Letter 2 on COVID-19: Aggressive Social Distancing is Everyone’s Responsibility.

Rapid exponential growth will continue, forcing the society to take increasingly desperate and drastic measures. Measures that may appear unthinkable now can appear inevitable 2 weeks later.  Societies have no choice but to throw everything they have at containing COVID-19 until it takes effect.  The cost of these measures, while extremely high, is still much less than the cost resulting from the alternative of letting COVID-19 spread.  When this happens, COVID-19 will be contained, as it has been in China and S. Korea.

The plan to gain herd immunity against COVID-19 is, in my opinion, either utter incompetence or sheer madness, even if one ignores the fact that it lets a significant percentage of the population die when the cost of containing it is much less (see, e.g., S. Korea).

The claim is that herd immunity against COVID-19 requires 60% or more of the population to be infected.  
(I believe that it takes significantly higher percentage, but I don’t want to argue this point here.)  

Italy’s hospital system is thoroughly overwhelmed (see, e.g., NYT, Boston Globle) when 0.02% of the population are found to be infected.

In a little more than one month, China mobilized 42,600 healthcare workers from across the country to Hubei to help treat the 67,790 confirmed COVID-19 patients in the Hubei province.  

To gain herd immunity without the healthcare system collapsing requires dramatically slowing down the spread of COVID-19, which can be achieved only by drastic and painful ASD measures.  

By the point that the COVID-19 case number stabilizes at a level the healthcare system can handle, keep enforcing these measures will lead to eradication of COVID-19, before herd immunity can be reached.  The plan for herd immunity means that a society will be forced to act when it is almost too late, resulting in huge and avoidable losses of human life and economic disaster.  

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vSDWEXsINui0pgzObtJANyvqu-4ynNIyNBZ2cjy_TAO4WWMPEMh8aJAmqi28G99b-JbBNdjqu2dI_Ue/pub

Even basing herd immunity on sound reasoning - they've left it too late to start to lower the increase the curve of cases ... they fail to realize that for every reported case there are ten more. 

China saved 10's of 1000's lives by shutting China down ... they could have saved more if they had acted quicker. Most countries have lost that opportunity already ... NZ with 8 cases now have shut down borders - and even though the Government is being applauded for their strong action - and it's good decisive action - it should have been taken before there were any cases ... again it's too late - just last week there was no instruction or restrictions on travel/visitors at airports. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Great y'all found some sanitizer alternatives...or at least tried to!

One sister told me on Whatsapp that it's not good to make our own hand sanitizers, so I just deleted the post on my status. But it's interesting to hear if anyone has tried it!

- Read the Bible daily 

Phil.2:5

“Who do you think put that idea in their head?“ - D. Splane Video

It seems that since Trump declared a national emergency, toilet paper became sparse here again. Actually last week the stores were starting to fill up with toilet paper again, but no success finding some at the regular grocery store yesterday here in Germany....Though I did find toilet paper at a small non-grocery store called "Kodi" here, and soft too! I was going to buy a package or 2, but thought I would just go into my regular grocery store only to find the entire aisle empty. Should've bought some!! Maybe try tomorrow...or just wait til the grocery stores stock up again. So far it's not bad with the shoppers in my area. Still being respectful.

We watched Contagion last night. Interesting movie. Writers must have consulted scientists or doctors, or past virus breakouts for the storyline. I don't recommend watching it if a person is already highly in panic-mode, though.

- Read the Bible daily 

Phil.2:5

“Who do you think put that idea in their head?“ - D. Splane Video

2 White Plains USPS employees test positive for coronavirus

Play Video

Posted: Mar 14, 2020 5:13 PM EDTUpdated: Mar 15, 2020 9:16 AM EDT

Two employees at a United States Postal Service facility in White Plains have tested positive for coronavirus.

One of the employees is in the hospital, while the other is recovering at home......... the post office where I work is probably next.

2 minutes ago, Lieblingskind said:

It seems that since Trump declared a national emergency, toilet paper became sparse here again. Actually last week the stores were starting to fill up with toilet paper again, but no success finding some at the regular grocery store yesterday here in Germany....Though I did find toilet paper at a small non-grocery store called "Kodi" here, and soft too! I was going to buy a package or 2, but thought I would just go into my regular grocery store only to find the entire aisle empty. Should've bought some!! Maybe try tomorrow...or just wait til the grocery stores stock up again. So far it's not bad with the shoppers in my area. Still being respectful.

We watched Contagion last night. Interesting movie. Writers must have consulted scientists or doctors, or past virus breakouts for the storyline. I don't recommend watching it if a person is already highly in panic-mode, though.

Yes i saw it too. Interesting I'm not panicking at all - in fact I'm very calm. Sad at the suffering around us ... but calm. Quietly excited at the direction it's taking ... but teaching myself to wait on Jehovah and his organization.

10 hours ago, rolypoly said:

I recently heard about a treatment using blood of recovered victims to harvest their antibodies for transfer to other sick ones.  The article said this is not a new idea and it was actually practiced w some limited success during the Spanish influenza outbreak--but now our science and bloodbanks are vastly improved to the point it is a viable cure.  I wonder if this could become a test of our faith?  I don't really know how it works and whether it would even be considered taking of blood, perhaps antibodies would be comparable to some of the other options that are a conscience thing? But imagine if the world finds the cure and it involves blood Transfusion... The world would rush to the "cure".  Would we be pressured or even forced by authorities to fall in line? 

I didnt save the article, so no link sorry.  I'm sure it wouldnt be hard to research the subject

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/05/how-blood-plasma-from-recovered-patients-could-help-treat-coronavirus/

This article seems to describe what you're referring to.

OHIO, USA — Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine announced Sunday that he is issuing an order to close all Ohio bars and restaurants due to concerns surrounding the spread of coronavirus(COVID-19). 

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/gov-mike-dewine-orders-the-closing-of-all-ohio-restaurants-and-bars-carry-out-to-still-be-available/95-62dd42c3-8726-4085-b4d0-0f88c9ab536b

4 hours ago, Stormswift said:

The world is slowly closing down. How extraordinary.

It's exactly what happens in the VG game I mentioned before, Pandemic 2. As you spread the virus around by buying methods (airborne, rodents, insects,waterborne) and resistances (cold, heat, moisture, drugs) you see more and more get infected and the status box shows countries start to close air ports, ship yards, borders. Then it says they kill rats/insects and burn dead bodies. But that's just a game.

It's so surreal to see parts of a mere online game coming true o.o

Edited by Nirex

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/breaking-the-evolving-coronavirus-is-outwitting-the-world-quarantines-deemed-as-non-effective-as-incubation-period-can-be-limitless-diagnostics-also-b

A previous study of more than 1,099 coronavirus patients by Chinese scientists, published in early February as a preprint, or a paper that has not been peer reviewed, has already made the case that the incubation period could be as long as 24 days.

Edited by JudyO

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/must-read-more-cases-being-reported-in-china-of-recovered-covid-19-patients-dying-suddenly

Wuhan, China has reported on that a 36-year-old man died of Covid-19 disease that is caused by the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus just days after being declared recovered ...and he's not the only one.

Edited by JudyO

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

6 minutes ago, JudyO said:

https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/must-read-more-cases-being-reported-in-china-of-recovered-covid-19-patients-dying-suddenly

Wuhan, China has reported on that a 36-year-old man died of Covid-19 disease that is caused by the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus just days after being declared recovered ...and he's not the only one.

Perhaps they are desperate to reduce numbers by declaring them recovered too early. Most likely answer I would have thought.

14 minutes ago, JudyO said:

https://www.thailandmedical.news/news/breaking-the-evolving-coronavirus-is-outwitting-the-world-quarantines-deemed-as-non-effective-as-incubation-period-can-be-limitless-diagnostics-also-b

A previous study of more than 1,099 coronavirus patients by Chinese scientists, published in early February as a preprint, or a paper that has not been peer reviewed, has already made the case that the incubation period could be as long as 24 days.

If 100 % true,  the self quarantine could be almost 4 weeks (28 days) instead of 2 (14 days). I hope it isn't so.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

OHIO, USA — Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine announced Sunday that he is issuing an order to close all Ohio bars and restaurants due to concerns surrounding the spread of coronavirus(COVID-19). 

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/gov-mike-dewine-orders-the-closing-of-all-ohio-restaurants-and-bars-carry-out-to-still-be-available/95-62dd42c3-8726-4085-b4d0-0f88c9ab536b

I really think it can be dangerous to make knee-jerk decisions like this, without considering the consequences, like people flooding the bars and restaurants before they're taken away from them, resulting in the opposite of what he wants, and increasing the amount of people having no choice but to flood the grocery stores (huge crowds) as delivery will be severely taxed to where wait times will be impractical and unbearable. 

Too many politicians make decisions that they think will make them popular.

Edited by Bob

6 hours ago, BibleSteve said:

It's being reported that Germany will close its borders with France, Austria and Switzerland from Monday morning to help stop the spread of the coronavirus

Reported where?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.