JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

In Toronto last week they did close a grocery store due to empty shelves at a No Frills. Even here in London the No Frills down the street had lots of empty shelves. I wanted some green onions because they were on sale 3 for $1.68 ( really high this year) instead of $1.27 each.  None. A lot of fresh produce shelves were empty as was yogurt, frozen juices, etcetera.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/16/coronavirus-live-updates-us-death-toll-rises-cases-testing/5053816002/

CDC: No large gatherings for 8 weeks; more guidelines coming today

The CDC issued on Sunday issued new guidance recommending against gatherings of 50 or more people "for the next eight weeks," saying those who have already planned events with that many people should cancel or postpone. 

"This recommendation is made in an attempt to reduce introduction of the virus into new communities and to slow the spread of infection in communities already affected by the virus," the CDC wrote on its website. The guidance notes it "does not apply to the day to day operation of organizations such as schools, institutes of higher learning, or businesses." Events of any size should stress protect vulnerable populations through hand hygiene and social distancing, the CDC wrote.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/03/16/coronavirus-people-line-up-gun-stores-stock-up/5054436002/

It's not just toilet paper: People line up to buy guns, ammo over coronavirus concerns

"a growing wave of Americans who are going to retailers, pawnshops and online to purchase guns and ammunition in the wake of COVID-19, which had killed more than 60 people in the U.S. as of Saturday afternoon. 

As hysteria surrounding the illness drives some to stockpile groceries and toilet paper in case they're quarantined, it's also causing many to worry about a shortage of gun supplies, which is driving up demand and leading to long lines at suppliers. "

I'm not surprised, there are a lot of people living around me with guns, we are not in the city limits but not in the open country either and they are occasionally shooting them off! 

16 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/16/coronavirus-live-updates-us-death-toll-rises-cases-testing/5053816002/

CDC: No large gatherings for 8 weeks; more guidelines coming today

The CDC issued on Sunday issued new guidance recommending against gatherings of 50 or more people "for the next eight weeks," saying those who have already planned events with that many people should cancel or postpone. 

"This recommendation is made in an attempt to reduce introduction of the virus into new communities and to slow the spread of infection in communities already affected by the virus," the CDC wrote on its website. The guidance notes it "does not apply to the day to day operation of organizations such as schools, institutes of higher learning, or businesses." Events of any size should stress protect vulnerable populations through hand hygiene and social distancing, the CDC wrote.

whoah! thats for 8 week.. oh no. 

5 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Louis Vuitton owners are converting their luxury perfume factory to make hand sanitizer for the French health authorities- free of charge.  China’s factory changed from making iPhones to making surgical masks. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51868756

....the world is coming together to fight a common enemy. I like that....

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 hours ago, GraceH said:

Sorry I realise that I should stop the fear mongering. It is not encouraging. I think everyone can see where this is heading. What I meant to say is that -- there are very bright times ahead, not initially but very soon thereafter the initial bumps (GT).

Thank you for mentioning that. The moderators have been monitoring all of the threads about COVID19 and we were concerned that our e-family members were getting discouraged instead of encouraged. We were very happy to see many of the members sharing encouraging information. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 minutes ago, Tbs77 said:

https://apple.news/A7caLyyNSSvOEOU55XZEGDw

U.S. Markets
Stocks and Bond Yields Plummet After Fed Slashes Rates
U.S. equity futures drop by almost 5%, signaling markets are poised for a sharp drop after the opening bell...

Circuit Breakers kicked in...again

On the bright side. It wont take me very long to throw my money in the streets...:lol1:

I don't have any money to throw into the street. Wait a second. I may have some old tin nickels in a can and the odd penny. Maybe even some US pennies. 😝

HavingHaving to use tablet. My computer got the latest virus, I mean update from Microsoft yesterday and won't connect to the net. Won't let me remove it so doing a restore with saving settings. Hmmmm. Even tablet is acting up.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Less than two short months ago,

coronavirus reporting was given just a very brief, almost passing mention

on NBC Nightly News.

Last night, the entire broadcast was devoted to this subject.

Less than two short months ago,

some were still saying, "Why all the hype?  More people die every year from the flu."

Today, bars and restaurants are closing,

and toilet paper is still disappearing from store shelves. :D 

This novel virus has now caught everyone's attention, even the poo-poo ers.

Today, this Scripture is being fulfilled as never before:

(1 Corinthians 7:31) ". . .the scene of this world is changing."

You know the old "Some see the glass half empty.  Some see the glass half full." thing?

spacer.png

Well, some see the changes in the world's scene as for the worse.

Thanks to Jehovah's undeserved kindness,

his people see the world's rapidly changing scene for the better. :D 

Because, thanks to His promises, the best changes are yet

(and soon, very very soon) to come. :D

1670947810_ScreenHunter_36Aug_2419_23.gif.0119bef8d30625779072798bb0eb376b.gif

As the second verse in our "Give Me Courage" song truthfully states:  

"Feeling fear is human..." 

But it also goes on to say that it is only in our OWN strength that we are frail.

We are not in our own strength.  We have Jehovah of Armies as our Best Forever Friend. :D 

This Scripture in Psalms tells us where to put our fear:

“Close friendship with Jehovah belongs to those who fear him.”—PS. 25:14.

I read this thread...and the latest reports.  I like to keep abreast of that rapidly changing world scene.

BUT I also keep singing our encouraging songs and reminding myself

"I'm not alone.  

I never was.

I'll never be

and all because

Jehovah knows.  

Jehovah sees.  

He hears my prayer.  

He's here with me.  

Whatever comes my way...(Coronavirus included) 

I'm never alone." :D 

It's extremely calming and reassuring. :D 

I also keep praying for Jehovah to grant me a C.O.W. heart: ❤️ Calm  ❤️Obedient and ❤️Wise

It is also comforting to know that Jehovah's whole association of our Christian Brotherhood is here for us,

even when we can't associate in person. :D

(Revelation 22:20) ". . .I am coming quickly.’”

“Amen! Come, Lord Jesus.”

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Georgia (USA) now has 111 cases and 1 death.  And it's now spread to my county, with a hospital in Braselton confirming that they have a patient with COVID-19.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/coronavirus-georgia-heres-whats-happening-so-far-today/UJTXOH2PV5HLRGV554JQO67NNU/?fbclid=IwAR1zxJzfTqoz7All9Kv12Kv1GKC7ftiwXuBGUREBjqBt2h4VnFn9lT-a8YU

• The number of coronavirus cases in Georgia rose to 121 cases Monday. New numbers were released at noon on the Department of Health’s website here.
  •  
  • Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger and election officials are holding a news conference to discuss the state postponing the presidential primary.
  •  
  • Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms signed an executive order that bans crowds of 250+ people and declared a state of emergency in metro Atlanta. Bottom says the city will continue to evaluate and readjust in light of CDC’s new recommendations.
  •  
  • Students and parents will transition to online learning today. Here is the latest list of school closures.
  •  
  • Schools released information on how students can continue to get meal service through bus deliveries.
  •  
  • A Newton County Schools employee tested positive for coronavirus.
  •  
  • Walmart becomes the latest retailer to change its hours to clean and restock its stores.
  •  
  • Atlanta-based Chick-Fil-A announced it will close dining room seating. The restaurant joins others across the country, including Starbucks, in only allowing take out orders.
  •  
  • Also, Bibb County schools are closed indefinitely due to COVID-19. 

This is going to start affecting hourly workers soon, and not for the best.  

9 minutes ago, Barbllm said:

Also, Bibb County schools are closed indefinitely due to COVID-19. 

This whole closing schools business seems to me like a political trick. It makes it seem like politicians are doing something. Meanwhile, the effect it has on the virus spreading is limited. The kids will no doubt still see their friends. And their parent, who might have a job in healthcare, where they are desperately needed, might have to stay at homes.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-southeast-asia/can-hot-weather-stop-coronavirus-southeast-asia-surge-raises-doubts-idUKKBN213250

A dramatic surge in coronavirus infections in Southeast Asia in recent days has

increased doubts over a theory that warmer weather could stem the spread of the virus, health experts say

I think the media and professionals would do the public a good service by dedicating more time to those who have recovered. 

You’d think think this virus has a 100 percent mortality rate. Every knew case is “Breaking News” whereas recoveries are just “meh”..

People can learn the facts while not being gripped in fear. 

Edited by Bob

Just been ramped up here in the UK.
Of course again they emphasise that most people are mildly ill. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51903319

This also makes many people not understand why so many experts on viruses and pandemics feel it is so important to fight this particular virus with such vigour. So it’s necessary to be careful.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

40 minutes ago, Mykyl said:

Just been ramped up here in the UK.

Of course again they emphasise that most people are mildly ill. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51903319

The more people who recover, the higher our herd immunity breaks the chain of transmission, and thus, reduces the spread. 

I’m baffled as to why the media seems to not want to report on this.

Its also a good thing that if you remove potential hosts (humans) you can eradicate the virus potentially. 

Edited by Bob

39 minutes ago, Mykyl said:

It is much more serious than most people are taking it. But it's not my job to convince others. 

They are desperately trying to slow the spread so that the health system can cope. 

Yes .. NZ has taken drastic measures - it's a really dark day in NZ when the Hongi is no longer allowed. (See below).

images.jpeg.jpg

download.jpeg.jpg

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

No cases n the U P of Michigan...yet.

https://www.radioresultsnetwork.com/2020/03/15/michigan-coronavirus-cases-increase-to-53/?fbclid=IwAR3ASpXQPoVgGS0DGbWlWB9B-w3GMIqsTAj4QP3n0YZt1CKvDQILVsmZLPQ

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) announced Sunday 20 positive cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). This brings the state total of COVID-19 cases to 53.

The cases include:

Washtenaw County, three adult males, all with a history of international travel.

Detroit, adult female with unknown travel history.

Oakland County, adult female with contact with a person with COVID-19.

Detroit, adult female with contact with a person with COVID-19.

Macomb County, adult female with unknown travel history.

Oakland County, male child with contact with a person with COVID-19

Kent County, adult male with unknown travel history and unknown contact history.

Oakland County, adult male with unknown travel and contact history.

Wayne County, adult male with unknown travel and contact history.

Ottawa County, adult female with unknown travel and contact history.

Clair County, adult female with contact with a person with COVID-19.

Macomb County, two adult males with no travel or contact reported.

Wayne County, adult male with no travel or contact reported.

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”