JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Our spiritual families in Afghanistan

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 970 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

1 hour ago, countrykaren said:

Not sure how many of our brothers and sisters live in Afghanistan but praying they are okay now that the taliban have taken over

Apparently there are no JWs in Afghanistan. There are three countries in the world where the branch doesn't know of the existence of any JWs, and Afghanistan is one of them, together with North Korea and Somalia.

29 minutes ago, carlos said:

Apparently there are no JWs in Afghanistan. There are three countries in the world where the branch doesn't know of the existence of any JWs, and Afghanistan is one of them, together with North Korea and Somalia.

Oh wow thanks for telling me I didn’t know that 

Forgive freely as Jehovah Freely forgives us :)

3 hours ago, carlos said:

True, I heard that as well. That being said, we still can't conclude that there are none at all. It's not impossible that there are a few we don't know about, but Jehovah knows. Those countries certainly are not safe for Jehovah's people, that's for sure. I have wondered if there have been any of God's people sent to North Korean death camps, for instance, as that is where the North Korean government would most likely send any witnesses, if they found some. Such ones could definitely use our prayers.

4 hours ago, carlos said:

North Korea

36 minutes ago, Raven said:

I have wondered if there have been any of God's people sent to North Korean death camps, for instance, as that is where the North Korean government would most likely send any witnesses, if they found some. Such ones could definitely use our prayers.

We have had opportunity to preach to those in North Korea in the past and in the present. Before the both Koreas were divided, due to Japan’s invasion, many were active Kingdom publishers in the North Korean territories. It was never known what would happen to them after the division of course.

In the recent years, there certainly have been other ways to preach to them. For example, some North Korean may have a job outside the country, e.g. China or Russia, and they could be witnessed using that opportunity. Could it be similar in Afghanistan or Somalia? I do not know.

There are Christendom members in nearby Pakistan and surely some Jehovah's witnesses as well. Many are fleeing Afghanistan and going to nearby countries. I hope some of these refugees will be able to meet some of our brothers and sisters there, hopefully in refugees camps. I met one Pakistani refugee when I went to the Kingdom Hall in Bangkok.

Spoiler

Under quite tragic circumstances too. I had lost my wallet about USD90 near my my hostel and had only small change to go around. Not enough for a meal though. I was too shy to ask for financial help from the local Witnesses (English congregation). The congregation were all foreigners. No Thai friends there. The wife of BCOE did ask if I needed money but I was too shy to tell her that I was broke. I was about to go home the next day and didn't have money to pay for room that night. I sat at the bus stop feeling very sorry for myself. Then this lady came and sat next to me. Turned out she had also attended the same weekend meeting as myself. When I told her my story, she felt moved to share with me her biscuits and offered to give me a tiny amount of money. I thanked her for the biscuit but didn't take her up on the money. She and her family were refugees in Bangkok and studying the bible with a sister. The whole family were squeezed in a small rented room a distance away from the meeting place. 

How I long to see this bible student once again and I would like to give her $100 for her compassion to me during one of the darkest moment in my life.🤣 In Bangkok there is free food near the stadium but I figured it would be too dark for me to go there. Also there are free buses in BKK (my new found friend told me how to spot that type of buses)

Funny I didn't pray to Jehovah for help but still He sent a angel to comfort me.

Note : I travel very often to Thailand and rest assuredly the local brothers would bend backwards just to render aid to  person in need. 

Edited by happiness IS

14 minutes ago, Hinata said:

We have had opportunity to preach to those in North Korea in the past and in the present. Before the both Koreas were divided, due to Japan’s invasion, many were active Kingdom publishers in the North Korean territories. It was never known what would happen to them after the division of course.

In the recent years, there certainly have been other ways to preach to them. For example, some North Korean may have a job outside the country, e.g. China or Russia, and they could be witnessed using that opportunity. Could it be similar in Afghanistan or Somalia? I do not know.

Yes, I suspected there might be some brothers and sisters living in secret in North Korea, as they do in many countries where we are under ban. It would be so hard to be a witness in North Korea and to stay safe! Must be similar to what it was like in Nazi occupied Europe, I think.

I think in Australia there might get be witnesses who were from Afghanistan, since we have many migrants here. In my territory when we used to go door-to-door many of the Afghani people were friendly and I had a few as RVs. I don’t know personally any Afghani witnesses. 

4 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

I think in Australia there might get be witnesses who were from Afghanistan, since we have many migrants here. In my territory when we used to go door-to-door many of the Afghani people were friendly and I had a few as RVs. I don’t know personally any Afghani witnesses. 

I am impressed, both languages spoken in Afghanistan Pashto  and Persian can be selected on jw.org

I am pretty sure that someone ...somehow ..accessed our web site from Afghanistan. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

It is quite likely with so many refugees from Afghanistan that many of them will get an opportunity to br given a witness that they never had before. How appealing a peaceful new world may be to some. Then if some come into the truth they may be able to tell friends and relatives that are still in the country. 

19 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

I am impressed, both languages spoken in Afghanistan Pashto  and Persian can be selected on jw.org

I am pretty sure that someone ...somehow ..accessed our web site from Afghanistan. 

Yep, at the very least there must be Pashto language groups outside of Afghanistan, and I know there are Farsi language groups.

This was some years ago, though. Things tend to change when Jehovah sees fit.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

8 hours ago, Raven said:

That being said, we still can't conclude that there are none at all.

That's true. But if there are any publishers there, they are not in contact with the branch, even during these two decades of US ocupation when conditions were more favorable. That seems to suggest that there are no publishers in the country.

7 hours ago, happiness IS said:

There are Christendom members in nearby Pakistan and surely some Jehovah's witnesses as well. Many are fleeing Afghanistan and going to nearby countries. I hope some of these refugees will be able to meet some of our brothers and sisters there, hopefully in refugees camps.

Oh yes, there are JWs in Pakistan.

2 hours ago, Foxes53 said:

It is quite likely with so many refugees from Afghanistan that many of them will get an opportunity to br given a witness that they never had before. How appealing a peaceful new world may be to some. Then if some come into the truth they may be able to tell friends and relatives that are still in the country. 

Yes, absolutely. Two main languages are spoken in Afghanistan: Farsi and Pashtu. I had a quick look in JW.org and there are meetings in Pashtu in London and Paris. This is only for Europe, I am sure there must be Pashtu congregations in the North America and Asia as well. As for Farsi, there are many Farsi congregations around the world. So we know for certain that there are Afghani Witnesses. Even if they live abroad, surely they are discreetly sharing the Bible truths with their relatives in their country of origin.

12 hours ago, carlos said:

That’s actually not true, I thought that too but had a brother visit my congregation that worked in the coordinators committee office and he said we are aware of witnesses there and in North Korea (don’t know anything about Somalia never came up) but any numbers or details are highly confidential so we don’t know (the field) anything about who. Some things are only known by the governing body due to the situation in some countries. 

Edited by Anthony

10 hours ago, Anthony said:

That’s actually not true, I thought that too but had a brother visit my congregation that worked in the coordinators committee office and he said we are aware of witnesses there and in North Korea (don’t know anything about Somalia never came up) but any numbers or details are highly confidential so we don’t know (the field) anything about who. Some things are only known by the governing body due to the situation in some countries. 

You may perfectly be right, Anthony. During the Annual Meeting in 2012 it was mentioned that the only countries where the organization didn't know of any publishers were Afghanistan, North Korea and Somalia. So the information was from the best source. Yet 2012 was nine years ago. Many things may have changed since.

If there are JWs in Afghanistan, they really needs our prayers now.

Edited by carlos

10 hours ago, carlos said:

You may perfectly be right, Anthony. During the Annual Meeting in 2012 it was mentioned that the only countries where the organization didn't know of any publishers were Afghanistan, North Korea and Somalia. So the information was from the best source. Yet 2012 was nine years ago. Many things may have changed since.

If there are JWs in Afghanistan, they really needs our prayers now.

Yeah this was just before the pandemic so after 2012 

Edited by carlos

I was also thinking that with a lot of Afghanistan people coming to the UK  I think jehovah will open up the way for them to hear the good news 😁so many of them going to UK places like Surrey West Yorkshire London opportunities will be there to learn there language which I would love to do but I wouldn't have a clue where to start thou 🤔😂hear iam jehovah send me., 😁

Edited by halfspanishlee

6 hours ago, Anthony said:

One should never assume that there are no JWs even in hostile places (1 Kings 19:18)

Also remenber our sister Areti Pina in Albania, and that she was alone for many years.

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=302010002&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=188

Spoiler

AN ISOLATED SHEEP IS FOUND

“Are there any Witnesses in Vlorë?” the brothers asked when discussing the advancement of the preaching work in Albania. Some knew only of an old woman who was reportedly senile. Then a woman came to the office saying that she and her family were ungjillorë and that someone named Areti had taught them the truth in Vlorë. So brothers from Tiranë made a trip to Vlorë to find Areti.

Areti Pina, a short elderly lady, invited the visitors into her home, but she seemed somewhat reserved. When they explained that they were her spiritual brothers, it produced absolutely no reaction.

“Can I ask you some questions?” Areti suddenly said after a few minutes. Then she started firing questions at them: “Do you believe in the Trinity? What is God’s name? Do you believe in hellfire? What happens when we die? What about the earth? How many will go to heaven?”

The brothers answered each of the questions.

“Do you preach?” Areti then asked.

“Yes,” said one brother, “we preach.”

“But,” she responded, “how do you preach?”

“We preach from house to house,” replied the brother.

Areti burst into tears, leaped to her feet, and embraced the brother.

“Now I know that you are my brothers!” she exclaimed. “Only Jehovah’s people preach from house to house!”

Protestant groups in Vlorë had heard that Areti was a religious person and had asked her to join them. “But I did not want anything to do with Babylon the Great!” she explained to the brothers. “So I needed to make sure that you were my real spiritual family!”

Areti was baptized back in 1928 at the age of 18. She traveled up and down mountains on foot, preaching with Bible in hand. Although Areti had lost contact with the brothers for years, she kept preaching faithfully on her own.

“Jehovah is wonderful,” said Areti through her tears. “He never forgot me!”

People thought Areti was crazy for keeping faith in God under Albania’s ironclad totalitarian rule. Yet, Areti was anything but senile. Her mind was as clear as ever!

Know this my beloved brothers, I am not a native English speaker.

Please be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger. (James 1:19)

4 minutes ago, Paulo said:

One should never assume that there are no JWs even in hostile places (1 Kings 19:18)

Also remenber our sister Areti Pina in Albania, and that she was alone for many years.

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=302010002&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=188

Reveal hidden contents

AN ISOLATED SHEEP IS FOUND

“Are there any Witnesses in Vlorë?” the brothers asked when discussing the advancement of the preaching work in Albania. Some knew only of an old woman who was reportedly senile. Then a woman came to the office saying that she and her family were ungjillorë and that someone named Areti had taught them the truth in Vlorë. So brothers from Tiranë made a trip to Vlorë to find Areti.

Areti Pina, a short elderly lady, invited the visitors into her home, but she seemed somewhat reserved. When they explained that they were her spiritual brothers, it produced absolutely no reaction.

“Can I ask you some questions?” Areti suddenly said after a few minutes. Then she started firing questions at them: “Do you believe in the Trinity? What is God’s name? Do you believe in hellfire? What happens when we die? What about the earth? How many will go to heaven?”

The brothers answered each of the questions.

“Do you preach?” Areti then asked.

“Yes,” said one brother, “we preach.”

“But,” she responded, “how do you preach?”

“We preach from house to house,” replied the brother.

Areti burst into tears, leaped to her feet, and embraced the brother.

“Now I know that you are my brothers!” she exclaimed. “Only Jehovah’s people preach from house to house!”

Protestant groups in Vlorë had heard that Areti was a religious person and had asked her to join them. “But I did not want anything to do with Babylon the Great!” she explained to the brothers. “So I needed to make sure that you were my real spiritual family!”

Areti was baptized back in 1928 at the age of 18. She traveled up and down mountains on foot, preaching with Bible in hand. Although Areti had lost contact with the brothers for years, she kept preaching faithfully on her own.

“Jehovah is wonderful,” said Areti through her tears. “He never forgot me!”

People thought Areti was crazy for keeping faith in God under Albania’s ironclad totalitarian rule. Yet, Areti was anything but senile. Her mind was as clear as ever!

That is one of my favorite experiences 

It would be very difficult to be a witness in North Korea, because wherever they go and whatever they do, they have to give a verbal pledge to the leader, thanking him and giving him their alligence (even if they are admitted to the hospital).  I used to worry how people in these countries would get a witness but this whole situation with Afganistan has changed my mind about that - so many are fleeing the country to other countries around the world that there is a good chance now that they will get a witness for the first time in their lives.  I've learned to "never" say 'never' now.  

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I found this experience about preaching to Afghan people:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/library/r1/lp-e/all-publications/books/yearbooks/yearbook-2008

Slovakia

A special pioneer couple met two young men from Afghanistan. During their short stay in Slovakia, the men expressed interest in the Bible. The pioneers met them several times and gave them a Bible and the book What Does the Bible Really Teach? The pioneers also demonstrated how a Bible study is conducted so that they could study the Bible themselves and with others.

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

It would be very difficult to be a witness in North Korea, because wherever they go and whatever they do, they have to give a verbal pledge to the leader, thanking him and giving him their alligence (even if they are admitted to the hospital).  I used to worry how people in these countries would get a witness but this whole situation with Afganistan has changed my mind about that - so many are fleeing the country to other countries around the world that there is a good chance now that they will get a witness for the first time in their lives.  I've learned to "never" say 'never' now.  

Difficulty has never really stopped God’s word from reaching people with the right disposition for eternal life.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

46 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Difficulty has never really stopped God’s word from reaching people with the right disposition for eternal life.

The word of Jehovah is like the water, that always finds a way to get in or to get out.

If you give it time, it infiltrates everywhere and makes its own path.

Know this my beloved brothers, I am not a native English speaker.

Please be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger. (James 1:19)

51 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

As the disciple Stephen knows first hand...the Truth can be shared under dangerous conditions but you might be killed for it.