JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Russia invades Ukraine

BBC reality check on more fake news that's going around.

Nearly two weeks after Russia's invasion of Ukraine, the flow of false or misleading information about the war hasn't let up and now there are some outlandish theories being shared online.

Some have begun to circulate claims the war is a hoax, a media fabrication, or has been exaggerated by the West in terms of its scale.

A video of a young woman and a young man having fake blood applied to their faces has racked up millions of views on multiple platforms.

It is shared as supposed evidence that the war in Ukraine is a hoax and civilian victims are actually "crisis actors" - people hired to act out scenes from an attack.

And lots more equally ridiculous and damaging fake stories going around.  You can find a number of them here.

https://www.bbc.com/news/60589965

And then there is the letter 'Z' which appears to have morphed into a Russian pro-war symbol.

It has been sported by politicians, seen on the sides of cars, vans and advertising hoardings - as well as daubed on bus shelters. It has even been used by Serbs at pro-Russian demonstration in Belgrade. Photographs have been widely shared on social media.

Russian gymnast Ivan Kuliak is facing disciplinary proceedings by the International Gymnastics Federation (FIG) for displaying the letter "Z" on the podium next to a Ukrainian rival in Qatar.

Emily Ferris, Research Fellow Russia and Eurasia at RUSI, says the "Z" is a powerful and easily recognisable symbol."Often with propaganda the simplest things catch on the quickest," she says. "It looks rather intimidating and quite stark. From an aesthetic perspective, it's a very powerful symbol."

It has taken less than a fortnight for the "Z" to spread among those supportive of President Putin's invasion. 

One Russian politician, Maria Butina, shared a video of how to write the "Z" insignia on a business jacket - Ms Snetkov explains - "so you can go into work and show it to everyone without shouting about it."

The spread of "Z" in Russia has not only been because of social media spontaneity - cautions Aglaya Snetkov from UCL.

"It has also been pushed by the regime."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60644832

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Looks like the black horse and his rider is going to start galloping again.

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/watchtower-no3-2017-may/who-are-the-four-horsemen/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60653856

War in Ukraine: Crisis is unleashing 'hell on earth' for food prices

“The head of the World Food Programme, David Beasley, has warned the conflict in Ukraine could send global food prices soaring, with a catastrophic impact on the world's poorest.

Ukraine and Russia are both major exporters of basic foodstuffs, and the war has already hit crop production, driving up prices

Mr Beasley said it was putting more people at risk of starvation worldwide. 

"Just when you think hell on earth can't get any worse, it does," he said. 

Russia and Ukraine, once dubbed "the breadbasket of Europe", export about a quarter of the world's wheat and half of its sunflower products, like seeds and oil. Ukraine also sells a lot of corn globally.

Analysts have warned that war could impact the production of grains and even double global wheat prices.

Mr Beasley told BBC World Service's Business Daily programme that the number of people facing potential starvation worldwide had already risen from 80 million to 276 million in four years prior to Russia's invasion, due to what he calls a "perfect storm" of conflict, climate change and coronavirus.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60623941

Ukraine war 'catastrophic for global food'

"Half the world's population gets food as a result of fertilisers... and if that's removed from the field for some crops, [the yield] will drop by 50%," Mr Holsether said.

"For me, it's not whether we are moving into a global food crisis - it's how large the crisis will be."

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

There’s already been some good comments here about the KotN role and his aggression not only towards peoples of the world, but in particular against God’s people. That makes it especially reprehensible. It reminds me of kings and Pharoah in bible times. Their attitudes are described clearly in the Bible.

Against the king of Babylon:

You said in your heart, ‘I will ascend to the heavens. Above the stars of God I will lift up my throne, And I will sit down on the mountain of meeting, In the remotest parts of the north - Isaiah 14:13

or Exodus 5:2

But Pharʹaoh said: “Who is Jehovah, that I should obey his voice to send Israel away? I do not know Jehovah at all, and what is more, I will not send Israel away.”

Putin, as well as former leaders that have engaged against God’s people are especially deserving of judgment. It is clear that his fierce opposition and fiery tyranny will, under God’s kingdom, come to a deserved end. He is playing his role x 100x. 

In the meantime of course we stay neutral by preaching about God’s kingdom and staying on his side, also praying for our brothers and sisters in Ukraine, including the families of the ones who have died. Of course all of us will soon be under oppression and injustice, and will be praying for one another. But some countries are feeling it sooner than others, including Ukraine and Russia.

- Read the Bible daily 

Phil.2:5

3 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

The spread of "Z" in Russia has not only been because of social media spontaneity - cautions Aglaya Snetkov from UCL.

"It has also been pushed by the regime."

Yesterday at UN Security Council meeting the Ukrainian ambassador explained the true meaning of the “Z”

it’s here and it’s horrible:

https://www.sachsenhausen-sbg.de/en/exhibitions/permanent-exhibitions/murder-and-mass-murder/

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

1 hour ago, Sofia said:

Yesterday at UN Security Council meeting the Ukrainian ambassador explained the true meaning of the “Z”

it’s here and it’s horrible:

I don't find the Sachsenhausen theory believable. The fact they say they're in Ukraine to "deNazify" it just doesn't go with their celebrating a Nazi concentration camp. The Ukrainian ambassadors job is to stir up emotion and he's succeeding at that.

Guardian has an article on different theories

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/07/why-has-the-letter-z-become-the-symbol-of-war-for-russia

But note what the Russian high command say

From the article

The Russian defense ministry itself has not commented on any of the theories, and instead posted on its Instagram channel that Z meant Za pobedu (“for victory”) and V stood for “power of truth”.

Edited by Hugh O'D

Clumbsy fingers.

3 hours ago, Cool Cat said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60653856

War in Ukraine: Crisis is unleashing 'hell on earth' for food prices

Quote from article: “Analysts have warned that war could impact the production of grains and even double global wheat prices.”

How interesting that catastrophic inflation is predicted for wheat and grains in view of the cry of the third horseman of Revelation 6:6:

I heard what sounded like a voice in the midst of the four living creatures say: “A quart of wheat for a de·narʹi·us and three quarts of barley for a de·narʹi·us; and do not harm the olive oil and the wine.”

These are worrying times, but it is unmistakable and exact fulfilment of Bible prophecy.

And things have changed very quickly too. The world is careening from one disaster to another simultaneously. Covid + food shortages + severe weather phenomena + more disease due to disasters + war. All happening now at the same time within the last 2 weeks. Have I left anything out?

A bit off topic here ... but isnt that something?

REV chapter 6 - 4 horsemen prophecy had a first fullfillment back in 2014. And ever since 2020 it seems to grow in bigger fullfillment ever since the pandemic. 

White horseman was said he had to complete his victory. Im sure Michael in Heaven is gathering his angelic troops now to enter in force soon!

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

1 hour ago, Sofia said:

A bit off topic here ... but isnt that something?

REV chapter 6 - 4 horsemen prophecy had a first fullfillment back in 2014. And ever since 2020 it seems to grow in bigger fullfillment ever since the pandemic. 

Is there a typo in this somewhere? Did you mean 2014?

3 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Is there a typo in this somewhere? Did you mean 2014?

Oh typo!! I meant 1914

o🙈🙈🙈

can you correct it please?

I wrote ok but corrector spoiled it

thank you bro Shawn!

what a mess

im sorry 

sorry

sorry

1 minute ago, Sofia said:

Oh typo!! I meant 1914

o🙈🙈🙈

can you correct it please?

I wrote ok but corrector spoiled it

thank you bro Shawn!

what a mess

im sorry 

sorry

sorry

Come on Sophie, it’s only 100 years difference no big deal … LOL 🤣

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

11 minutes ago, VisualizeUrParadise said:

I was going to delve into our publications for this new knowledge...blaming my bad memory.

My mistake

typo mistake

i hate my keyboard 

E607D7BF-A529-41A7-8EA2-061D9011D399.gif

12 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

Come on Sophie, it’s only 100 years difference no big deal … LOL 🤣

2 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

And things have changed very quickly too. The world is careening from one disaster to another simultaneously. Covid + food shortages + severe weather phenomena + more disease due to disasters + war. All happening now at the same time within the last 2 weeks. Have I left anything out?

Maybe this?

The Amazon rainforest is moving towards a "tipping point" where trees may die off en masse, say researchers.

A study suggests the world's largest rainforest is losing its ability to bounce back from damage caused by droughts, fires and deforestation.

The giant forest traps carbon that would otherwise add to global warming.

But previous studies have shown that parts of the Amazon are now emitting more carbon dioxide than can be absorbed.

"The trees are losing health and could be approaching a tipping point - basically, a mass loss of trees," said Dr Chris Boulton of the University of Exeter.

The findings, based on three decades of satellite data, show alarming trends in the "health" of the Amazon rainforest.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60650415

2 hours ago, Hugh O'D said:

I don't find the Sachsenhausen theory believable. The fact they say they're in Ukraine to "deNazify" it just doesn't go with their celebrating a Nazi concentration camp. The Ukrainian ambassadors job is to stir up emotion and he's succeeding at that.

Guardian has an article on different theories

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/07/why-has-the-letter-z-become-the-symbol-of-war-for-russia

But note what the Russian high command say

I agree - and your link to the Guardian is basically the same as I posted from the BBC.  I find these 'theories'? 'ideas'? of what they stand for a lot more feasible at this time. 

Things from the past are taken up and reused for different causes in different ways.  

Eccl 1:9 What has been is what will be,

And what has been done will be done again;

There is nothing new under the sun.

18 hours ago, zoebarry said:

I would like to hear the Russians side of the story and make my own judgment.

If you want, you can talk to Ukrainians.  Here is a list of phone numbers:

https://www.iom.int/iom-hotlines-persons-affected-crisis-ukraine

https://www.kmu.gov.ua/en/uryadova-garyacha-liniya-1545

https://9gag.com/gag/aWg4qZ2

Of course, you have to trust these are legitimate phone numbers and not more Western government and corporation controlled propaganda

18 hours ago, zoebarry said:

Claiming that Putin is “demonic” or a “crazy monster “ are NOT neutral comments.

This is quite true.  All political leaders are opposed to Jehovah.  Had the Great Tribulation started in the 60s or in the early 2010s then JFK or Obama would have led the attack on God's people.  We never want to sound like we are supporting Ukraine in this war or make one side sound like the good guys.

We had a topic on this a while back.  At what point is it OK to label a political leader as "demonic" or "crazy monster."  Is it only after they are dead?  Is it a violation of neutrality to say that Stalin or Hitler were demonic?

Edited by Shawnster

14 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

If you want, you can talk to Ukrainians.  Here is a list of phone numbers:

https://www.iom.int/iom-hotlines-persons-affected-crisis-ukraine

https://www.kmu.gov.ua/en/uryadova-garyacha-liniya-1545

https://9gag.com/gag/aWg4qZ2

Of course, you have to trust these are legitimate phone numbers and not more Western government and corporation controlled propaganda

This is quite true.  All political leaders are opposed to Jehovah.  Had the Great Tribulation started in the 60s or in the early 2010s then JFK or Obama would have led the attack on God's people.  We never want to sound like we are supporting Ukraine in this war or make one side sound like the good guys.

We had a topic on this a while back.  At what point is it OK to label a political leader as "demonic" or "crazy monster."  Is it only after they are dead?  Is it a violation of neutrality to say that Stalin or Hitler were demonic?

Interesting point in your last paragraph..

I am not sure to say those things is a violation of neutrality, just that it doesn’t really offer any proper context or understanding on the totality of the situation..

Maybe that sort of language is best kept in private conversation with friends 

‘What language has the FDS used to describe Stalin or Hitler?

Russian orthodox patriarch Kirill (not Krill) supports Putin and the invasion of Ukraine because they support LGBT.. wonder how nations will react..interesting.

https://theprint.in/world/in-sunday-sermon-orthodox-bishop-kirill-backs-russias-war-against-ukraine/862058/

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/mar/7/patriarch-kirill-russian-orthodox-church-leader-uk/

Edited by VisualizeUrParadise

What others fail to realise is that Satan and his pals know they are near the Endgame now so they are going to create so much Bloodshed Destruction even the murder of innocent Children 😢as we get near the great tribulation don't be surprised if they start to go All Out now😡

8 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

BBC reality check on more fake news that's going around

It's interesting that the article about Misinformation is posted on JW.org again. 

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=501100022&srcid=share

It's a good reminder that all news reports may be slanted. It's unfortunate that in this world of misinformation that we can't even be sure about the reports of possible misinformation. The reports of fake news may be fake news 😳

Despite the misinformation, it's comforting to know that our brothers and sisters are getting accurate information to the GB and they will ensure it's validity before they share it.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

If you want, you can talk to Ukrainians

I am talking to one now. She is right next to the Russian border and says that the area completely surrounded by Russian troops. She is crying. Not from fear of death, but because she is touched by all of the love. Sounds like they are getting extra visits from brothers and sisters via zoom. Looks like whole congregations in some, just brothers in others (I saw screen shots) but I'm not sure of the details and didn't ask. People have also been sending pictures and cards for the children there. Good to know that they are somehow able to receive packages as well. For now anyway. 

Sometimes there are interesting parallelisms in history.

• In the domains of the KotN, in 1933 (about 15 years after being defeated in WW1), a new leader emerged, who got the pride for their country back. 
  • The same year, a wave of persecution against God's people began, instigated  by the clergy.
  • The brothers appealed to the authorities, but it was worse, they began an open and systematic persecution. The international community did not care.
  • In 1936, all the world made it to Berlin to the Olympic Games. Nobody decided to boicott the KotN.
  • In 1938 the KotN decided that they were the protectors of German speaking people in the Sudetenland. After their pretence of diplomacy, they attacked the territory allegedly to free the population, while the other powers decided not to intervene.

Now, a few years later:

• After being defeated in the Cold War, a new leader for the KotN emerged, who got the pride for their country back.
  • About 15 years after that defeat, a wave of persecution against God's people began, instigated  by the clergy.
  • The appeal to the authorities was to no avail. In 2009 and 2010 two important courts in Russia decided that Jehovah's Witnesses are extremists. In 2017 the High Court banned God's people. Some mild protests by the international community.
  • In 2014, all the world  gathered for the Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia. Nobody considered to boicott the KotN.
  • In 2022 the KotN decided that they were protectors of Russian  speaking people in Ukraine. They attacked the territory -at the same time they conducted a pretence of diplomacy-, allegedly to free the population, while the other powers decided  not to intervene, at least directly.

The paralellisms do not have to go on, but the next step was the invasion of Poland in 1939...

Edited by Semer

8 hours ago, GeordieGirl said:

The Amazon rainforest is moving towards a "tipping point"

Everything and Everywhere is at tipping point right now.

This system has no way out, only Jehovah can sort it out. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)