JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New World Translation (2013 revision) in additional languages

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 656 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

After a short vowel follows, according to the new German spelling rules from 1996, now a double s (ss), instead of a sharp S (or Eszett / ß).
For example: Fluss, nass, dass (In the case it means "so that". But the article "das" (means "the") remains an exception )

After a long vowel or a double sound (au, äu, ei, eu) follows a sharp S. So it didn't fall away.
For example: Spaß, Fleiß...

Gesendet von meinem TA-1012 mit Tapatalk

What other differences have you found?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

10 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

I went to school in Austria in the 60's. So I remember the old way. We used the Eberfelder Bible with the old style characters and writing. I can still read it, but the language is soooo old and out of date... (bit like me...)

Tschuss

Just Older emoji856.png

Where in Austria? 

Br Lösch is from Graz and he was an circuit overseer in the 60 and 70ies I think. He was an elder in a viennese congregation later. I remember lots of talks given by him at conventions when I was a kid. 

Where in Austria? 

Br Lösch is from Graz and he was an circuit overseer in the 60 and 70ies I think. He was an elder in a viennese congregation later. I remember lots of talks given by him at conventions when I was a kid. 
Mainly in Michaelhausen near Tulln and Klosterneuburg in Wein. I remember one CO was Bro Renoldner. He spent time in Australia too...
My parents were married in Linz, and we would often go and visit my grandparents who lived there. I still have cousins there, some in the truth in Kollersdorf.
Pic from Wien 1960'se0dc0610d716c6f64ae628cbcd21b404.jpg

Just Older

29 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

Mainly in Michaelhausen near Tulln and Klosterneuburg in Wein. I remember one CO was Bro Renoldner. He spent time in Australia too...
My parents were married in Linz, and we would often go and visit my grandparents who lived there. I still have cousins there, some in the truth in Kollersdorf.
Pic from Wien 1960'se0dc0610d716c6f64ae628cbcd21b404.jpg

Just Older emoji856.png

I remember him too! 

Looking good in your Lederhose 😀

The removal of the short and long conclusions of the final chapter of Mark from the main text is significant. Hopefully, these will appear in the study notes once the study edition is released.

They are in the Study Bible with an explanation why both endings were removed from the main text. At least in Swedish, we used the old translation for those passages when they appear in the study notes.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

10 minutes ago, Skye said:

The removal of the short and long conclusions of the final chapter of Mark from the main text is significant. Hopefully, these will appear in the study notes once the study edition is released.

They are there now in JWLibrary both in PC and ios

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Meant the German 2018 RNWT....should've specified. The reference however leads to Appendix A3 where I found some of the text and images found in the study notes in the English Study Bible.

Edited by Skye

add...

7 minutes ago, Skye said:

Meant the German 2018 RNWT....should've specified. The reference however leads to Appendix A3 where I found some of the text and images found in the study notes in the English Study Bible.

Oh, good! I have often wondered where 'Here' was. I saw a sign in a store that said "YOU ARE HERE" but I can't remember where the store was. :(

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, TonyWenz said:

Pic from Wien 1960's
Just Older emoji856.png

High on a hill was a lonely goatherd 🎶 🎶 🎶
Lay eeeee odl lay eeeee odl lay heeeeee hoooo 🎵

Edited by ChocoBro

Br. Lösch emphasized that the new Bible is primarily for the ministry; he encouraged us not to read the new Bible with a view to criticizing the translation. He also said it is not an aid to learning Hebrew/Greek.

On a personal note, it impressed me to know that Br. Lösch 'practises what he preaches'. (Those in attendance would recall that he really emphasized the need to read the Bible daily. Not regularly!) He admitted that he reads the Bible every day, with the goal of completing it every year. 

You have already read some of the tips he gave for effective reading, such as not doing it before bedtime (goodnight cigarette illustration). One that stuck in my head was not listening to audio recordings of the Bible while driving. He recommended listening to Awake recordings etc instead. I was touched that the FDS really want us to hold the word of God, a love-letter from Jehovah to us, with the highest regard!

Edited by Skye

Just now, Skye said:

Br. Lösch emphasized that the new Bible is primarily for the ministry; he encouraged us not to read the new Bible with a view to criticizing the translation. He also said it is not an aid to learning Hebrew/Greek.

On a personal note, it impressed me to know that Br. Lösch 'practises what he preaches'. (Those in attendance would recall that he really emphasized the need to read the Bible daily. Not regularly!) He admitted that he reads the Bible every day, with the goal of completing it every year. 

You have already read some of the tips he gave for effective reading, such as not doing it before bedtime (goodnight cigarette illustration). One that stuck in my head was not listening to audio recordings of the Bible while driving. He recommended listening to Awake recordings etc instead. I was touched that the FDS really want us to hold the word of God, a love-letter from Jehovah to us, in the highest regard!

Also: Imagine if you had somebody you loved, but you asked him not to talk to you every day, but every few days, maybe once a week.

Wikipedia already updated....wow! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_translations_into_German

On February 2, 2019, one member of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, released the revised edition of the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures in German with a new name—Die Bibel. Neue-Welt-Übersetzung[14] This Bible is based from the English 2013 revision of the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures which was released at the 129th annual meeting of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania on October 5 and 6, 2013 in the Assembly Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses, Jersey City, New Jersey, U.S.A.[15] This newly revised edition in German includes the use of more modern and understandable language, clarified Biblical expression, appendixes, and many more.[16]

So happy for you German brothers and sisters. You’ve been waiting a long time for that. 

One brother who works on convention planning and has lots of contacts in branch offices said the International Conventions in Miami and other Spanish speaking countries will be memorable this year. I asked why. He just said “wait. You’ll see”. I hope that means what I think it means.

So happy for you German brothers and sisters. You’ve been waiting a long time for that. 

One brother who works on convention planning and has lots of contacts in branch offices said the International Conventions in Miami and other Spanish speaking countries will be memorable this year. I asked why. He just said “wait. You’ll see”. I hope that means what I think it means.

It’s a rare thing these days to have literature released at conventions, as we no longer have any department caring for such things.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Just now, Thesauron said:

It’s a rare thing these days to have literature released at conventions, as we no longer have any department caring for such things.

We don't have a department for literature at Special Branch Visits either...❤️

On 1/22/2019 at 7:55 AM, Bek said:

Ok, thanks for the reply. I have never heard American Spanish. I guess it is similar to Mexican Spanish with bit of US-influenced words of its own. :)

I would like to add a little more to what @carlos already mentioned. The English term for the Spanish that is spoken in the American continents is Latin American Spanish. As @carlos mentioned, the main difference is reflected in pronunciation.

Namely, this is evident in the written form ’ce’, ’ci’, and ’z’. In these cases, the letters ’c’ and ’z’ are pronounced /s/ in Latin America, some parts of southern Spain, and in most of the Canary Islands which are part of Spain.

The other main difference is in the usage of ’vosotros’ which in English is the plural ’you’. In Latin America and most of the Canary Islands it is not used. Instead, a formal plural ’you’ is used (ustedes).

In regards to the NWT, the written language is exactly the same except that the NWT does not use ’vosotros’. Instead, it uses the formal plural you ’ustedes’, which is part of the Spanish language but is used less in most of Spain. What is interesting is that many non-witnesses in Latin America use old translations that do use ’vosotros’. People in Latin America have no problem understanding ’vosotros’ and all of its conjugations, it’s just that they normally don’t use it when speaking.

Regarding the JW recordings, most of them are done in Mexico which is now called the Central American Branch because the branch was combined with the Central American branches that existed before. Most of the brothers that do the recordings for the videos are Mexican, but some of them are Central American. You almost have to be Mexican or Central American to tell the difference in the accent. One of the ’biggest’ differencea in pronunciation is the /n/ sound, especially at the end of words. Most Mexicans pronounce it /n/ as it is pronounced in Spain. But, Central Americans tend to pronounce it /ŋ/, which is produced using the rear part of the tongue with the rear part of the palate. This is also found among Carribean Spanish speakers and Portuguese speakers.

As @carlosmentioned, we really don’t have any serious problems in understanding each other especially when we all try to speak ’standard’ Spanish which anyone who has gone to school has learned. This is due to the fact that all Spanish speaking countries are members of the Spanish Royal Academy which works hard to standardize the language. 

On 2/3/2019 at 3:55 PM, MM9106 said:

I really hope that we get the Spanish revised NWT as sson as possible also. I see @Thesauron and @jwhess’s points regarding whether the revised version would be released at the Miami Spanish International convention.

I remember in 2014 at the Korea International convention, the revised Korean Bible was released. However, the Korean language is not the native language of so many people all over the world. It was very convenient to release it in Korea since most of the native speaking Korean witnesses in the world were there.

Spanish, on the other hand, is the native language of people in at least 20 different countries with a combined population of at least 430,000,000 people distributed among six time zones, more or less.

When the revised English Bible was released, they didn’t release it in one country. The did it at the 2013 Annual meeting, but they also tied in seven different branches where English is the main language in at least four of them (USA, UK, Canada, and Australia). I can’t think of the other three at the moment. Maybe the U.S. Virgin Islands, Bahamas, etc. The point is that they released the revised Bible at the same time in all these English speaking countries and then on the same weekend, they replayed the program in other countries and had a total attendance of about 1.4.million people. 

I seriously doubt that the GB is going to release the revised Spanish Bible only at the Miami Spanish International convention in May and then have everybody keep it a secret until December when the last Spanish International convention will be held in Argentina. The only way I think they would do it is if they tie in all the Spanish speaking branches to the release in Miami and/or record it and replay it on that same weekend in all the other Spanish-speaking countries. Otherwise, they will probably have a special meeting in one of the main Spanish-speaking countries, maybe Spain since the translation department is there or Mexico since most of the audio is recorded there. Then they will probably tie in the other branches and record and replay it on the same weekend in all the Spanish-speaking congregations.

It would be great for this to happen in Miami because this would mean that it would happen in May, the sooner the better! But, I feel that it’s going to be something similar to the second option I mentioned in the previous paragraph. The new Jesus book has been available for about a year now, so it feels like this year is going to be special for Spanish speakers as far as the revised NWT is concerned.

FEBRUARY 4, 2019
WHAT’S NEW

New World Translation Released in German

The revised edition of the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures was released in German on February 2, 2019, in Selters, Germany. The New World Translation has been translated in whole or in part into 179 languages, including 20 complete revisions based on the 2013 edition.