JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

December Broadcast

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3032 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

"G'day, Aaron."

"G'day, Moses."

"We will soon be entering the 39th year of our 40 year walk-about..."

:blink: :huh:

Oh. Right. :D Just the accent would be Aussie. ^_^

It might sound a bit different depending where in Australia you are, especially if you use the Murri (Aboriginal) greeting.

"Which-way Arron?

Which-way Moses?

Reckon we been out 'ere comin' up 40 years!

Yep! I reckon too."

For those who don't know: "Which-way" is short for "Which way are you heading?" And is usually just said, "Ay, which-way?"

It could go:

Aaron: "Ay, which-way?"

Moses: "Tent of meeting. Which-way you?"

Well, that's based on those I Murri's I knew in Cairns.

I think it would be great to have an English drama where they all have Australian or British accents!!   :thumbsup:

" Moses, that's not a tablet, this here is a tablet"

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Made me smile when the brother in the section about reaching out used the expression "the friends". That expression never used in the UK, so weird hearing it in a British accent. Although I think that was actually filmed in Holland, the bikes looked very Dutch.

Maybe we will start saying " the friends" here too...

My family said the exact same thing! So funny to hear 'the friends' from a British accent!

My family said the exact same thing! So funny to hear 'the friends' from a British accent!

I love the expression "friends" but in Germany we always say "brothers and sisters". To me "brothers and sisters" are "natural" family members whom you just have, you can't do anything against this fact, but "friends" you choose very carefully. To me this fits better.

If Satan reminds you of your past remind him of his future.

OK, so what's the German phrase 'brothers and sisters'? ☺

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

This discussion on using the expression "the friends" is very interesting.  I know a bit of Italian, and looked at how it was translated when it came up in the publications.  Almost invariably, the word for word translation is "the brothers" (fratelli), not "the friends" (amici).  I wonder how other languages translate this?  It leads me to believe this is just an American thing, or at least it started there, and is now being used more and more in English speaking countries only.  Below are the examples in Italian:

kr chap. 7 pp. 68-77
“The radio work has been a real stimulus to the friends in their canvassing from door to door.”
“L’uso della radio è stato per i fratelli un vero stimolo nella predicazione di porta in porta.”

w14 7/15 pp. 17-22
“She also loves the friends and is very concerned about others.”
“Ama anche i fratelli ed è molto premurosa nei confronti degli altri.”

yb12 pp. 164-255
“We took some time to encourage the friends but finally had to return to Nairobi . . .”
“Ci prendemmo del tempo per incoraggiare i fratelli, ma alla fine dovemmo tornare a Nairobi, . . .”

w12 10/15 p. 32
“Our children, Cody and Larissa, were very touched by the faith and trials of the friends in Russia.”
“i nostri figli, Cody e Larissa, sono rimasti molto colpiti dalle prove affrontate dai fratelli russi”

This discussion on using the expression "the friends" is very interesting.  I know a bit of Italian, and looked at how it was translated when it came up in the publications.  Almost invariably, the word for word translation is "the brothers" (fratelli), not "the friends" (amici).  I wonder how other languages translate this?  It leads me to believe this is just an American thing, or at least it started there, and is now being used more and more in English speaking countries only.  Below are the examples in Italian:

kr chap. 7 pp. 68-77
“The radio work has been a real stimulus to the friends in their canvassing from door to door.”
“L’uso della radio è stato per i fratelli un vero stimolo nella predicazione di porta in porta.”

w14 7/15 pp. 17-22

yb12 pp. 164-255
“We took some time to encourage the friends but finally had to return to Nairobi . . .”
“Ci prendemmo del tempo per incoraggiare i fratelli, ma alla fine dovemmo tornare a Nairobi, . . .”

w12 10/15 p. 32
“Our children, Cody and Larissa, were very touched by the faith and trials of the friends in Russia.”
“i nostri figli, Cody e Larissa, sono rimasti molto colpiti dalle prove affrontate dai fratelli russi”

Br. John,  How does 3 John 14 read in the Italian NWT?  Does it say "the friends send greetings" or "the brothers send greetings"?  

I could not edit the post I just made so I will repeat it.  The original language in 3 John 14 uses the Greek PHILOS (Strongs #5384) meaning Dear Friend or Neighbor.  However in 3 John 3 the Greek word used is ADELPHON (Strongs #80) meaning Brother either literally or figuratively.  So the Apostle John used both words to describe his close associates.  I don't think the difference is a English translation difficulty since the Greek used two different words.

Edited by jwhess

I have to say that I regard the worldwide brotherhood as my family, not merely friends. There is a subtle difference in English between the two, and, in my mind, the "friends" are slightly more distant than brothers.

Yes I have friends in the truth, some closer than others, but they are all my family.

My parents made me leave home when I got the truth, and the brothers took me in. When I dedicated myself to Jehovah I became a member of his family, and hopefully HIS friend.

kr chap. 7 pp. 68-77

w14 7/15 pp. 17-22

yb12 pp. 164-255

w12 10/15 p. 32

The same happens in Portuguese. In all the above cases the word "friends" was translated as "brothers." For us also it sounds strange to use the word "friends" instead of "brothers". Perhaps this expression becomes more common for us here while the other brothers in the world begin to use it more often.

Is this sister the same as the one in "True Love" movie?

And the parents' hair in this video is the same as in the other one.

The sister waiting for her loved one to be resurrected does seem to be

acted by the same sister who starred in the "What Is True Love" movie,

as the one who upheld Bible principles about dating and marrying.

Didn't really notice the parents' hair, though. ^_^ 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Is this sister the same as the one in "True Love" movie?

And the parents' hair in this video is the same as in the other one.

I second what Rosanne said. It is definitely the same sister.

We're seeing many brothers and sisters in videos who were also used elsewhere. In just the "True Love" video, there were several, besides this sister. The brother who plays Zack is the same one who played Anton in "The Prodigal Returns." And the sister who played Megan played the part of Anton's girlfriend Jessica in the same video! (Yes, the two of them really are married.) And where have we seen the father of Liz in "True Love"? He played the part of Andre's coach in "Young People Ask—What Will I Do With My Life." Were there any others?

Edited by Sheep

My husband and I chuckled when Bro. Splane said a camel gets good mileage, 40 or 50 miles per gallon of water. A little later he said that these camels were not your speedy roadster camels, although they do exist, but were slow, burden-bearing Arabian camels that can do about 25 miles a day. So it would have taken 20 days to make the 500 mile journey.

It was a great talk to learn more about Isaac and Rebekah, but the camel/car comparisons were neat, too!

There is a Bethel couple who used to go to my congregation who are regularly used in JW productions - photos in magazines, the "Why Study the Bible" video, walking around in the video selling the Brooklyn properties... they are like stock models!  :D

It's cool to be "in"... ;)

A couple from my congregation was attending the London 2014 international convention. When they returned they were showing us videos of the delegates night performances. And they were singing the song that is now on the broadcast!!!!! 

I loved it from the second i heard it! I was looking all over the internet for that video. I was hoping that someone would've uploaded a video with that song... I found nothing!

And now LOOK! We have that song available for everyone!!