JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

DISCUSS COURT CASE HERE JW.org - Jehovah’s Witnesses Mobilize Global Response to Threat of Ban in Russia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1392 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

1 minute ago, kejedo said:

Trying to assimilate this info:

It seems that yesterday was the countersuit (our side) against a decision regarding one city or district in Russia. Correction invited.

I believe that today was the beginning of the actual case for the entire country to ban Our Brothers completely throughout Russia.

Would like more understanding.

I agree, and also wondering if I'm incorrect in thinking they said something about Russia saying the entire Organization should be banned? They talked about us being in other countries.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

1 hour ago, Zacchaeus The Short said:

I dot understand why do some media enjoy spreading the fake news? Is that what they dream for? Shame. 

It seems to me yesterday's petitions from our brothers were (a counter-suit) to appeal a preemptive strike by Russia's Ministry of Justice (on headquarters in St. Petersburg?) All or almost all of our brothers petitions were denied.  If that is correct, then New-reporters are correct  in stating the initial ban has not been over-turned.

Today's suit is (or appears to be) Russian Ministry's national attack to ban Jehovah's Witnesses completely. 

6 minutes ago, Luis said:

I believe the ban that was upheld by the Supreme Court concerns the city of Birobidzhan.  

Seems like that city outright banned JW's.  (End of paragraph 3 in the article.)

Yes, I was under that impression, as well. That is why I was unsure at times if they were talking about Birobidzhan, or St. Petersburg (or something else.)  Big difference in mileage. 

http://www2.stetson.edu/~psteeves/relnews/161012d.html

Edited by kejedo

16 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Does this mean then that if JWs win this court case it will overturn the ban in Birobidzhan?

I don't think anyone here is savvy enough with the Russian legalities to guess one way or another. 

I'm thinking the brothers in Russia involved in the case have a feeling one way or another, but remember, Jehovah can cause anything to change and he can also choose to permit anything.  

We just don't know.

2 hours ago, cricket246 said:

Anyone else here getting a Bethel speaker for their Memorial talk? I was wandering if he will have news on Russia, I'm hoping! Also, this Saturday having a special presentation on the JW's organization through the ages, given by the same Bethel speaker. We have had 2 move away, 2 in the process of moving, and over 50% of the others are elderly and/or facing poor health, so wondering if this is something going on elsewhere or if perhaps theyre gonna be merging our hall with another. :confused:

OT, but, the circuit a bit inland from us, well, the visiting speaker brother is Letts! No, I am not going over to visit! 

Edited by Miss Bea

Um, routine!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Don't forget this one...

15:20
The Ministry of Justice in its suit confirms the necessity of liquidation of religious organizations due to the fact that organizations, in their opinion, violate the rights of citizens. The court asks the representative of Borisov the next clarifying question: which rights of citizens are violated? Borisova says that this is the right to receive medical treatment. According to their data, organizations prevent citizens from receiving medical treatment. In response to a rumble in the hall, the judge asks those present to restrain emotions.

was this man the same judge for the yesterday's hearing? i mean it seems like this time he's being more logical and reasonable.i just pray its Jehovah stirring his heart in right course.

Sent from my TECNO P9 using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, kejedo said:

It seems to me yesterday's petitions from our brothers were (a counter-suit) to appeal a preemptive strike by Russia's Ministry of Justice (on headquarters in St. Petersburg?) All or almost all of our brothers petitions were denied.  If that is correct, then New-reporters are correct  in stating the initial ban has not been over-turned.

Today's suit is (or appears to be) Russian Ministry's national attack to ban Jehovah's Witnesses completely. 

Hi Sister Pauline,

All of the Russian legal jargon can be confusing, I know I have to re-read and analyze many of the reports just to grasp what is being stated. But I hope the following explanations help.

The initial ban and liquidation of Jehovah's Witnesses was not over-turned because there is no official ban yet. So in other words there is no verdict to overturn. The purpose of this hearing by the Supreme Court is to decide a request or "claim" by the Minister of Justice to possibly ban and liquidate.

Yesterday was not about a "counter-suit", but simply the first day of the entire hearing.  And the first motion or request by our lawyers was a "counter-claim" asking the Court to view the Minster of Justice's prejudicial claim that Jehovah's Witnesses are "extremists" as "political repressions". Here is the actual report from JW-Russia.org on this first request by our lawyers yesterday:

"The court refused to accept a counterclaim on recognizing the actions of the Ministry of Justice as political repressions..."

After our "counter-claim" was rejected, our lawyers then made 16 more legal motions or requests in which almost all were rejected.

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

55 minutes ago, Adelin said:

"And the serpent spewed out water like a river from its mouth after the woman, to cause her to be drowned by the river. But the earth came to the woman’s help, and the earth opened its mouth and swallowed up the river that the dragon spewed out from its mouth".  - Revelation 12:15,16.

I just pray that the brothers may have wisdom in defending themselves the best way and be permitted to do that,  thus giving a great witness no matter the outcome. I'm the kind that does not set expectations too high. No matter what, we know we show who we are through trials and hardships. These kind of situations are the ones which made us proud of our history - because we are LOYAL.

" Indeed, what do you have that you did not receive ? "

Well this is the Supreme Court of the Russian federation... hence the appeal..they are referring to other courts decisions and passing judgement on their legal opinions .. yesterday was they excepted most of the lower court decisions .. today they are calling into question some of those judgements.. personally I think the longer this goes on the better it is for us .. all the methodology and judgements become internationally known and exposed,  and becomes a matter of court record which can be challenged at the European court .. assuming that Russia will respect it's judgement...
There is at least two other aspects we have to consider... international embarrassment and Russia's judicial separation of justice and political powers.. that is a huge area for international investment. 

You never know how it will turn out..
10 years ago our Kingdom Hall received a tax bill of $47,000.00 .. the city taxed our parking lot..
We went to the Supreme Court of British Columbia and lost..
but the public embarrassment  of the case that only one religion was taxed and all the others were not, produced a political backlash.. We got all our money back plus interest ... so there are many dimensions to this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lance

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

Would be great if a positive result was announced the day before and our brothers can enjoy the memorial in peace.

Probably not fake, but possibly a misunderstanding from perhaps a stressed reporter. The article seems to have been written in a hurry.

____
"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."—Matthew 6:21.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

18 minutes ago, Adelin said:

I just pray that the brothers may have wisdom in defending themselves the best way and be permitted to do that,  thus giving a great witness no matter the outcome. I'm the kind that does not set expectations too high. No matter what, we know we show who we are through trials and hardships. These kind of situations are the ones which made us proud of our history - because we are LOYAL.

I find these scriptures  a great help ... and I'm sure the brothers know it well also. I loove it. Luke 12:11,12 and luke 21:14

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

This is fourth time I've tried. It opens when I try it before I send so I don't know what happens before it gets to the forum. Hope it works this time.

Shared from BBC News

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39508555

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..