JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Fifty Abduls!

After the 1rst meeting, they got an A by their name on my iPad. After the 2nd, a B. It is my own invention, done so that no one falls through the cracks.

Nobody got a C for the next meeting, because I was not there myself to see. After the next, they got a D & autocorrect made them all 'Abduls!'

Fifty people in my congregation are named Abdul!

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

Tom dear brother... please make your posts simpler to understand.

This forum is enjoyed by many brothers and sisters from various backgrounds and clarity is vital when we post something 

Hope you understand :givehug:

You have posted this as a TOPIC, not a status update.

Question: What do we discuss here? What is the intention of the post?

Edited by Gregexplore

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

For every meeting that a person attends, he's assigning a letter value.  So if the people aren't there, he can remember to not let them fall through the cracks.  Yet, he wasn't there himself when he was supposed to assign them a C.  LOL!  Funny.  He wasn't there to CEE them.  Then, all those who made the D meeting, became Abduls.... 50 people made at least 4 of the meetings and were blessed to become Abduls.  

At least that's what I understood.  

4 minutes ago, cerebral ecstasy said:

For every meeting that a person attends, he's assigning a letter value.  So if the people aren't there, he can remember to not let them fall through the cracks.  Yet, he wasn't there himself when he was supposed to assign them a C.  LOL!  Funny.  He wasn't there to CEE them.  Then, all those who made the D meeting, became Abduls.... 50 people made at least 4 of the meetings and were blessed to become Abduls.  

At least that's what I understood.  

Yes. It’s a little murky, perhaps. Sorry to all who didn’t see it. It is a recent system self-devised for just what CE said. 

I hadn’t done it in years, but I restarted because we merged with another congregation and there were many names to learn.

I also did it many years ago, when my kids were small, using graph paper, in a former congregation. I got out of the habit, but recently visited a meeting where my daughter, now grown, attended. I glanced her way, and very discreetly, she was checking off names on her list.

She is the one serving as a need greater in Myanmar now 

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

46 minutes ago, cerebral ecstasy said:

This is actually a really good idea.  When you get to Z do you just start over? 

Incidentally, all my not at home's recently became 'numbers' lol.  I was so cheesed.

Yes. The point is not to read any significance into specific absences. There are always some for many reasons. It is more the pattern revealed that is helpful. You a) learn new names, and b) spot it when people are having difficulty.

If anyone has ever said ‘Wow! I haven’t seen so-and-so forever’ and feels bad for not having spotted it before, this is the answer. (It would look a little silly if everyone was doing it, though)

1 hour ago, Patinage said:

I can understand A B D, but what about uls ? What do those letters stand for? I still don't get it.

That part I think I understand: When you write down "A", "B" and "D" on the keyboard the auto-correct changes to Abdul

The thing I don't understand is everything except that :)

Auto-correct is a feature of many smartphones and tablets. As you type, it sometimes "corrects" as you go, trying to "predict" what the word should be. In some cases it will change what you typed just as you hit the save or send button and you now have a word or name you did not intend.

On many text message programs, as you type it will show a small list of words it has determined "might" be the word you want. If it does have the correct word, you simply touch that word and you do not have to type the rest of the word - saves time - however, sometimes, when you type a word it can't quite decipher, it will offer some suggestions and also give you a check mark. If you touch the check mark, it will leave the word as you typed it .... however, if you do NOT touch the check mark, it will change the word to the closest match it determined - 

In his case, it took ABD to match "Abdul" and made the changes - evidently, he did not touch the check mark :nope:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Things do not translate across all areas, cultures, and technologies, as someone here said, and I apologize again for any confusion. I think a few of the most recent comments are good-natured teasing. 

It does remind me of one brother I knew years ago who had this particular 'shtick.' Whenever anyone would crack a truly hilarious joke that had everyone in stitches, he would wait till the laughter had almost faded out before saying, in mock perplexity: "Um.....I don't get it," and that would crank up the laughter all over again.

Good will to all. Just having fun here. There is nothing like chumming around with the friends.

As long as I am at it, I will spill another: Last week's Watchtower featured a brother named Tom who almost jumped to the wrong conclusions upon finding a brother holding hands with a woman not his wife. Thankfully, he did some investigating  before mouthing off, and discovered that she was his fleshly sister.

After a few comments, I raised my hand and said: "In hindsight, I was rather embarrassed over the whole thing, and I am glad I did not blow the brother in."

I am still working on this week's meeting, which features an elder named  Tom. I am unsure which way it will go, but it may be something like: "Brothers, sister Cloudnine just laid a little dilemma on us. Maybe we can take time to discuss it now. It shouldn't take more than two or three hours. Oh, and that life that you think you have? Forget about it."

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2018 at 5:00 PM, Musky said:

I'm sorry, I must be getting senile (or more senile ) but I just don't understand your topics. To me, they're a step above gibberish.

No offense intended.

i see where you are coming from.. i worked 'some of it out' but it took some time. A few necessary details were missing that would make it a lot easier to 'assimilate' (a borg ref there... just for you); 

Edited by Alan