JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Covid-19 Vaccine Research, Development, Ingredients and Reactions

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 809 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

3 hours ago, Lieblingskind said:

Ok making an experiment. Getting tested this week for antibodies. :popcorn:

Depending on how long ago you received the vaccine, your antibody levels could be significantly lower than those who recently received a vaccine. Antibody tests are only useful if conducted shortly after getting the shot. 

9 hours ago, Shawnster said:

At least 3 in my congregation, including my father in law. 

Maybe me, my wife, her mom, and her grandmother.  We will never know. We all were terribly ill in January 2020.  All diagnosed with something different but we were all sick at the same time and all caught it from my wife's grandmother. Nobody heard of covid them, so we weren't tested obviously and never gave it the first thought until mid March. Even then they thought covid wasn't in the states before February.  I've heard since then they think maybe December 19 it was here. 

9 hours ago, BLEmom said:

I have other friends who also swear they must of had Covid in January 2020. I think it was spread before they knew anything. 

Interestingly both my husband and I were very sick the whole month of Jan 2020. Missed a lot of meetings and between that and snow storms were getting way behind pioneering. Was really looking forward to the Memorial invitation campaign with nice weather and good support...well things changed. But we often wonder what made us so sick.

Question for Sister Sophia:

When a fully vaccinated person comes in contact with Covid,

do the memory T-cells immediately begin producing antibodies?  

Or does it take awhile for them to ramp up production?

Thanks in advance. :D 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

13 hours ago, Hope said:

Disappointed at @vern's nonchalance, but that's his right, I suppose.. 🤨😐

If Vern hasn't seen any deaths, I can see why he would not be concerned.

My older sister told me about several family members who have had COVID, about 14 in all.  1 died from COVID, 2 survived COVID and then died due to organ damage from COVID.  There are several forms of coronavirus.  I read that about 30% of common colds are caused by coronavirus.  Some forms of coronavirus are more contagious than others and also more deadly.

VERN said that he worked in a group of 600 people and none of them even had COVID.  About 15% of people have had COVID.  Going by averages, out of 600 people you would expect about 90 people to get COVID, but the thing about averages is that they are averages.  If you have your head in a hot oven and your feet in a refrigerator, on the average you are comfortable.  So maybe VERN was in a group that did not fit the average.

It takes some of these websites over 2 years to compile data on health statistics and death rates.  I have heard that the death rate for 2020 was higher, not just because of COVID, but also because of other diseases.  Preliminary death rates for 2020 can be viewed here:

https://usafacts.org/articles/preliminary-us-death-statistics-more-deaths-in-2020-than-2019-coronavirus-age-flu/#:~:text=In comparison%2C 2%2C854%2C838 people died in 2019%2C meaning,per 1%2C000%2C the highest death rate since 1943.

2020 had the highest death rate since 1943.

The local hospital in my town has had to add refrigerated trucks because they could not hold all the deaths in the morgue.  I have heard from friends in some areas that COVID-19 has been all over the area.  I personally do not know anyone in the area who has died, but a drive by the local hospital reveals that the deaths are for real.

Edited by Witness1970

2 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Question for Sister Sophia:

When a fully vaccinated person comes in contact with Covid,

do the memory T-cells immediately begin producing antibodies?  

Or does it take awhile for them to ramp up production?

Thanks in advance. :D 

The first thing comming into action are the T-Cells celular immunity, they fight the virus body-to-body. After... the B-Cells can be activated just in case the first ones arent able to contain the infection. It´s the B-cells that produce antibodies :) 

You are sweet, sister Rosanne ❤️

Edited by Sofia

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

2 hours ago, Witness1970 said:

If Vern hasn't seen any deaths, I can see why he would not be concerned.

My older sister told me about several family members who have had COVID, about 14 in all.  1 died from COVID, 2 survived COVID and then died due to organ damage from COVID.  There are several forms of coronavirus.  I read that about 30% of common colds are caused by coronavirus.  Some forms of coronavirus are more contagious than others and also more deadly.

VERN said that he worked in a group of 600 people and none of them even had COVID.  About 15% of people have had COVID.  Going by averages, out of 600 people you would expect about 90 people to get COVID, but the thing about averages is that they are averages.  If you have your head in a hot oven and your feet in a refrigerator, on the average you are comfortable.  So maybe VERN was in a group that did not fit the average.

It takes some of these websites over 2 years to compile data on health statistics and death rates.  I have heard that the death rate for 2020 was higher, not just because of COVID, but also because of other diseases.  Preliminary death rates for 2020 can be viewed here:

https://usafacts.org/articles/preliminary-us-death-statistics-more-deaths-in-2020-than-2019-coronavirus-age-flu/#:~:text=In comparison%2C 2%2C854%2C838 people died in 2019%2C meaning,per 1%2C000%2C the highest death rate since 1943.

2020 had the highest death rate since 1943.

The local hospital in my town has had to add refrigerated trucks because they could not hold all the deaths in the morgue.  I have heard from friends in some areas that COVID-19 has been all over the area.  I personally do not know anyone in the area who has died, but a drive by the local hospital reveals that the deaths are for real.

😲  With all the info we receive from the GB Updates, news sources and this discussion board, the reality of the virulence of COVID-19 being in doubt by anyone sorta blows my mind.  Since when do we need to see or experience something personally believe it's real?

I've never lost anyone I loved intensely in death, never had a serious disease, never experience war, poverty, homelessness... but I would never dismiss the experiences - or reality- that these things exist and are prevalent.   

Seems it would be better to be grateful for the lack of personal affect... and be kind and helpful to those whom it *has* affected. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Hope;

You and I agree on too many things for us to be at odds on this.  The governing body tells us that the vaccines have proven safe and effective for the GB and Bethel families around the world.  They do not tell individuals that they should take the vaccine.  That is a personal decision.

I used to say that I could either believe certain news anchors and politicians OR I could believe the science.  Now I would have to say that I can either believe those news anchors and politicians OR I can believe the GB.  I believed the science before, but now I believe the GB.

That being said, I do not tell people what they should do, and that includes vaccines. I also do not judge anyone for their choices.  That is their personal decision.  No one has to explain to me why they choose a certain way.  They do not actually have to tell me what choice they made.  It is not my business.

I think if you read my entire earlier post you will find that we are still agreeable on most things.  My way of explaining it may leave a lot to be desired however.

2 hours ago, DonnaR said:

Another question for Sofia

For an unvaccinated person who had and recovered from covid (non severe), would exposure to covid again later be like an immunity booster?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi 👋 

from all my research and family experience 

As long as the person has intact imune system no extra vaccination is required 

the infection protects the person 

who has bad imune systems?

HIV people lymphoma leukemia and similar illnesses

these can catch COVID many times 

as long as the person has a normal imune system if you had COVID you are protected

Keep wearing masks and proper hygiene because we can carry the virus even if we don’t get sick

future exposure to coronavirus don’t boost anything. It simply triggers imuneresponse to avoid being ill and you won’t be ill hopefully 

Edited by Sofia

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

4 hours ago, Witness1970 said:

Hope;

You and I agree on too many things for us to be at odds on this.  The governing body tells us that the vaccines have proven safe and effective for the GB and Bethel families around the world.  They do not tell individuals that they should take the vaccine.  That is a personal decision.

I used to say that I could either believe certain news anchors and politicians OR I could believe the science.  Now I would have to say that I can either believe those news anchors and politicians OR I can believe the GB.  I believed the science before, but now I believe the GB.

That being said, I do not tell people what they should do, and that includes vaccines. I also do not judge anyone for their choices.  That is their personal decision.  No one has to explain to me why they choose a certain way.  They do not actually have to tell me what choice they made.  It is not my business.

I think if you read my entire earlier post you will find that we are still agreeable on most things.  My way of explaining it may leave a lot to be desired however.

I made no reference to getting or not getting vaccines... I'm only talking about the amount of people getting sick and dying.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02795-x

This article is very interesting because it compares the immune responses in ones who had covid plus vaccine (hybrid immunity) with those who just had the double dose of vaccination (naive vaccinated individuals).

“Initial studies of people with hybrid immunity found that their serum — the antibody-containing portion of blood — was far better able to neutralize immune-evading strains, such as the Beta variant identified in South Africa, and other coronaviruses, compared with ‘naive’ vaccinated individuals who had never encountered SARS-CoV-22. It wasn’t clear whether this was just due to the high levels of neutralizing antibodies, or to other properties.

Differences between the memory B cells triggered by infection and those triggered by vaccination — as well as the antibodies they make — might also underlie the heightened responses of hybrid immunity. Infection and vaccination expose the spike protein to the immune system in vastly different ways, Nussenzweig says.

In a series of studies3,4,5, Nussenzweig’s team, which includes Hatziioannou and Bieniasz, compared the antibody responses of infected and vaccinated people. Both lead to the establishment of memory B cells that make antibodies that have evolved to become more potent, but the researchers suggest this occurs to a greater extent after infection.”

So vaccinations plus previous exposure to covid gives optimal protection. But, it’s not a good idea to get covid naturally because of the risks involved in having a bad case which leads to ICU or death.

“Those studying hybrid immunity stress that — whatever the potential benefits — the risks of a SARS-CoV-2 infection mean that it should be avoided. “We are not inviting anybody to get infected and then vaccinated to have a good response,” says Finzi. “Because some of them will not make it through.”

But it does give a glimpse into the wonderful way our bodies are made - what a marvellous immune system we have, that does so well even in this imperfect world within our imperfect bodies. Ps 139:14.

Edited by hatcheckgirl

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02795-x

This article is very interesting because it compares the immune responses in ones who had covid plus vaccine (hybrid immunity) with those who just had the double dose of vaccination (naive vaccinated individuals).

“Initial studies of people with hybrid immunity found that their serum — the antibody-containing portion of blood — was far better able to neutralize immune-evading strains, such as the Beta variant identified in South Africa, and other coronaviruses, compared with ‘naive’ vaccinated individuals who had never encountered SARS-CoV-22. It wasn’t clear whether this was just due to the high levels of neutralizing antibodies, or to other properties.

Differences between the memory B cells triggered by infection and those triggered by vaccination — as well as the antibodies they make — might also underlie the heightened responses of hybrid immunity. Infection and vaccination expose the spike protein to the immune system in vastly different ways, Nussenzweig says.

In a series of studies3,4,5, Nussenzweig’s team, which includes Hatziioannou and Bieniasz, compared the antibody responses of infected and vaccinated people. Both lead to the establishment of memory B cells that make antibodies that have evolved to become more potent, but the researchers suggest this occurs to a greater extent after infection.”

Correct

this information is trustworthy 

46 minutes ago, vern said:

I.ve been told natural immunity persons shouldn.t.get the vaccine... Certian risk factors..

Sophia?

A) You mean “natural immunity “ as people who had covid and then became protected?

b) or you mean natural immunity as people with some sort of naive protection given by years of contact with cold coronavirus or even previous vacines (TB BCG for ex) ?

in a) there s no necessary danger to be vaccinated. In rare cases you may develop some sort of auto imune response…

most likely you are protected and you don’t need any vaccine at all. Unless your imune system is compromised (HIV infected or leukemia or limphoma) then you need several boosts from time to time. It’s been under study 

b) there s no evidence about this. It a shot in the dark. It may be true in some people but not in others.  If you never had covid better take the jab just in case. 
fear side effects? I would fear the viral infection more.

this is all true

GB tells the truth to us

of course bethelites had the jabs

they were in lockdown 

never had the virus

they have obeyed they were careful.

us out here we are more exposed

Some got it and survived 

others hadn’t and died 

if we all were more careful maybe the results were not so tragic 

update 9 2020 told us to be soooo careful.

if we want to survive we must listen pay attention and obey the GB

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

So vaccinations plus previous exposure to covid gives optimal protection. But, it’s not a good idea to get covid naturally because of the risks involved in having a bad case which leads to ICU or death.

“Those studying hybrid immunity stress that — whatever the potential benefits — the risks of a SARS-CoV-2 infection mean that it should be avoided. “We are not inviting anybody to get infected and then vaccinated to have a good response,” says Finzi. “Because some of them will not make it through.”

But it does give a glimpse into the wonderful way our bodies are made - what a marvellous immune system we have, that does so well even in this imperfect world within our imperfect bodies. Ps 139:14.

Correct information

this is true

2 hours ago, Honeybarrel said:

Has anyone looked at Dr. Peter Doshi editor of the BMJ (British medical journal) addressing a federal board meeting to discuss vaccine reactions with senator Johnson? Couple days ago? Am I the only one who found His pragmatic approach refreshing?. 

Yes I also watched that federal inquiry with senator Ron Johnson taking the lead and it was very informative. There were other professionals and ordinary citizens expressing first hand experience, at times emotional.

I don't see the point of getting involved in these "federal inquiry" type youtube videos.  If you haven't been convinced of the need to use vaccines, then that choice is yours to make.  It feels like this is veering into politics quite frankly.  Do we need to listen to all sides, who have political or commercial agendas?  What has Jehovah told us to do?

1. Obey the superior authorities

2. Stay neutral in world's affairs

Don't lets make this a divisive choice.  Yes, it's a personal choice, but it's not something we need to inflict or persuade others with.  I know we have discussed this ad nauseum here.  But "everyone knows" that this pandemic is real, and there is a proven way to dealing with it and though not 100% effective, it does a decent enough job.  Or you can just wait to get (and spread) covid and hope your immune system handles it.  We all have to bear the consequences of our own decisions.

I have this in mind because all of the above was covered in our local needs part yesterday about having "Pandemic Fatigue".  It's getting harder for us to remain neutral if it affects us personally.  We have to make sure we do not follow the anti-this anti-that issues in our hearts, and just obey Jehovah as ruler rather than men.

The GB's updates throughout this pandemic give us balanced and clear directions.  We can make our choice to obey or not.  But think about what exciting times we are in - we are personally seeing the fulfilment of Bible prophecy!  These anti-anti sentiments are the clay in the feet of Daniel's image.  See them for what they really are, and stay close to the only one who can really fix this, Jehovah ( <- from the local needs part last night).

Please take care my brothers and sisters! 💖

7 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

I don't see the point of getting involved in these "federal inquiry" type youtube videos.  If you haven't been convinced of the need to use vaccines, then that choice is yours to make.  It feels like this is veering into politics quite frankly.  Do we need to listen to all sides, who have political or commercial agendas?  What has Jehovah told us to do?

1. Obey the superior authorities

2. Stay neutral in world's affairs

Don't lets make this a divisive choice.  Yes, it's a personal choice, but it's not something we need to inflict or persuade others with.  I know we have discussed this ad nauseum here.  But "everyone knows" that this pandemic is real, and there is a proven way to dealing with it and though not 100% effective, it does a decent enough job.  Or you can just wait to get (and spread) covid and hope your immune system handles it.  We all have to bear the consequences of our own decisions.

I have this in mind because all of the above was covered in our local needs part yesterday about having "Pandemic Fatigue".  It's getting harder for us to remain neutral if it affects us personally.  We have to make sure we do not follow the anti-this anti-that issues in our hearts, and just obey Jehovah as ruler rather than men.

The GB's updates throughout this pandemic give us balanced and clear directions.  We can make our choice to obey or not.  But think about what exciting times we are in - we are personally seeing the fulfilment of Bible prophecy!  These anti-anti sentiments are the clay in the feet of Daniel's image.  See them for what they really are, and stay close to the only one who can really fix this, Jehovah ( <- from the local needs part last night).

Please take care my brothers and sisters! 💖

I agree with much of what you say 😀

You have included or attached a good few articles that you thought were interesting. Or added your own data (sorry data you have come across  that you think is interesting to inform us). 
This thread does allow discussion does it not? 
I am not telling you what to do at all and in fact neither is the good doctor in the above link.

I also appreciate that many dear ones on this site understand that we don’t all have exactly the same opinion, and we will make different choices. The 5 minute video from the doc only asks the question why are we not even allowed to “ask questions”…….. in case we get labelled “anti” something…(in which case I am definitely NOT 🙂)