JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Vintage photos of Governing Body Members and other things..

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1093 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

19 hours ago, jwhess said:

William Conley was a businessman and banker in Allegheny, PA.  He was a personal friend of CT Russell and his father.  The original "study Group" (or congregation) met in his home.  Later when the organization was growing and they decided to incorporate as a legal entity, he asked Br. Russell to take over because he could not devote full-time to such an enlargement.

whc-5.JPG

His dad wow!

8 hours ago, Patrick Starfish said:

What happened to Malcolm Rutherford? Did he become a Witness? The WOL has no much info about him, except that which is in the jv book.

If he is in the truth and progressed he will be made known in articles. I'm guessing he didn't get to inherit his father's faith :)

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

I have lost some of my historical material in a serious computer crash earlier this year.  So some of my documentation is lost or misplaced.  But there was a debate (like the Russell-Eaton debates) with Br.Rutherford and opposing clergymen.  In that debate, JF Rutherford was assisted by his son, Malcolm.  He said in the report, 'that is was a pleasure to have his son with the Bible and scripture ready each time he needed a quote'. So he continued at Bethel after CT Russell died.

When the move of his family to California came, Malcolm went with his mother.  The reports I found indicated that Malcolm did not retain any "prominence" in the organization after that, but he refused to be manipulated by the opposers of his father. As near as I can tell, he died as an ordinary faithful brother in California.

I was in the same congregation as his mother. I used to go with my father to read to her in her old age. I was a member of the Monrovia Congregation until 1958-1959 (when we moved to Florida.

NOTE:  This is the information I can gather on Malcolm.

Malcolm C. Rutherford

born Nov. 10, 1892, died June 22, 1989

lived in Arcadia, California

Edited by jwhess

add information

This is the "Original" picture...
The other is a photo shop
Made as a joke.

Good job on the photoshop!

I thought it was funny either way. I suspected photoshop, but I was wondering if there may have been a 'behind the scenes' joke running.

That is another thing I enjoy about TV Broadcasts. We get to see how well balanced our responsible brothers are. Not pious or pompous. They can have a joke now and again. But they are wise and display insight when they explain deep truths (like 1914).

Older {waiting for wiser}

8 hours ago, jwhess said:

Here are 3 additional men who played a large role in getting Br. Russell to the point of organizing our Society. 

*** jv chap. 10 p. 124 Growing in Accurate Knowledge of the Truth ***

Henry Grew exposed the Trinity as unscriptural. In 1824 he dealt with this matter at length in An Examination of the Divine Testimony Concerning the Character of the Son of God.

p.45 describes his as “a careful student of the Bible, Henry Grew, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania”

*** w00 10/15 p. 28 Working in the “Field”—Before the Harvest ***

Grew continued zealously preaching until his death on August 8, 1862, in Philadelphia.   He was shown in the video “Out of Darkness”

*** jv chap. 5 p. 45 Proclaiming the Lord’s Return (1870-1914) ***

George Storrs, was publisher of the magazine Bible Examiner, in Brooklyn, New York. Storrs, who was born on December 13, 1796, was initially stimulated to examine what the Bible says about the condition of the dead as a result of reading something published …by a careful student of the Bible, Henry Grew, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

*** w09 8/15 p. 15 par. 15 … Storrs lived in Brooklyn, New York, and edited a magazine called the Bible Examiner.

*** jv chap. 5 p. 46…Storrs died on December 28, 1879, at the age of 83. An announcement of his death appeared in the February 1880 issue of the “Watch Tower,” which said: “We mourn the loss of a friend and brother in Christ yet, ‘not as those who have no hope.’”  He was shown in the video “Out of Darkness”

*** jv chap. 5 p. 46 Proclaiming the Lord’s Return (1870-1914) ***

C. T. Russell gratefully acknowledged the assistance that was given him by George W. Stetson, of Edinboro, Pennsylvania, in studying the Scriptures. Stetson died on October 9, 1879, at the age of 64. The following month the “Watch Tower” carried an announcement of Stetson’s death … Stetson’s dying request was that C. T. Russell preach his funeral sermon; Russell complied with the request. “About twelve hundred persons attended the funeral services,” reported Russell, “thus giving evidence of the high esteem in which our brother was held.”—The “Watch Tower,” November 1879.

*** w00 10/15 p. 30 Working in the “Field”—Before the Harvest ***

The “field” that Jesus described in the parable of the wheat and the weeds was not quite ready to be harvested. (Matthew 13:38) Grew, Storrs, and others were working in the “field” in preparation for the harvest.

The pictures are in order, Grew, Storrs and Stetson

8 hours ago, jwhess said:

Henry_S_Grew.jpg

George_Storrs.jpg

George W. Stetson.jpg

Edited by jwhess

55 minutes ago, jwhess said:

The pictures are in order, Grew, Storrs and Stetson

Henry_S_Grew.jpg

George_Storrs.jpg

George W. Stetson.jpg

John, who was Stetson? Any relationship to the famous hat Co.?

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

You may recall that CT Russell was re-invigorated to take up his Bible study after hearing a basement lecture by the Adventist preacher Jonas Wendell (author of Present Truth-Meat In Due Season).  After hearing him speak Russell began his great career of preaching.  Jonas Wendell was one who moved to new territory and started preaching a fundamental and Adventist type gospel.  When he would start a congregation, he would stay for a few months and then write to George Stetson to come and get them organized and settled.  Usually George would do just that.  George Stetson was also a friend of George Storrs who helped Russell a lot.  

So between these two preachers (Storrs and Wendell) CT Russell became friends with Stetson.  In that Watchtower quoted he explained that he owed a lot to these fore-runners for assistance, research and confidence.  There is no known picture of Jonas Wendell (but I did hear there was a picture of his brother somewhere but I have not located it yet).  Wendell died after preaching a sermon on a chilly day outside.

It is very interesting that Stetson requested Russell to give his funeral discourse.  He trusted him most (1200 came to that talk).

Edit: I added the picture of the brochure Wendell printed since I don't have a photo of the author.

Wendell Present Truth - Copy.jpeg

Edited by jwhess

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2018 at 7:22 PM, carlos said:

No, they didn't have any children. Russell's wife left the Truth and abandoned him in 1897. That's why she's not mentioned often in our publications.

*** w91 10/1 p. 12 par. 18 Trust in Jehovah’s Saving Arm ***
Yet, some have even endured the spiritual loss of a mate, as did Charles T. Russell, the first president of the Watch Tower Society. His wife severed her ties with the Society and abandoned him in 1897, after nearly 18 years of marriage. She filed for legal separation in 1903, and it was issued in 1908.

I love this site! Thank you Brother Carlos! I just read paragraph 18. A faithful sister in my Hall (Hubby was a Presiding Overseer) yes, that far long ago. I think it's depression or I do not know and neither does she. However we both became True Friends (Prov 17:17) as my hubby is 'still upset' or I do not know. Sorry for my rambling. But, the article spoke volume to me. Thank you for your research- so appreciative. I will definitely make this a matter of personal study and share with my 'Spiritual Auntie'.

On 9/19/2018 at 5:48 PM, Pjdriver said:

John, who was Stetson? Any relationship to the famous hat Co.?

John Batterson Stetson not George Stetson as pic above, founded the John B. Stetson Company as a manufacturer of headwear, known simply as Stetson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stetson

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

Sr. Maria Russell separated from Br. CT Russell but she was supported by alimony payments and not left in the lurch so to speak.  Following are excerpts from the brochure The Great Battle in the Ecclesiastical Heavens published by Br. Rutherford in defense of various charges against Russell.

At Br. Russell’s funeral, Maria Russell came and presented flowers (Lily of the Valley I believe) with a ribbon stating for “My Beloved Husband”.

maria.JPG

Edited by jwhess

I am sorry it took so long.  I finally found the published reference about CT Russel's wife.  This is just a brief excerpt and I would encourage any interedted to read the complete material in the yearbook.

*** yb75 pp. 65-68 Part 1—United States of America ***

This, of course, was not the end of C. T. Russell’s trials and difficulties. ... During the trouble in 1894, Mrs. C. T. Russell (the former Maria Frances Ackley, whom Russell had married in 1879) undertook a tour from New York to Chicago, meeting with Bible Students along the way and speaking in her husband’s behalf. …

Mrs. Russell was a director of the Watch Tower Society and served as its secretary and treasurer for some years. She also was a regular contributor to the columns of Zion’s Watch Tower and for a time was an associate editor of the journal. Eventually, she sought a stronger voice in what should be published in the Watch Tower.

What had contributed to this attitude on Mrs. Russell’s part? … I perceived that Mrs. Russell’s active campaign in my defense, and the very cordial reception given her by the dear friends at that time throughout a journey . . . had done her injury by increasing her self-appreciation. . . . Gradually she seemed to reach the conclusion that nothing was just proper for the WATCH TOWER columns except what she had written…

Eventually, though, growing resentment led Mrs. Russell to sever her relationship with the Watch Tower Society and with her husband. Without notice, she separated from him in 1897, after nearly eighteen years of marriage. For almost seven years she lived separately, C. T. Russell providing a separate home for her and also making financial provision for her support. In June 1903 Mrs. Russell filed in the Court of Common Pleas at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, a suit for legal separation. During April 1906 the case came up for trial before Justice Collier and a jury. Nearly two years later, on March 4, 1908, a decree was issued …that Maria F. Russell, and Charles T. Russell be separated from bed and board.” “…This was a legalized separation and there never was an absolute divorce, as some erroneously have held.

What took place at C. T. Russell’s funeral at Pittsburgh in 1916 also is significant along these lines…. “An incident occurred just before the services at Carnegie Hall that refuted lies told in the paper about Brother Russell. The hall was filled … and then a veiled figure was seen to walk up the aisle to the casket and to lay something on it. …—a bunch of lilies of the valley, Brother Russell’s favorite flower. There was a ribbon attached, saying, ‘To My Beloved Husband.’ It was Mrs. Russell. They had never been divorced and this was a public acknowledgment.”

24 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Here are Russell's parents.  Joseph L and Ann Eliza Russell about 1850.  CT Russell was born in 1852.  I have included a picture of him in 1856 at age of 4 years.

Russell's Parents.JPG

Russell-40 age 4.jpg

Do you know if his parents, if they were alive at the time, responded to their son's beliefs?

Edited by Dove

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

18 minutes ago, Dove said:

Do you know if his parents, if they were alive at the time, responded to their son's beliefs?

The documentary video Faith In Action, Part 1, mentions that Brother Russell's father Joseph was part of the original group of brothers who discovered the first glimpses of Bible truth shining in the darkness. Look at the video starting at the 17 minutes 18 second mark.

*** jv chap. 5 p. 42 Proclaiming the Lord’s Return (1870-1914) ***

He was the second son of Joseph L. and Ann Eliza (Birney) Russell, who were Presbyterians of Scottish-Irish descent. Charles’ mother died when he was only nine years old, but from an early age, Charles was influenced by both of his religiously-minded parents. As a later associate of C. T. Russell put it, “they trained the small twig; and it grew in the direction of the Lord.”

[Picture on page 43]

Joseph L. Russell, Charles’ father, was a member of the Allegheny Bible study class and a close associate of his son in the activities of the Watch Tower Society until his death in 1897

j Russell.jpeg

So 1897 must have been a very painful year for Br Russell since he lost his beloved father and it was the same year his  wife chose to leave him.  Anyway I found this work by a researcher that is quite interesting about Maria's funeral.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/12018813/maria-frances-russell

I think it's noteworthy that her funeral was held was officiated  by a Reverant of the Presbyterian church.

Edited by sunshine

5 hours ago, sunshine said:

So 1897 must have been a very painful year for Br Russell since he lost his beloved father and it was the same year his  wife chose to leave him.  Anyway I found this work by a researcher that is quite interesting about Maria's funeral.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/12018813/maria-frances-russell

I think it's noteworthy that her funeral was held was officiated  by a Reverant of the Presbyterian church.

"Also discovered was the home in which Maria Russell lived, 516 14th ave. N. She did, in fact, live with her niece Mabel Packard (deceased 1961 or 1962) who kept the same residence till her death and evidently had no children or other relatives known in the area. Also sharing the home residence was Mabel's husband Richard Packard (deceased in 1950's) and Emma Russell (1855 - 1929) who was Maria's fleshly sister and the widow of Joseph L. Russell, C.T. Russell's father. The four are buried on a "family" plot at the cemetery mentioned in the obit."

Wow! According to this, C.T. Russell married his mother's sister, or aunt, who was only five years younger than his mother and two years older than him. It says his mother's name was Emma, but according to the Proclaimers book, his mother's name was Ann Eliza who died when he was only nine years old. So much for accurate reporting!

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

8 hours ago, minister159 said:

Wow! According to this, C.T. Russell married his mother's sister, or aunt, who was only five years younger than his mother and two years older than him. It says his mother's name was Emma, but according to the Proclaimers book, his mother's name was Ann Eliza who died when he was only nine years old. So much for accurate reporting!

This sounds confusing???

As far as I know, Joseph Lytel Russell was born 4 July 1813. Ann Eliza Birney was born in 1825. They were both were born in Ireland, and emigrated separately to the United States. They married sometime around 1849, and Charles Taze Russell (2nd child) was born Feb.16 1852. Ann Eliza died in 1861 when Charles was 9 years old. His father at this time was 48 years old.

In 1878, after meeting Joseph Russell, Emma Ackley (aged 24) started attending the first Bible study group organised by Charles T Russell (now 26 years old). Soon after, others of her family attended, including Maria Ackley, her older sister (aged 28 years). A relationship quickly developed between Charles and Maria, and they married on March 13 1879. Sometime early in the same year, Joseph Russell (65 years old) married Emma Ackley (25 years old).

Charles is 27 years old , Maria is 29 years old at marriage. It is not clear which of the couples married first in 1879. However,  Emma was step-mother, step-aunt, and sister-in-law, to Charles Taze Ruussell simultaneously. He of course was brother-in-law, step-son and step-nephew to Emma. (I'll leave you work out the relationships of Emma to Maria, and how Joseph fits in.)

Incidentally, Emma's involvement in the Womens Suffrage movement is said to have greatly influenced Maria, creating issues which detrementally effected her relationship with Charles and her involvement with the Bible Students Movement, leading to their separation in 1897, the year of Joseph's death.

Edited by Eoin

11 hours ago, sunshine said:

Indeed that's why it's best to reference the Proclaimers book if possible, rather than other sources as the brothers are careful to check their facts.

Very true Sr. Rosie.  It is unfortunate that not everybody has access to this wonderful publication in their language.  Very few languages in fact.

Edited by jwhess