JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

DISCUSS COURT CASE HERE JW.org - Jehovah’s Witnesses Mobilize Global Response to Threat of Ban in Russia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1546 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

1 minute ago, Bjern said:

Ha, well perhaps he will get a good witness too when he hears in the news about the campaign, remembering that he received one of the letters by accident.

He will probably keep it and think of it as a history-making souvenir :)

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

2 hours ago, Bjern said:

Ha, well perhaps he will get a good witness too when he hears in the news about the campaign, remembering that he received one of the letters by accident.

Another brother and I once jokingly developed this thesis that there's an angel "up there" in the heavenly organization who's responsible for humour and jokes, a sort of rogue angel who is allowed to act freely within the boundaries of Jehovah's sense of humour because of some of the stuff that happens in service or the meetings. I bet Jehovah finds these kinds of things very entertaining.

Another brother and I once jokingly developed this thesis that there's an angel "up there" in the heavenly organization who's responsible for humour and jokes, a sort of rogue angel who is allowed to act freely within the boundaries of Jehovah's sense of humour because of some of the stuff that happens in service or the meetings. I bet Jehovah finds these kinds of things very entertaining.

I like to theorize that angels probably laugh at and with us all day long.

We can send up to and including April 1, right?  "Personal letters should be mailed no later than April 1, 2017".  That means my first day of pioneering will be busy with the pen and licking stamps then a sprint to the PO box.  (Plus we have our Zone visit talk in the morning, nice treat).

On the Royal Mail online postage thingie. What should I choose for President Putin? It's bound to make me start again if I don't choose one. I've had all sorts of silly obstacles.

IMG_2832.thumb.PNG.be7bbd67340973ab4f64039aa4553cff.PNG

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

I overheard someone saying at the meeting today that someone they know who knows someone to do with the postal sorting centre in Moscow told them that they have storage rooms in the sorting centre that are full of our letters and that letters just keep on coming in and they don't know even where to begin with regards to dealing with all of our letters. 

The tsunami wave effect of our letters has just overwhelmed the postal service there apparently. 

Any more a bit more first hand and detailed information would be appreciated by us all though.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

4 minutes ago, MentalProject said:

The tsunami wave effect of our letters has just overwhelmed the postal service there apparently. 

it's less that 10 days since the original information was posted, if they have letters now it will be the first drops of rain for the coming flood...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

it's less that 10 days since the original information was posted, if they have letters now it will be the first drops of rain for the coming flood...

And then it will rain and rain and rain  .. and Putin will send a dove to see if there is any dry land left without any letters ... because the land was covered with letters. :depressed:

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

“. . .Then Jehovah said to his people: “Get up early in the morning and write letters to Putin. Look! He is coming out! And you must say to him, ‘This is what Jehovah has said: “Let my people serve me.  But if you do not let my people serve me, I will send on you, your servants, and your people and into your houses more letters; and the post offices of Russia will be full of letters, and they will even cover the ground they stand on.” paraphrased from Exodus 8:20, 21

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

We have had letter writing campaigns in the past.  So what makes this one different?  What's just been mentioned - the sheer amount of mail that 8 million plus can write in a very short time.  No other government we've written to would have experienced such a magnified united front with the sheer volume.  Then there is social media, which is like wildfire in exchanging news.

The thing is, not even Human Rights courts have changed obstinate Putin's mind.  He cares nought for the displeasure of anyone - the West, and let alone us.  But others everywhere around the world can see so it is a witness to them.  Then, at the end when it is all revealed, they will have to know it was Jehovah behind this.

2 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

But others everywhere around the world can see so it is a witness to them.  Then, at the end when it is all revealed, they will have to know it was Jehovah behind this.

Not all of the letters will be in Russia by April 5th but the big picture is what you said. The world will see and know...

9 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

The thing is, not even Human Rights courts have changed obstinate Putin's mind.  He cares nought for the displeasure of anyone - the West, and let alone us.

I think it will be really interesting to see how this may polarize countries, governments and organizations. It seems the initial reaction from the world population will be outrage over the restriction of freedom of religion, but some will think this is the right thing to do and will applaud Putin. As this continues to develop it could create well defined lines of religious freedom and we'll see where governments, religious leaders and organization truly stand.

5 minutes ago, Thomas Walker said:

Wow, great news report.

Only in German this time (perhaps someone still needs some inspiration)

wie ich mitbekommen habe, ist ein Verfahren in Russland im Gange, welches dazu führen soll, die Zeugen Jehovas in Russland als „extremistisch“ einzustufen und zu verbieten. Dies betrifft 170.000 friedfertige, treue Christen, die im Großen und Ganzen zumeist dadurch auffallen, dass sie eine Botschaft der Hoffnung für die Menschheit und die Erde mit anderen Menschen teilen möchten.

Ein Vorwurf, der Zeugen Jehovas oft gemacht wird und den ich zuletzt auch auf „RT“ mitbekommen habe, ist, dass Zeugen Jehovas angeblich Familien entzweien würden und ihre Mitglieder zwingen würden, all ihr Hab und Gut der Organisation zu übergeben. Bei beiden Aussagen handelt es sich jedoch um Lügen.

Ich kenne in meinem näheren Umfeld viele Beispiele für Familien, die teilweise aus Zeugen Jehovas und teilweise aus Anders- oder Nichtgläubigen bestehen. Natürlich führen unterschiedliche Lebensanschauungen und Ziele im Leben oftmals dazu, dass es in solchen Familien schwierig sein kann, Schnittmengen zu finden, die einem harmonischen  Miteinander dienlich sind. Aber die Bibel sagt uns gemäß 1. Timotheus 5:8 Bestimmt hat jemand, der für die Seinigen und besonders für seine Hausgenossen nicht sorgt, den Glauben verleugnet und ist schlimmer als ein Ungläubiger.“

Somit werden beispielsweise Frauen, die mit einem Anders- oder Nichtgläubigen verheiratet sind, dazu aufgefordert, dennoch treu zu ihren Ehemännern zu stehen und als Christinnen ein hervorragendes Beispiel zu sein.

Was die materiellen Anforderungen betrifft, kann ich Ihnen versichern, dass kein Zeuge Jehovas dazu gezwungen wird, materielle Güter abzutreten über das hinaus, was er entbehren kann. Die Bibel sagt dazu gemäß Matthäus 10:8 „Kostenfrei habt ihr empfangen, kostenfrei gebt“ und gemäß 2. Korinther 9:7 „Jeder tue so, wie er es in seinem Herzen beschlossen hat, nicht widerwillig oder aus Zwang, denn Gott liebt einen fröhlichen Geber.“

Ich persönlich spende 1,4% von meinem monatlichen Nettogehalt. Dies ist weniger, als ich katholische Kirchensteuer zahlen würde, wenn ich getaufter Katholik wäre. Sicherlich gibt es einige, die mehr spenden, aber in vielen Ländern wie Afrika oder auch Russland, könnten sich meine Brüder so einen Betrag nicht leisten.

Sie sehen also, dass es viele Vorwürfe uns gegenüber gibt, die völlig haltlos sind. Daher bitte ich Sie, nicht ohne intensive, objektive Prüfung unserer Glaubensgemeinschaft und des Herzenszustandes meiner Brüder und Schwestern in Russland, diesen Antrag durchgehen zu lassen.

Hochachtungsvoll

Poor english translation ahead:

As I have heard, a process is underway in Russia, which is supposed to lead to the classification Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia as "extremist". This would affect 170,000 peaceful, faithful Christians, who by and large are mostly known for sharing a message of hope for humanity and the earth with other people.

One accusation that is often made towards Jehovah's Witnesses, and which I have recently heard again on "RT", is that Jehovah's Witnesses allegedly divide families and force their members to surrender all their possessions to the organization. Both statements are, however, lies.

I know many examples of families in my own environment, which are made up partly of Jehovah's Witnesses and partly of non-believers or of another conviction. Of course, different life-styles and goals in life can lead to difficulties in finding "common denominators" as it were that benefit to a harmonious family life. But the Bible tells us according to 1 Timothy 5: 8 "Certainly if anyone does not provide for those who are his own, and especially for those who are members of his household, he has disowned the faith and is worse than a person without faith."

Thus, for example, women who are married to a non-believer or somebody of a different belief system are encouraged to be faithful to their husbands and to be an outstanding example as a Christian woman.

As far as the material requirements are concerned, I can assure you that no Jehovah's Witness is forced to surrender material goods beyond what he is able to bear. As the Bible says, according to Matthew 10: 8, "You received free, give free." and according to 2 Corinthians 9: 7 "Let each one do just as he has resolved in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. "

I personally donate 1.4% of my monthly net salary. This is less than I would have to pay Catholic church tax if I were a baptized Catholic in Germany. Surely there are some who donate more, but in many countries like Africa or even Russia, my brothers could not afford such an amount.

So you see that there are many accusations against us, which are completely unfounded. Therefore, I ask you not to go through with this request without first intensively and objectively examining our religious community and the heart condition of my brothers and sisters in Russia.

Sincerely