JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

I am cold and my Bible was taken away from me...Dennis Christensen

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2387 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Court refuses to grant habeas corpus to Danish Jehovahs witness

Article at link below in English

http://www2.stetson.edu/~psteeves/relnews/170622a.html

Its a cruel cruel system......

He complained about the conditions of his detention. The Dane is "in custody" and for him it is "very cold and damp." Since he was not given warm clothing, he has suffered chronic illnesses. "I need professional treatment which I cannot get here [in the SIZO]. Besides, I can take a shower only once a week and the other days I use a bottle. There is no hot water here. They took away my Bible, and I consider that unfair," the Dane explained.

Johan

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

7 hours ago, Thesauron said:

grant habeas corpus

So, what is this?  I can't remember that far back from my school days, so a quick search shows:

Habeas corpus (/ˈheɪbiəs ˈkɔːrpəs/; Medieval Latin meaning literally "that you have the body"[1]) is a recourse in law through which a person can report an unlawful detention or imprisonment to a court and request that the court order the custodian of the person, usually a prison official, to bring the prisoner to court to determine if the detention is lawful.[2]

Article 3 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights provides that "everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person". Article 5 of the European Convention on Human Rights goes further and calls for persons detained to have the right to challenge their detention, providing at article 5.4:

"Everyone who is deprived of his liberty by arrest or detention shall be entitled to take proceedings by which the lawfulness of his detention shall be decided speedily by a court and his release ordered if the detention is not lawful."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habeas_corpus

Habeas Corpus rights in Russia - https://www.loc.gov/law/help/habeas-corpus/russia.php

Habeas corpus means that the police can arrest anyone they think is committing a crime, but after they have interrogated that person they have to either initiate legal actions against him or free him. A person cannot be arrested for longer than a certain time (usually a couple days) unless he has been formally accused of something.

Russian police is not respecting that law.

On 6/25/2017 at 10:01 PM, Bjern said:

They are in opposition to God.

They are, without question, fierce in every sense of the word! Has anyone else noticed that after rendering an unjust decision how quickly these Russian judges leave the courtroom without making eye contact to anyone? Denying audio, denying video, that could incriminate them should these adverse decisions may well reach the ECHR?

On June 21, 2017, the Oryol Regional Court rejected an appeal against the pretrial detention of Dennis Christensen. Mr. Christensen, a Danish citizen, was arrested on May 25, 2017, during a raid by Federal Security Service (FSB) agents and masked and armed police officers for participating in a religious meeting held by Jehovah’s Witnesses.

The Russian Federation Supreme Court recently declared that the legal entities of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Russia are “extremist” and ruled to terminate immediately the activities of the Witnesses’ legal entities. The officers who raided the Witnesses’ religious services on May 25 told the attendees that they would be subject to charges of continuing the activity of an organization liquidated for extremism. The FSB requested a court order to keep Mr. Christensen in pretrial detention until July 23, 2017—although he is a peaceful individual without a criminal record—in order to allow time to build a case against him on extremism charges.

Edited by Omo_Yeme

2 hours ago, Omo_Yeme said:

They are, without question, fierce in every sense of the word! Has anyone else noticed that after rendering an unjust decision how quickly these Russian judges leave the courtroom without making eye contact to anyone? Denying audio, denying video, that could incriminate them should these adverse decisions may well reach the ECHR?

Yeah, I noticed that too. Looks like some of them do feel shame for what they are doing afterall, tho many are very brazen.

On 26/06/2017 at 11:55 AM, carlos said:

Russian police is not respecting that law.

(Ecclesiastes 3:16, 17) And I have further seen under the sun the place of justice where there was wickedness and the place of righteousness where wickedness was. I myself have said in my heart: “The [true] God will judge both the righteous one and the wicked one, for there is a time for every affair and concerning every work there.”

May Jehovah protect him from the cold and from all the rest as well as he protected the 3 Hebrews from the fire !

• 2 months later...

jw-russia.org

In Orel, an appeal against the extension of the arrest of Jehovah's Witness from Denmark is heard

19 September 2017

On September 20, 2017, the Oryol regional court is considering an appeal against the decision of the Sovetsk District Court of the city of Orel to extend the detention of Danish citizen Dennis Christensen for another 4 months. The believer is suspected of continuing the activities of the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses, which was liquidated by the court. Lawyers ask the appellate court to cancel the decision on the extension of the term of imprisonment and elect against Dennis Christensen a preventive measure in the form of a bid bond or house arrest.

The decision to extend the period of detention was made on July 20, 2017 by Judge S. Naumova, the same one who made the initial decision to select a preventive measure in the form of imprisonment against a believer. In fact, when deciding on the extension of the term of detention and establishing the grounds for choosing this measure of restraint, Judge Naumova was to decide whether her own actions on the application of the norms of the Criminal Procedural Code of the Russian Federation, which regulated the order of choosing a preventive measure, were appropriate and sufficient. In other words, she was considering a question about which she had previously made a decision, which is inadmissible in Russian legal proceedings. In accordance with this in the meeting, the judge unsuccessfully declared a challenge.

The court also ignored the defense's arguments about the excessiveness and unreasonableness of such a severe measure of restraint. For example, the meeting examined the extract from the Unified State Register of Legal Entities, as well as the charter of the liquidated organization, which confirm that Dennis Christensen, although a Jehovah's Witness in religion, was not and could not be the founder, member or leader of this registered religious association, and therefore can not be accused of continuing his activities. However, in its judgment, the court did not even mention it and did not evaluate any of the evidence presented by the defense. 

Prayers continuing...

I think of the Apostle Paul asking Timothy (I think it was timothy) to bring him his warm cloak and the (bible) scrolls... we must remember to keep brother Christensen and his family in our prayers.

They will pay for the ill treatment of one of Jehovah's children.  We must all be patient.

Dennis Christensen case postponed for one week: https://jw-russia.org/news/17092110-219.html

In Orel, an appeal hearing on the case of Jehovah's Witness from Denmark will continue on September 28

21/09/2017

On September 20, 2017, after a 4-hour meeting, the Oryol regional court adjourned the appeal hearing in the case of Dane Dennis Christensen, a Jehovah's Witness who is being held in the Eagle SIZO. The reason is that the court of first instance did not pass to the appeal part of the evidence of defense, which was investigated when considering the question of the extension of the guard.

The court of first instance has chosen the most severe measure of restraint, baselessly suggesting that Dennis Christensen may abscond from the investigation and the court, having left abroad. Lawyers point to the redundancy of such a severe measure of restraint. The investigators seized the passport from the believer, so he physically can not leave Russia. The letter of the Danish embassy is attached to the case, which reads: "For humanitarian reasons, the Royal Embassy of Denmark in Moscow in support of the petition ... to replace the preventive measure in the form of detention for another preventive measure gives assurances at the place of demand that the Royal Embassy of Denmark in Moscow will not provide a new passport. Christensen will not contribute to D.O. Christensen to leave the territory of the Russian Federation. "

The believer is suspected of continuing the activities of the organization of Jehovah's Witnesses, which was liquidated by the court. Seeking his full justification, at this stage, lawyers ask the court of appeal to elect against Dennis Christensen a measure of restraint in the form of a bail or house arrest. The appeal hearing will continue at the Orel Regional Court on September 28, 2017 at 14:00.

:confused:

Dennis Christensen stays in prison until November: https://jw-russia.org/news/17092923-223.html

Believer in Orel was left behind bars until at least November 23, 2017

29 September

The appeal for the arrest of the Orel Jehovah's Witness was unsuccessful. On September 28, 2017, the Oryol regional court, after a hearing that took 2 days and lasted 7 hours, left the preventive measure in the form of custody unchanged.

Believer Dennis Christensen was arrested on May 25, 2017 during a joint Bible reading with his fellow believers. The arrest was a direct consequence of the liquidation of the local religious organization of Jehovah's Witnesses in Orel. Although Dennis Christensen was never a founder or a member of this organization, the investigators unreliablly informed the court - and the court did not check it - that he was its "leader." He was unreasonably charged with continuing the activities of the organization, which was liquidated for extremism.

Lawyers insist on the complete innocence of Dennis Christensen. Elimination of the legal entity does not cancel the constitutional right of everyone to freedom of religion. Although Dennis Christensen is a citizen of Denmark, he lives in Oryol with his wife Irina, works in the field of erection construction. He was never a "foreign missionary" and came to Orel for personal reasons, and not at the invitation of any organization.

The court refused to replace the believer in the Orlovsky SIZO for house arrest, even in spite of the official guarantees of the Royal Embassy of Denmark, who for humanitarian reasons gave assurances that he would not provide him with a new passport to replace the one seized by the investigators and would not assist him in traveling outside the Russian Federation .

"I eat a piece of bread and wash from a bottle" The regional court left Christensen in custody until the end of November

Excerpt:

Meeting in the regional court on September 28, traditionally gathered several dozen supporters of Dennis Christensen. He himself was on the air for conference calls. Before the beginning of the process, the husband of the Dane Irina Christensen joined the monitor located on the wall in the courtroom, as well as adepts-jehovists. They tried to encourage the already positive-minded defendant. Christensen, - as always, in a suit over which this time a warm jacket was put on, - cheerfully answered the questions of supporters in Danish, translated - the wife. At some point, the Dane began to sing a melodic song and tap on the table, which caused smiles and laughter gathered.

Incredible!!!

My prayers for he and his wife continues! -_-

Edited by Omoyeme

Thank you sister Sandra for the updated link.

It made me want to cry to think of a member of our family being treated so unjustly but then I noted our Lawyer Brother's words that what happens to Br Christensen will be an example case that set a legal precedent.  The ban was actually ONLY a ban on the Watchtower Society end certain of its literature.  The opposing lawyers argued that they were NOT criminalizing the individual witnesses and that they would be perfectly within their rights to meet together and read the bible (maybe not he NWT but that's another matter).  While the Bethel headquarters were immediately seized the internet is full of journalists visiting kingdom halls AFTER the ban.   So is this a matter of the authorities now being able to accuse any member as being a "leader of the an illegal organization" (The Watchtower & Bible Tract Society) and thus, whether declared or not, criminalizing all the individual Jehovah's Witnesses and effectively making any two witnesses that meet to prayer over a meal or to sing spiritual songs  from memory  criminals.

It seems to me that  the Russian authorities want to protect a semblance of credibility in the international community by declaring they guarantee freedom of religion while at the same time sending a clear message by such arrests that if witnesses do meet together "legally" they run the risk of randomly being accused of being a represtatative of the Watchtower society and  being thrown into prison; in other words :  "It's legal to meet togther except of course its not!"

In any case Brother Christensen has found himself at the center of this issue and I think that whatever the outcome the fine witness of this integrity is being declared worldwide. The superpowers are following what happens to Jehovah's Witnessses in Russia closely, Angela Merkel made that clear, so Brother Christensen's faith is serving a grand purpose. May Jehovah our mighty God bless and keep him and his family safe during this test of faith.

Excerpt from jw.org:

Mr. Christensen’s lawyers filed an application with the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), and on September 4, 2017, the ECHR began its examination of the case by sending a series of questions to Russia concerning the violation of Mr. Christensen’s rights.

Mr. Christensen’s case is receiving international attention because it is one of the first cases since the Soviet era in which Russia has imprisoned a Witness merely for practicing his faith.

An international precedent of the highest magnitude!

Jehovah sure is with him

Most assuredly, it is Jehovah who "driving this chariot" and it is HE that will decide the outcome.

And those "mother russian" authorities won't be able to do anything about it. 

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)