JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW.ORG: 1090 languages and growing!

44 minutes ago, rocket said:

How long do the Brits have to wait for the English Translation?  It is a real mark of humility to see everything in American. 😂

For example:

"Do not look at the wine’s red color" - NWT

"Do not look at the wine’s red colour" - NWT - UK version:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

For example:

OH No, then the Aussies will want their own version....

Luke 1:26..."he said: “Good day, highly favored one"  NWT

Luke 1:28..."G'day mate, ...etcetera..."                          NWT Australian version

use of dedicated funds...🙂

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

For example:

"Loyalty to Jehovah's Organization"-NWT

"Loyalty to Jehovah's Organisation"-NWT- UK English

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

How long do the Brits have to wait for the English Translation?  It is a real mark of humility to see everything in American. 

It might be laughable, but a problem according to the UK branch is that UK children learn to spell words the wrong way. The truth becomes “American.” And sometimes a brit would use other words, I’ve understood. One example is is the cart we use in the ministry. In the UK, it is called trolley. Of course, they put up with these differences. One problem that was raised some years ago, was that they would have to set up a whole translation department. It is not impossible, though. It might happen if the brothers begin to consider it a disruptive problem.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

3 hours ago, Thesauron said:

It might be laughable, but a problem according to the UK branch is that UK children learn to spell words the wrong way. The truth becomes “American.” And sometimes a brit would use other words, I’ve understood. One example is is the cart we use in the ministry. In the UK, it is called trolley. Of course, they put up with these differences. One problem that was raised some years ago, was that they would have to set up a whole translation department. It is not impossible, though. It might happen if the brothers begin to consider it a disruptive problem.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind hearing more British/Australian, etc voices used in our readings and videos.  I LOVED the English brother who read some of the Reference Bible recordings.  It would make things even more interesting. ❤️ 

10 hours ago, Thesauron said:

In the UK, it is called trolley.

Also in Germany. I often have to catch myself and switch when I speak with English speakers in Canada vs. English speakers in Germany. 

Edited by Woanders

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

To be honest, I wouldn't mind hearing more British/Australian, etc voices used in our readings and videos.  I LOVED the English brother who read some of the Reference Bible recordings.  It would make things even more interesting.  

It is not just the dialect, but also the native choice of words that might differ. At least many pidgin english languages get their own publications.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 12/22/2021 at 12:36 PM, Tortuga said:

21 hours ago, rocket said:

Being in Canada (next to the USA), I'm bilingual. I can read both versions of the above with no problem.

2 hours ago, Sheep said:

Being in Canada (next to the USA), I'm bilingual. I can read both versions of the above with no problem.

As an American (USA) grade school child growing up in Canada (British Columbia) I had to endure the taunts of my classmates.  Every day someone would go through the whole teasing routine of making me say the end of the alphabet... saying EX, WYE and ZEE so they could laugh at me.

Decades later, I returned to Victoria, BC with my family for a visit to tour the old homestead.  When we got off the ferry from Port Angeles, Washington, the customs authorities checked us out.  Then they waved us on down the dock to the road to take us up to the city.  As we got to the end of the dock, there was a large, metal sign (nicely painted in gold and blue) which said...Some wonder why we say, EH.  It is so we won't say HUH like Americans.  Welcome to Canada.  To this day I feel the love...💗

Edited by jwhess

On 12/23/2021 at 7:21 AM, rocket said:

Australian version: 

Mateship to Jehovah's Organization - AU version LOL :whistling:

Mateship is an Australian cultural idiom that embodies equality, loyalty and friendship. ... Mateship derives from mate, meaning friend, commonly used in Australia as an amicable form of address.

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

• 3 weeks later...

Mandeali India

Mandeali is a language spoken in northern India, predominantly in the Mandi district of Himachal Pradesh by the people of the Mandi Valley and particularly in the major city of Mandi. 

Naga (Angami) India

The Angamis are a major Naga ethnic group native to the state of Nagaland in North-East India. The Angami Nagas are predominantly settled in Kohima District and Chümoukedima District and Dimapur District of Nagaland and are also recognized as one of the ethnic groups in the state of Manipur.[2] 

• Dages changed the title to JW.ORG: 1090 languages and growing!