JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/20/health/us-covid-deaths-surpass-1918-pandemic/index.html

The US death toll from Covid-19 just surpassed that of the 1918 flu pandemic

Despite all the scientific and medical advances of the past 103 years, the Covid-19 pandemic has now killed more Americans than the 1918 flu pandemic did.

More than 675,000 people in the United States have died from Covid-19, according to Johns Hopkins University. That surpasses the estimated US death toll from the deadliest pandemic of the 20th century.
"If you would have talked to me in 2019, I would have said I'd be surprised," said epidemiologist Stephen Kissler of the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health.
"But if you talked to me in probably April or May 2020, I would say I would not be surprised we'd hit this point."
And people still think it's not real or " it will not effect me "!

The U P of Michigan as of today has a total of 23,303 confirmed cases, 466 deaths.

For Saturday-Monday there were 274 cases or about 91 cases each day.

Alger county went up by 11 to 411 cases. Still only 3 deaths through all this.

The highest county (Marquette), [no surprise here] went up 58 cases for a total of 4,855. 

Hardly anyone wears masks anymore, or keeps 6 feet from others.

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

46 minutes ago, Loopy said:

The U P of Michigan as of today has a total of 23,303 confirmed cases, 466 deaths.

For Saturday-Monday there were 274 cases or about 91 cases each day.

Alger county went up by 11 to 411 cases. Still only 3 deaths through all this.

The highest county (Marquette), [no surprise here] went up 58 cases for a total of 4,855. 

Hardly anyone wears masks anymore, or keeps 6 feet from others.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2021/09/michigan-reports-7185-new-coronavirus-cases-in-3-days-ending-monday-sept-20.html

20 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

Wow! Over 7,000 cases in only 3 days. 

I see us not going anywhere (spiritually speaking that is) for a long, long time. 

35 minutes ago, Loopy said:

Wow! Over 7,000 cases in only 3 days. 

I see us not going anywhere (spiritually speaking that is) for a long, long time. 

What I see, according to Helpful Reminders dated 9-8-21, page 2, under Physical Distancing. We are not going to meet together in person for a while. We need to get use of this.

24 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

What I see, according to Helpful Reminders dated 9-8-21, page 2, under Physical Distancing. We are not going to meet together in person for a while. We need to get use of this.

Actually, myself and a few others in the congregation really like doing meetings and service via Zoom. For many reasons, but especially not having to deal with weather issues, rain, snow, road conditions, but also I find that I got to know the friends even better. 😍

I never did like driving in the dark even tho I only have about 3-4 miles to the K H. ☺️Call me a coward. 

2 minutes ago, Loopy said:

Actually, myself and a few others in the congregation really like doing meetings and service via Zoom. For many reasons, but especially not having to deal with weather issues, rain, snow, road conditions, but also I find that I got to know the friends even better. 😍

I never did like driving in the dark even tho I only have about 3-4 miles to the K H. ☺️Call me a coward. 

To me it is the other way around. Plus, I see friends overtake Zoom discussions in which it is disrespectful. Ecclesiastes 3:7 b

7 minutes ago, Loopy said:

I feel the same as you. I have health issues, and I've coped much better with being able to stay at home on zoom. Especially during the winter. Many brothers and sisters here are saying this has been a real blessing for so many of us. 

1 hour ago, Dustparticle said:

To me it is the other way around. Plus, I see friends overtake Zoom discussions in which it is disrespectful. Ecclesiastes 3:7 b

Well, yes, we have “one” of them too. 😁😁 

But we finally got our coordinator putting us in breakout rooms 😁

Anti-vaxxers in Vancouver delayed an ambulance carrying someone bleeding out from getting to the hospital (msn.com)

Terrible.

I took a walk and came across a Black Lives Matter protest that I hadn't known was happening and they really slowed down an ambulance with it's sirens and lights going.

Edited by JW2017

Expert explains why a combination of Covid-19 vaccines and a mild infection can be so powerful

Getting infected alone does not give the same level of protection as a combination of vaccine and infection, said Prof Ooi.

This is because an infection can turn off some of the body's signals. A vaccine offsets this. Together, they provide both breath and depth against future variants.

There is no way to guarantee that someone who gets infected suffers only a mild illness, rather than a severe one that could end in death.
But Prof Ooi said: "What is happening now is exactly what is needed to become more resilient in safeguarding against new variants.

"That the Delta variant is now spreading in Singapore, but not to the level that results in a large number of severe cases, will serve to produce more robust immunity in our population. I think we should stay the course and not go back to heightened alert or even circuit breaker."

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

So, does this mean that anyone getting covid after being vaccinated have also a higher immunity?

Cause if that’s so, you can see how eventually this will be like getting any other cold/flu virus that our immune system fights now. 

It’s because of it being new that it’s capable of bringing down even the healthiest of us. So with the vaccination and then normal exposure (while following social distance and masks) it will eventually not affect us as bad (in theory). 

In the meantime we have to get to that point. Having it circulating in the population unrestrained results in more chances of mutation that our bodies may not recognise. So that’s why we need the population rapidly vaccinated and restrictions maintained a little longer to starve the virus of hosts. 

However, a lot of people don’t want any restraint and won’t follow health rules for the good of all. It will take a lot to get people united to fight this though, and we can really see how 2Tim 3:1-5 is being fulfilled. 

Edited by hatcheckgirl

Read this yesterday 

Covid could be like common cold by spring say experts as they make winter predictions. 

So what could Covid look like next spring?

Professor Dame Sarah Gilbert, who helped develop the AstraZeneca vaccine, said viruses tend to become weaker as they spread around so after winter we could see a weakened strain of Covid. 

She said: “We normally see that viruses become less virulent as they circulate more easily and there is no reason to think we will have a more virulent version of Sars-CoV-2.

“We tend to see slow genetic drift of the virus and there will be gradual immunity developing in the population as there is to all the other seasonal coronaviruses.”

Seasonal coronaviruses cause colds, and Dame Sarah said: “Eventually Sars-CoV-2 will become one of those."

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-09-23/covid-could-be-like-common-cold-by-spring-as-experts-make-winter-predictions

It’s interesting with this delta strain that people are dying at home without ever having been tested, and the autopsy shows it’s covid that killed them.

The youngest person to die was a man in his 40s from south-west Sydney who passed away at home.

A man in his 50s from Sydney and a woman in her 80s from Sydney’s inner west also died at home. They had not been tested for COVID-19 and were only diagnosed after their deaths.

Head of NSW Health's COVID response branch, Jeremy McAnulty, said that during the Delta outbreak, there had been several people die at home without even knowing they had the virus.

Health Minister Brad Hazzard previously said some people were choosing not to get tested so they did not have to risk taking time off work.

Dr McAnulty said testing was a must.

"If you have mild symptoms, come forward for testing … and, if your condition deteriorates, call your doctor sooner rather than later."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-25/nsw-records-1007-covid19-cases/100491290

30 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Health Minister Brad Hazzard previously said some people were choosing not to get tested so they did not have to risk taking time off work.

Dr McAnulty said testing was a must.

"If you have mild symptoms, come forward for testing … and, if your condition deteriorates, call your doctor sooner rather than later."

Could this be due to a persons oxygen levels dropping below normal without even being short of breath?

That could be why every household in Singapore was given an oximeter to make sure our oxygen levels do not drop below 95%.

Oxygen levels below 95% ?

My resting O2 is between 80 and 85% and I may not be asleep.

My resting heart rate is between 40 and 55 per minute. I have seen it at 38 beats with me awake.

The joys of being  ill in this system. I don't have covid.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

2 minutes ago, pnutts said:

Oxygen levels below 95% ?

My resting O2 is between 80 and 85% and I may not be asleep.

My resting heart rate is between 40 and 55 per minute. I have seen it at 38 beats with me awake.

The joys of being  ill in this system. I don't have covid.

Has such low O2 levels and low pulse rate been normal all your life? Or is it due to some illness.