JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

28 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Is it? I’ve not read anything like that. Some have felt it’s a conspiracy for pharmaceutical companies who are producing the vaccines to make money. But logically, we use the products of pharmaceutical companies everywhere. Would you have an operation without anaesthesia? Have you had a filling at the dentist? Maybe bought processed food from the supermarket or fast food place?

Pharmaceutical companies are part of the commercial system we live in. Keeping this thought in balance (neither wrong or right, because though they’ve been failures, they also make life easier and safer) will help us to “keep calm”. 

I'm just living in reality. Greed and collusion happens all the time. That's not a conspiracy theory.

Also, I don't know why people think this virus is going away. It's not. There has never been a successful vaccine against coronaviruses because of the way it mutates. It's spread to far and wise for it to really be stopped. They will be pushing multiple shots for a long time coming, and I'm concerned about the long term effect of that.

I'm trying to keep a level head, and I stated in the Update #8 thread that I found the branch findings to be very comforting, but there is still a lingering worry for me. Now Fauci is saying 3 shots are going to be necessary. Who's to say it won't be more? 

And to think, this all started with 2 weeks to stop the spread. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.deseret.com/platform/amp/coronavirus/2021/10/1/22704400/dr-fauci-covid-shots-how-many-do-you-need

Edited by runner92

4 minutes ago, runner92 said:

I'm trying to keep a level head

I'm glad the update helped settle your thoughts 💖.  And I do understand, it's not possible to have an surety with anything in this system.  But, instead of being suspicious of the motivations of pharmaceutical companies and their push for boosters, think about the facts we already know about coronaviruses:

"for the other human coronaviruses, the vast majority of infections are either asymptomatic or at worst a mild cold. The signs are there to suggest that COVID-19 may end up being the same."

"Yes, emerging research (still in preprint, and so awaiting review by other scientists) does suggest that immune protection against developing symptomatic COVID-19 appears to wane. However, protection against severe disease – generated either by immunisation or natural infection – is much longer lasting. It also doesn’t appear to be lost when facing new variants."

https://theconversation.com/how-will-the-covid-pandemic-end-167244

2 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

I'm glad the update helped settle your thoughts 💖.  And I do understand, it's not possible to have an surety with anything in this system.  But, instead of being suspicious of the motivations of pharmaceutical companies and their push for boosters, think about the facts we already know about coronaviruses:

"for the other human coronaviruses, the vast majority of infections are either asymptomatic or at worst a mild cold. The signs are there to suggest that COVID-19 may end up being the same."

"Yes, emerging research (still in preprint, and so awaiting review by other scientists) does suggest that immune protection against developing symptomatic COVID-19 appears to wane. However, protection against severe disease – generated either by immunisation or natural infection – is much longer lasting. It also doesn’t appear to be lost when facing new variants."

https://theconversation.com/how-will-the-covid-pandemic-end-167244

So if it's going to end up like a mild cold, why is the Pfizer head talking about yearly shots now? Since when do we take yearly cold shots? I'm really struggling to understand how that adds up. It seems they say one thing out of one side of their mouth then another out the other side. 

This is why I'm still on the wait and see approach. 

9 minutes ago, runner92 said:

So if it's going to end up like a mild cold, why is the Pfizer head talking about yearly shots now?

It may be necessary for some to have boosters.  At this stage, it is still a long way for this disease to be like a mild cold.  Scientists and medical researchers know that as our collective immunity builds up, these sort of diseases become less lethal to healthy people.  So, maybe the booster will be necessary to help us get there.

"Virtually everyone who has not been vaccinated is likely to catch the virus. When infected, they will be as much at risk of severe disease and death (depending on their age and medical status) as at any time during the pandemic." (From the above article https://theconversation.com/how-will-the-covid-pandemic-end-167244 ).

This is the stark facts about choosing not to be vaccinated.  The countries with high incidence of community transmission and high vaccinations will fare the best - "Among those with prior immunity, it’s been shown that COVID-19 tends to be less severe. And as more people’s immunity is boosted over time by natural reinfections or booster immunisations, we can expect an increasing proportion of new infections to be asymptomatic or at worst cause mild illness. The virus will remain with us, but the disease will become part of our history."

So, I can only add to what has been said in Update #8 - look at the evidence, and then you will see what you need to do.  I know we can only do so much to protect ourselves.  The rest we leave to our God who cares very much for us.

Edited by hatcheckgirl

11 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

It may be necessary for some to have boosters.  At this stage, it is still a long way for this disease to be like a mild cold.  Scientists and medical researchers know that as our collective immunity builds up, these sort of diseases become less lethal to healthy people.  So, maybe the booster will be necessary to help us get there.

"Virtually everyone who has not been vaccinated is likely to catch the virus. When infected, they will be as much at risk of severe disease and death (depending on their age and medical status) as at any time during the pandemic." (From the above article https://theconversation.com/how-will-the-covid-pandemic-end-167244 ).

This is the stark facts about choosing not to be vaccinated.  The countries with high incidence of community transmission and high vaccinations will fare the best - "Among those with prior immunity, it’s been shown that COVID-19 tends to be less severe. And as more people’s immunity is boosted over time by natural reinfections or booster immunisations, we can expect an increasing proportion of new infections to be asymptomatic or at worst cause mild illness. The virus will remain with us, but the disease will become part of our history."

So, I can only add to what has been said in Update #8 - look at the evidence, and then you will see what you need to do.  I know we can only do so much to protect ourselves.  The rest we leave to our God who cares very much for us.

Look, at this point, if you're comfortable enough to take all the shots they give, take them. Fortunately, I don't need to leave my house, so I won't be doing much for the foreseeable future. I work from home. I do grocery pickup. And that's OK. I'll wait for it to get to cold like levels if I have to. I'm just not comfortable injecting this into me at this time, and I'd rather wait and see what happens down the road with these shots. I feel this was all very rushed, which is why we need boosters so quickly. That's not normal for a vaccine. But again, if you're comfortable, take the shots.

Edited by runner92

11 hours ago, runner92 said:

So if it's going to end up like a mild cold, why is the Pfizer head talking about yearly shots now?

For one, mild colds typically do not kill 4.8 million people in 18 months.  Some people mistakenly claim covid is "just the flu" or that covid numbers are being inflated by Influenza deaths.  That doesn't match reality. 61,000 people in the US died of the flu in the 2017-2018 flu season.  Even if this was "just a flu" the numbers show its far deadlier than a typical flu. 

For another, we already have an annual Influenza booster shot. Alis an annual pneumonia booster. Annual boosters are common.  If the complaints about a yearly covid booster have a legitimate basis, then why haven't we seen the same level of complaint or protest over annual flu or pneumonia boosters? 

In all fairness, I'm not eager to rush to get the covid19 booster.  I've been vaccinated, but the consensus is out in regards the covid booster. Once there is more data on the necessity of a covid booster, I might get it.  Right now, though, I'll wait. 

3 minutes ago, runner92 said:

Look, at this point, if you're comfortable enough to take all the shots they give, take it. Fortunately, I don't need to leave my house, so I won't be doing much for the foreseeable future. I work from home. I do grocery pickup. And that's OK. I'll wait for it to get to cold like levels if I have to. I'm just not comfortable injecting this into me at this time, and I'd rather wait and see what happens down the road with these shots. I feel this was all very rushed, which is why we need boosters so quickly. That's not normal for a vaccine. But again, if you're comfortable, take the shot.

Your thoughts are well respected sis. Down the line you might be out in the world and taking care of daily tasks. Regarding rushing these shots. I would not rush into this too. It took about year to have medicine that was right for the virus. I think this is good for most of us. Yes, I probably need a booster shot too, yet I take flu shots every year for my and others safety. Yes, taking shots for COVID-19 might be the norm as flu shots. We have to wait and see.

One suggestion is, watch the GB #8 update. It might help you to make a clearer decision regarding taking shot or not. Brother Lett put out some good numbers sis. I hope this help you.

1 minute ago, Dustparticle said:

Your thoughts are well respected sis. Down the line you might be out in the world and taking care of daily tasks. Regarding rushing these shots. I would not rush into this too. It took about year to have medicine that was right for the virus. I think this is good for most of us. Yes, I probably need a booster shot too, yet I take flu shots every year for my and others safety. Yes, taking shots for COVID-19 might be the norm as flu shots. We have to wait and see.

One suggestion is, watch the GB #8 update. It might help you to make a clearer decision regarding taking shot or not. Brother Lett put out some good numbers sis. I hope this help you.

As I stated above, I watched the update. While it's comforting, I'm still very concerned. If it gets to the point where I have no choice in the matter, I'll take it. However, right now, I will continue to wait. 

9 minutes ago, runner92 said:

I'm just not comfortable injecting this into me at this time, and I'd rather wait and see what happens down the road with these shots.

And that's fine. That's great. That is your decision. We respect your decision.  No one is going to force you to receive the vaccine. 

However, it should be clear that on such a divisive and sensitive topic as this is, the pro and con discussion of the vaccine is going to continue until we all decide to live and let live. Right now anytime there is an anti vaccine comment, someone feels like they must make a pro vaccine counterpoint.  Anytime someone makes a pro vaccine point, someone feels compelled to make an anti vaccine rebuttal. 

We go round and round without actually getting anywhere 

6 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

For one, mild colds typically do not kill 4.8 million people in 18 months.  Some people mistakenly claim covid is "just the flu" or that covid numbers are being inflated by Influenza deaths.  That doesn't match reality. 61,000 people in the US died of the flu in the 2017-2018 flu season.  Even if this was "just a flu" the numbers show its far deadlier than a typical flu. 

For another, we already have an annual Influenza booster shot. Alis an annual pneumonia booster. Annual boosters are common.  If the complaints about a yearly covid booster have a legitimate basis, then why haven't we seen the same level of complaint or protest over annual flu or pneumonia boosters? 

In all fairness, I'm not eager to rush to get the covid19 booster.  I've been vaccinated, but the consensus is out in regards the covid booster. Once there is more data on the necessity of a covid booster, I might get it.  Right now, though, I'll wait. 

I never said it was a cold nor the flu at this time. However, this is more than likely how this will end up. This is how viruses that spread like this end up. I understand the virus is serious. I haven't been inside a building since April 2020. I mask up when ever I might have to be around people. I'm just not comfortable with the shot right now. 

Well, I just learned a man past away from COVID this morning. He was not a witness, but his mom was a dear sister. 

someone said this morning that he was helping an elderly man. Anyway, this man wanted to go to their local pub. ( Very small village in Alger county ). Dan didn’t want to go because that place was like a COVID carrier.

Anyway Dan brought the guy and a couple weeks later tested positive. Lost his life today. ☹️

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

2 hours ago, runner92 said:

I never said it was a cold nor the flu at this time. However, this is more than likely how this will end up. This is how viruses that spread like this end up. 

I understand where you are coming from.  The Spanish Flu was H1N1.  It was a pandemic 100 years ago but has become endemic, or part of the background today 

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:

And that's fine. That's great. That is your decision. We respect your decision.  No one is going to force you to receive the vaccine. 

However, it should be clear that on such a divisive and sensitive topic as this is, the pro and con discussion of the vaccine is going to continue until we all decide to live and let live. Right now anytime there is an anti vaccine comment, someone feels like they must make a pro vaccine counterpoint.  Anytime someone makes a pro vaccine point, someone feels compelled to make an anti vaccine rebuttal. 

We go round and round without actually getting anywhere 

Nice words Bro Shawn. 

With this 318+ seemingly never ending topic - which is like to me - a tennis match or table tennis match that goes on and on. 

I would like to plead a time out on the volleys and think about this principle (not a biblical law) while we may have a cool sip of water in this match. 

pr 17 9.jpg

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

1 hour ago, AH173 said:

Nice words Bro Shawn. 

With this 318+ seemingly never ending topic - which is like to me - a tennis match or table tennis match that goes on and on. 

I would like to plead a time out on the volleys and think about this principle (not a biblical law) while we may have a cool sip of water in this match. 

pr 17 9.jpg

Edited by Mykyl

It seems there is a two-month surge to the outbreaks, according to the pattern thus far around the world.  Cases rose from late February to late April, then fell until late June.  Rose again until late August and have been falling since.  It's a bit of a mystery as to why, to the epidemiologists; it's not dependent on the seasons or changes in human behavior.  We haven't seen a massive uptick, despite the fact that millions of kids are back in school.

There have been exceptions to this pattern - Britain is one.  But it's encouraging, in general.  We'll see what November-December brings!

2 hours ago, Hope said:

It seems there is a two-month surge to the outbreaks, according to the pattern thus far around the world.  Cases rose from late February to late April, then fell until late June.  Rose again until late August and have been falling since.  It's a bit of a mystery as to why, to the epidemiologists; it's not dependent on the seasons or changes in human behavior.  We haven't seen a massive uptick, despite the fact that millions of kids are back in school.

There have been exceptions to this pattern - Britain is one.  But it's encouraging, in general.  We'll see what November-December brings!

Exactly, I’d like to understand it one day. Why is it behaving like that. 

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

I guess this grandma's church friends meant well but they believed the wrong thing.

Grandma hospitalised after taking ivermectin for Covid-19
She did so on advice of church friends, who told her to avoid mRNA vaccines as they were 'against God's will'

A retiree has been hospitalised after taking a drug meant to treat parasite infestations, on the urging of church friends, to protect herself from Covid-19.

Madam Wong Lee Tak, 65, had taken four 3mg tablets of ivermectin over two days. She became ill last Friday, believed to be her second day of taking the prescription drug.

Parish priest Edward Lim from the Church of the Risen Christ said on Facebook the church was aware that one of its parishioners had been hospitalised after ingesting ivermectin on the advice of some church friends.

I don't know if this has been posted or not.  But apparently more than a few religious people believe that the Covid vaccine is the mark of the beast in Revelation.  COVID vaccine the mark of the beast? What the Book of Revelation says (usatoday.com)

Also on a different note.  I thought it was interesting that my Family Doctor's office has a sign saying that they will not be writing exemptions because they want to keep people alive and vaccines are safe.  I don't remember what else the sign says.  But he and the Nurse Practitioners that work there don't seem to have lost many patients they're still very booked with appointments. (My Family Doctor owns the practice)

Edited by JW2017

1 hour ago, JW2017 said:

I don't know if this has been posted or not.  But apparently more than a few religious people believe that the Covid vaccine is the mark of the beast in Revelation.  COVID vaccine the mark of the beast? What the Book of Revelation says (usatoday.com)

That is some serious foolishness... :D