JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

4 hours ago, AH173 said:

It would be nice if branch has a contingency for situations like this. 

All of the letters read in our area mention that the congregation elders can provide a link to a prerecorded Assembly. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/08/investing/stock-dow-futures-coronavirus/index.html

Global stocks plunge as oil crashes and coronavirus fear spreads

Hong Kong/New York/London (CNN Business)Global markets are plunging after the implosion of an alliance between OPEC and Russia caused the worst one-day crash in crude prices in nearly 30 years, fueling panic triggered by the escalation of the coronavirus epidemic.

The S&P 500 (SPX) opened 6.9% lower. The Dow (INDU) fell more than 1,800 points, or about 7.1%. The Nasdaq Composite (COMP) was down 7.1%.
Lots of things coming together to cause this to happen, the virus is starting to cause panic yet still no declare of a pandemic!

2020-03-07_12h49_22.png

Just now, Lee49 said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/08/investing/stock-dow-futures-coronavirus/index.html

Hong Kong/New York/London (CNN Business)Global markets are plunging after the implosion of an alliance between OPEC and Russia caused the worst one-day crash in crude prices in nearly 30 years, fueling panic triggered by the escalation of the coronavirus epidemic.

The S&P 500 (SPX) opened 6.9% lower. The Dow (INDU) fell more than 1,800 points, or about 7.1%. The Nasdaq Composite (COMP) was down 7.1%.
Lots of things coming together to cause this to happen, the virus is starting to cause panic yet still no declare of a pandemic!

2020-03-07_12h49_22.png

...they need money soon....and we know where they can get it...

The S&P 500 (SPX) opened 6.9% lower. The Dow (INDU) fell more than 1,800 points, or about 7.1%. The Nasdaq Composite (COMP) was down 7.1%. Lots of things coming together to cause this to happen, the virus is starting to cause panic yet still no declare of a pandemic!    2020-03-07_12h49_22.png.f988623c54f82cf7ce38811177723144.png

Circuit Breakers kicked in at NYSE ...trading halted!

It takes a certain amount of courage to be on service right now,  small car groups to say nothing of the fact that we've had some less than favorable reactions at the door this week....

May we all remain strong and trust in Jehovah 

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

4 minutes ago, Tbs77 said:

Circuit Breakers kicked in at NYSE ...trading halted!

Temporarily halted futures trading Sunday night, NYSE is currently open for trades.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

A local sister has a management position in the US Postal Service and she told me that all of the mail and packages from China are still being help in a quarantine area. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/09/health/coronavirus-pandemic-gupta/index.html

Why CNN is calling the novel coronavirus outbreak a pandemic

"Starting today, you will notice that CNN is using the term pandemic to describe the current coronavirus outbreak. It is not a decision we take lightly. While we know it sounds alarming, it should not cause panic."

Why do you think the government resisted using the big P word?

4 hours ago, Dustparticle said:

Big Businesses it trying to protect themselves: http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/event201/

Thanks for the link.  Amazing video from Event 201 simulated global pandemic exercise held October 18, 2019-- just four short months ago.  Watching it is like watching the nightly news...and even seeing how this current coronavirus event will play out in the coming days and months.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

1 hour ago, Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual said:

I’m sorry if I gave a wrong impression but it’s true that it’s being heard in my area that a few brothers and sisters had already gotten it. 

just not someone I know so out of my authority

Thank you for clearing this up.  

Since you are sharing unverified information (you heard from a person who heard from a person who heard...) we want you to review our forum policy.

F. Unverified Experiences & Sensational Stories

The October 1999 Our Kingdom Ministry says: “What if the experience you pass on is not accurate? Would this not be sharing in perpetuating an untruth?” - (Proverbs. 12:19; 21:28; 30:8; Colossians 3:9)

Be mindful of sensational stories or experiences that you cannot verify. This becomes a problem from time to time. It’s a chore for moderators to read extremely long ones, and likely someone will point out what they feel is ridiculously sensational and unrealistic and publicly state why they find it too difficult to believe some facet of this incredulous story. It's important to protect the gullible for believing everything he or she reads. If the story or experience is legitimate, OR truly encouraging yet not overly far-fetched, we’ll probably let it go. Just remember that spamming us with such tall tales, email forwards, or similar content circulating social networks is not the purpose of our community.

Generally speaking, links to experiences about our brothers should not be posted unless they are first-hand accounts and we personally know the writer or we can testify to the veracity of the account/writer.

Friends, we're seeing an increase in fake news and the sharing of these unverified stories.  This leads to panic.  Some of our members here are not discerning and they will blindly accept as truth anything they read on here and they trust completely because we are all Witnesses.  It is damaging to our fellow members to share wild stories, false accounts, and fake news.  Prayerfully consider the October 1999 Kingdom Ministry and the cited scriptures above.

If unverified accounts, wild stories, and fake news are continued to be shared, we will issue warning points.  

7 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

"Starting today, you will notice that CNN is using the term pandemic to describe the current coronavirus outbreak. It is not a decision we take lightly. While we know it sounds alarming, it should not cause panic."

According to WHO, it will cause countries to think it is too late to try to slow or stop the spread, so they will not keep trying to prevent it.  

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

24 minutes ago, Bro Richard said:

All of the letters read in our area mention that the congregation elders can provide a link to a prerecorded Assembly. 

I take it that is only contingency then. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

1 hour ago, Lee49 said:

From an NPR interview with the World Health Organization: 

TEDROS ADHANOM GHEBREYESUS: "I have spoken consistently about the need for facts, not fear. Using the word pandemic now does not fit the facts, but it may certainly cause fear. This is not the time to focus on what word we use. That will not prevent a single infection today or save a single life today."

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/25/809182758/why-is-the-who-not-calling-the-coronavirus-a-pandemic

I have even noticed some people in the cong starting to act freaked about by those who wear masks just to prevent getting sick at the meetings.... I think now would be a good time for everyone to take a deep breath. It's good to be cautious, but it's gonna be sad if we start turning on each other out of fear.     

We just got  a call from an elder because apparently there has been an outbreak about 3 hours from here. And some at our hall do go there so they may have been exposed. Thus, no handshaking, hugging, kissing, etc. If you have any symptoms immediately contact your dr, stay home, do not attend meetings and do not participate in the ministry or cart work.    We're awaiting news from the branch on our upcoming Assembly, as it was due to be held in that city.    So now I'm pndering over what will happen to our Memorial and Convention (The Memorial is typically held in a closer city but the conventions are held in another State where they've had 2 cases...)

Edited by cricket246

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

2 minutes ago, cricket246 said:

I have even noticed some people in the cong starting to act freaked about by those who wear masks just to prevent getting sick at the meetings.... I think now would be a good time for everyone to take a deep breath. It's good to be cautious, but it's gonna be sad if we start turning on each other out of fear.     

We just got  a call from an elder because apparently there has been an outbreak about 3 hours from here. And some at our hall do go there so they may have been exposed. Thus, no handshaking, hugging, kissing, etc. If you have any symptoms immediately contact your dr, stay home, do not attend meetings and do not participate in the ministry or cart work.    We're awaiting news from the branch on our upcoming Assembly, as it was due to be held in that city.    So now I'm pndering over what will happen to our Memorial and Convention (The Memorial is typically held in a closer city but the conventions are held in another State where they've had 2 cases...)

It is worth reiterating: wearing a mask will NOT prevent contracting COVID.  Wearing a mask is only useful in preventing the spread of COVID once you already have it.  Ones who are wearing masks should just self quarantine at home: in either case. 

1 hour ago, Barbllm said:

From an NPR interview with the World Health Organization: 

TEDROS ADHANOM GHEBREYESUS: "I have spoken consistently about the need for facts, not fear. Using the word pandemic now does not fit the facts, but it may certainly cause fear. This is not the time to focus on what word we use. That will not prevent a single infection today or save a single life today."

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/25/809182758/why-is-the-who-not-calling-the-coronavirus-a-pandemic

They're playing games. I think the whole media is. Like they're talking out of both sides of their mouth, telling people to stay calm and then putting out headlines that will definitely make people panic. They had no problem labeling H1N1, Zika and all those other illnesses pandemics yet don't want to label this one. Mind games. All of it.

I don't know what to believe when it comes to this virus anymore. 

Edited by runner92

1 minute ago, runner92 said:

They're playing games. I think the whole media is. Like they're talking out of both sides of their mouth, telling people to stay calm and then putting out headlines that will definitely make people panic. They had no problem labeling H1N1, Zika and all those other illnesses pandemics.

I don't know what to believe when it comes to this virus anymore. 

If there is nothing on Broadcast, then be calm.  It is just another virus.  This one is televised because it is worldwide.  We should expect "pestilence" because its one of the many signs of the end.

Temporarily halted futures trading Sunday night, NYSE is currently open for trades.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/rout-u-stock-futures-trigger-221631295.html

Something happened four minutes into the Monday morning session:

Scary as Monday’s start to U.S. stock trading was, the halt that it triggered looks to have done its job, at least for now.

The S&P 500 plunged 7% four minutes into the session, tripping a NYSE circuit breaker aimed at preventing a broader panic. After trading resumed, the index dipped just a bit more, then quickly pared losses to trade about 5.5% lower as of mid-morning in New York.

1 minute ago, Tbs77 said:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/rout-u-stock-futures-trigger-221631295.html

Something happened four minutes into the Monday morning session:

Scary as Monday’s start to U.S. stock trading was, the halt that it triggered looks to have done its job, at least for now.

The S&P 500 plunged 7% four minutes into the session, tripping a NYSE circuit breaker aimed at preventing a broader panic. After trading resumed, the index dipped just a bit more, then quickly pared losses to trade about 5.5% lower as of mid-morning in New York.

We all know that the 3 legged stool of Satan's system would tumble.  Religion, commercial and politics.  His system is coming to a close.

6 hours ago, JennyM said:

Our CA was moved to April, but we still don't know if its going to be push through. 

Our CA here in the UP of Michigan is April 26. 

A sister tells me today that there’s already thoughts about streaming so those that are uncomfortable about meeting in a group like this can remain at home. So I’ll take that as a possible rumor and maybe not mention it to anyone else. 

We have a brother in his 90’s and his elderly wife. But he’s as hard as nails, he’d probably go anyway. 😁 

I like the reminders which friends should know anyway (no brained) about if your sick or not feeling well, stay home and listen in.

I remember some time back we had a CO visit. A sister came and barked the whole meeting. I don’t know about anyone else but I wasn’t happy about it.

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”