JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Zoom, Skype Technical Q&A here:

1 hour ago, The German said:

You're right. The branch expects all meeting organizers to block the participants' profile pictures. See ZoominstE-5/20 account settings (40).

I thought the instructions said to remove "objectionable" photos...those not appropriate to the meeting (dress, grooming logos and so on).Bethel and LDC type photos were OK, after all they are displayed on Organizations apps and other meetings.

2 hours ago, Bro Richard said:

You don't need to remove your picture. When the brothers set up the Zoom meeting it blocks the profile pictures. Your profile picture will still show up any other time that you use Zoom.

Thanks Richard:D

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

On 6/15/2020 at 8:50 PM, SUNRAY said:

Can someone help me? I created a Zoom account for our Samsung devices so that I could display a photo of my husband and me for when we turned off our video camera. The problem is that when I turn the video camera back on, we are not seen..only a grey screen. The account is a basic one. Appreciate any help...CO visit is tomorrow night!

I found out why my screen was grey when I turned on my video camera!!! I feel SO stupid! I had a tiny  piece of duct tape over the front facing camera lens for privacy! You never know who is watching..haha!! Sorry to bother all of you who are very smart about technology!!!!:yawning:

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

1 hour ago, SUNRAY said:

I found out why my screen was grey when I turned on my video camera!!! I feel SO stupid! I had a tiny  piece of duct tape over the front facing camera lens for privacy! You never know who is watching..haha!! Sorry to bother all of you who are very smart about technology!!!!:yawning:

I should have said something earlier.  I put a folded piece of paper over my webcam when I don't use it (on my desktop PC).  If I forget to take it off when joining, it shows a gray screen.  Sorry, I should have remembered earlier...❤️

Problem with Ipad and the latest Zoom update.

Apologies if this was brought up before. A Elderly (she was a child during WW2) call who's attending some meetings uses Zoom on her Iphone and Ipad. With the recent Zoom update the Iphone works fine but she can't update the Ipad. She's been asked to do things like changing passwords with no joy and the latest message she got "There was a problem please try again later". Her Ipad is, she thinks, 3 or 4 years old, it may be 5 years. (A son who lives abroad brought it for her husband who had just died when we first met her which was maybe 3 years ago, but it may not have been new).

So, could the problem be the Ipad being old or is it more likely to just be a software issue? I only use Android so I know nothing. BTW, I have suggested she uninstalls and reinstalls Zoom but I don't know how tech lit she is. With her age and my working in a shop there's an understandable issue with my touching her Ipad, she doesn't seem keen on showing it to me although I did offer to look at it once.

Any and all suggestions will be gratefully accepted. Thanks in advance.  

For the past few weeks, I've been trying to upgrade our Zoom plan from Monthly to Annual (of course, with a discount they keep offering). I keep having unexplained phenomena and errors trying to even access the section of the website to buy a license, it will redirect me to the page showing our current billing. When I have managed to access the page to buy a pro license, I haven't been able to switch from Monthly to Annual. Now today, the last day of the license when it's supposed to renew, I can access the change to annual, but I get an error every time that I try to process the purchase. They tell me to call or email billing. Well, I tried calling tech support a week ago, but they're only taking business customers. Billing may be different I suppose, but they're closed for the weekend and this is the first day I've gotten it to load this far. We left a ticket with tech support over a week ago, no reponse as of yet. I mean, I understand why they can't keep up and their website is a mess, but I've been trying to get this to work for 2 hours this morning already and I barely slept and I'm sick of it. Not sure what to do besides pray.

4 hours ago, Myew said:

For the past few weeks, I've been trying to upgrade our Zoom plan from Monthly to Annual (of course, with a discount they keep offering). I keep having unexplained phenomena and errors trying to even access the section of the website to buy a license, it will redirect me to the page showing our current billing. When I have managed to access the page to buy a pro license, I haven't been able to switch from Monthly to Annual. Now today, the last day of the license when it's supposed to renew, I can access the change to annual, but I get an error every time that I try to process the purchase. They tell me to call or email billing. Well, I tried calling tech support a week ago, but they're only taking business customers. Billing may be different I suppose, but they're closed for the weekend and this is the first day I've gotten it to load this far. We left a ticket with tech support over a week ago, no reponse as of yet. I mean, I understand why they can't keep up and their website is a mess, but I've been trying to get this to work for 2 hours this morning already and I barely slept and I'm sick of it. Not sure what to do besides pray.

I still have a billing troubleshooting ticket with them for 3 months and all I get is the notice that I am in the que.  Fortunately My proble was "double-billing" for monthly and annual service.

Any one have any experience using breakout rooms for smaller groups of association before and after meetings? 

Is there a way to randomly assign participants to a group? If so, please could you assist on how to do this. Thanks. 

40 minutes ago, LuGover17 said:

Any one have any experience using breakout rooms for smaller groups of association before and after meetings? 

Is there a way to randomly assign participants to a group? If so, please could you assist on how to do this. Thanks. 

Break-out rooms are very easy to use.There is a good training video on Zoom.us.

What you need is some practice. It is best to invite 2 friends to a private zoom conference and practice.

The host can trigger it and visit any room.

We always use break-out rooms.Always in random mode.

After the meetings: 4 devices for 4 minutes each - as often as we enjoy it.

During the ministry meetings: 4 devices per room for 30 minutes to write letters together.

As often as we want it.

The Breakout room button (Bottom right) has a random mode. Just select how many rooms you want. It will automatically do all the rest. It will prompt each user to join the room. They can accept, or leave the meeting.
As host you just watch the screen. You see who logs into the rooms. Sometimes there is only one person in a room. So you can move them to another room. You can pop into a room if you want to say hello.
The first time will be a little learning curve. The next time will be super easy!

Old (Downunder) Tone

The best way I have found using Zoom is with a Windows PC. Since my processor is an Intel I-7 my gallery view has 49 thumbnails displayed and because my Dell Monitor's screen resolution is 2560 x 1440 their size excellent.

Besides the space bar for mute/unmute audio, I have found in addition these shortcuts of excellent usage especially the screen share as it doesn't show mouse movement.

• Alt+A: Mute/unmute audio
  • Alt+M: Mute/unmute audio for everyone except host Note: For the meeting host only
  • Alt+S: Launch share screen window and stop screen share Note: Will only work when meeting control toolbar has focus
  • Alt+F: Enter or exit full screen
  • Alt+Y: Raise/lower hand

Alt + V - Video on /off

On 6/24/2020 at 11:30 PM, TiaCyre said:

The best way I have found using Zoom is with a Windows PC. Since my processor is an Intel I-7 my gallery view has 49 thumbnails displayed and because my Dell Monitor's screen resolution is 2560 x 1440 their size excellent.

Besides the space bar for mute/unmute audio, I have found in addition these shortcuts of excellent usage especially the screen share as it doesn't show mouse movement.

• Alt+A: Mute/unmute audio
  • Alt+M: Mute/unmute audio for everyone except host Note: For the meeting host only
  • Alt+S: Launch share screen window and stop screen share Note: Will only work when meeting control toolbar has focus
  • Alt+F: Enter or exit full screen
  • Alt+Y: Raise/lower hand

Alt + V - Video on /off

i use an Android / windows custom keyboard deck program called matric that can set any windows keyboard key or sequence set up to a button on an android device.

so when hosting i have my phone next to me with keys for muting, screenshare, video on etc.
it just saves a few seconds trying to find the mouse and hit the right button.
the only limitation is it only works on functions that zoom have allocated a shortcut key to, although it also supports macros so mayby some possibilities there aswell.

Screenshot_2020-06-27-16-12-26-382_tbm.matric.client.jpg

I've been looking into budget stream deck alternatives for a while, there's a good number of them. One I've had on my wishlist is Deckboard, but it looks like Touch Portal is the best rated at the moment on Android. Great use for a cheap/old phone or tablet you don't mind burning down the battery on. https://play.google.com/store/search?q=touch portal&c=apps

Of course I don't really need it for my desktop PC as I have about 12 keyboard macro keys and 4 spare mouse buttons and customizable game controllers that I never really use... 🤔

So I take it that no one is having this issue with JWL and the sound? I started using OnlyM as an alternative until I can figure this thing out, and it works beautifully. I just want to work with what the Branch is providing, and need to know what I might be doing wrong, or need to adjust to get there. The brother on back-up, when I have an issue with JWL, is usually on standby, and sometimes, his does the same thing. The only common here is JWL.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

You need to provide more detail for me to make sense of it, step by step if possible. 'JWL is not providing sound'. When, where, how?
You say there's a brother on backup and the only common is JWL. I'm assuming you're both using Zoom, which is just as much the potential issue.

There is the possibility that JWL audio is getting sent to a different input/output than the one that Zoom uses. Do you plug or unplug any audio devices during the meeting?

Are you absolutely sure that you always have Share Computer Sound checked before sharing screen on a video? It can uncheck on you or be turned off.
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362643-Sharing-Computer-Sound-During-Screen-Sharing

Edit: While Screen Sharing live, there are toggles under More in the floating sharing controls for Share Sound and Optimize Video. There is also an icon indicating if you are sending computer sound through Zoom or not.

Edited by Myew

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2020 at 12:35 AM, Intercore said:

We use OBS for a while. No problems with that.

Would love to know how to use for MAC Pro. The basic setup, do you happen to have a walkthrough or aide for it my brother?

Edited by Jonnyavila

Typos

Quite a few changes and new features for a new ZOOM update today I received for Apple iOS, maybe some of these will be helpful for us.

image.jpeg

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

Just asking, this may be a good forum to start. I need help with arranging a future memorial service for my mother over zoom. I do not help with zoom meetings in our congregation and I just know the basics to participate. I am assuming I will need to purchase a zoom account, I will need to have some assist as hosts, etc., breakout rooms are probably the best ways for association in smaller groups. A friend is making a video of my mother’s life/theocratic service that I would like to be available for anyone to view., maybe by an option? Anyway, these are my 4:00am thoughts on future things, any direction would be helpful. Thank you, 

15 minutes ago, Skookum said:

Just asking, this may be a good forum to start. I need help with arranging a future memorial service for my mother over zoom. I do not help with zoom meetings in our congregation and I just know the basics to participate. I am assuming I will need to purchase a zoom account, I will need to have some assist as hosts, etc., breakout rooms are probably the best ways for association in smaller groups. A friend is making a video of my mother’s life/theocratic service that I would like to be available for anyone to view., maybe by an option? Anyway, these are my 4:00am thoughts on future things, any direction would be helpful. Thank you, 

You only need to purchase a Zoom account if your session will be longer than 45 minutes. The easier thing would probably be to get someone with a paid account to host it. I’d be happy to help host it or be an attendant.

I will ask someone in the congregation if I can use a paid account. Very generous offer to help, I think our local brothers will suffice, thank you kindly for your assistance brother Vincent!.😊

Edited by Skookum