JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What does your spouse do that really annoys you?

This post is not meant to pick apart our spouses but to find out the commonalities that men/husbands share and wives/women share.

I have heard all my life and experienced it to be true.  But men (dare I say most men) dont listen worth two hoots and a holler. 

I had something i was anxious to share with my husband.  I could not  wait for him to wake up so i woke him up saying i needed to talk.  As i started my story, he got up and started for the bathroom.  I was exasperated that he could not give me 5 minutes of his undivided attention and proceeded to let him know.  His reply?  'HONEY, I was listening. I dont pee out of my ears...'.  I guess i should have opted to tell a friend.  My sister GF's know how to listen.  They aren't 'multitasking' but give me their full attention.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

23 minutes ago, LeslieDean said:

This post is not meant to pick apart our spouses but to find out the commonalities that men/husbands share and wives/women share.

I have heard all my life and experienced it to be true.  But men (dare I say most men) dont listen worth two hoots and a holler. 

I had something i was anxious to share with my husband.  I could not  wait for him to wake up so i woke him up saying i needed to talk.  As i started my story, he got up and started for the bathroom.  I was exasperated that he could not give me 5 minutes of his undivided attention and proceeded to let him know.  His reply?  'HONEY, I was listening. I dont pee out of my ears...'.  I guess i should have opted to tell a friend.  My sister GF's know how to listen.  They aren't 'multitasking' but give me their full attention.

So sorry to hear that. 

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I 'hate' (relatively =love less) the fact that she is perfect in every way. Knows what to say, what to do, when to say it, when to do it, knows what is going on, when it's going on all while multi-tasking everything, doing all things better than me.
20 steps ahead of me.
On a positive note, I've learned to live with it. 40 years this year.

Just Older

He watches these really really long train journeys ... which is fine ... and dandy ... if you don't mind spending time on a virtual train trip ... but get this!!!! I walk  into the room and here he is staring at a black screen ... what in the world is he doing? Oh the train is going through this really really long tunnel.  I think it was in europe -  our tunnels here in NZ have lights on the sides but this one didn't it was pitch black.

My dear dear Thomas the tank engine ... I must say though he IS like the little engine that never gave up. If that's all that annoys me about my husband - we doing okay aren't we?

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

4 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

On a positive note, I've learned to live with it. 40 years this year.

Happy future anniversary!

Our 40th was last year.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

3 minutes ago, TonyWenz said:

Does it get better???

Just Older emoji856.png

It doesn't need to, its pretty good already. Shes a wonderful woman.

Hi sister, I can empathize with your feeling of frustration but I read somewhere that the brain takes time to transition from a state of being asleep into the real world. Like a full 20 minutes before it is really to tackle any serious issue. I don't know what is the actual time needed in cases where someone is deliberately roused from sleep.

I have a husband who is an undiagnosed Asperger syndrome sufferer, in which case it may take even longer. I don't really discussed anything with him most of the time because he will only exasperate me even more. He lacks empathy and has little common sense.

Have a nice day

Edited by MikkiSoo

grammar

5 hours ago, LeslieDean said:

I was exasperated that he could not give me 5 minutes of his undivided attention and proceeded to let him know. 

It sounds like it would have been hard for him to give you his undivided attention until after he had gone to the restroom. It sounds like he was making sure he could give you all of his attention for as long as you needed it...

It is quite dangerous to generalise like this, don’t you think?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

We're at 38 years .... and I still don't have a 10' pole so I'm not touching this thread either  

I got a few... I'll let you borrow one of mine... No as a matter of fact I'll let you keep it until end of thousand year reign and final test so we can burn them together. As we reflect on "what were these for?"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, LeslieDean said:

I guess i should have opted to tell a friend.  My sister GF's know how to listen.  They aren't 'multitasking' but give me their full attention

One of the things I have been told, and also consider to be true, is that men compartmentalize things and women do not.

I,  and by extension I include men, do this quite often.

It's like if there is a problem, it's in its own special box, separate from anything else. If I need to do anything about it,  it's as if I open the box, do what's needed, shut the box and move on. I don't, to the best of my ability, let one box adversely influence another box...to paraphrase, 'each box will have its troubles'...

I've learned that women, and in my ignorance include them all, don't do this.

Everything affects everything,  so that the effect is.....

Um, aren't they just so adorable,  what would we be without them....😘...

2 hours ago, tekmantwo said:

and by extension I include men, do this quite often.

It's like if there is a problem, it's in its own special box, separate from anything else. If I need to do anything about it,  it's as if I open the box, do what's needed, shut the box and move on. I don't, to the best of my ability, let one box adversely influence another box...to paraphrase, 'each box will have its troubles'...

Guess my Meyer's Briggs results were accurate after all. 😄 (came back with a pretty uncommon result in general, almost non existent in women). Didn't realize that women don't generally do this. 

5 hours ago, MikkiSoo said:

have a husband who is an undiagnosed Asperger syndrome sufferer, in which case it may take even longer. I don't really discussed anything with him most of the time because he will only exasperate me even more. He lacks empathy and has little common sense.

Have a nice day

I have a child on the spectrum and try hard to plan what to discuss and not discuss for the exact same reason. It can be really frustrating at times. I can only imagine how much more so this would be the case  with a spouse. ❤

I'm really like your husband. And you are like my wife. I should not show her this topic. She would say : "See ! I'm not the only one."... I know I know, darling. :D 

You know, it's like the convention, we can go to the toilet while listening to the talk. And sometimes, you have to go to the toilet (like when you wake up, kind of biological), it's not like doing this prevent you from focusing on what is being said (on the contrary, if you prevent him to go to the toilet, the disconfort will hinder is ability to focus on what you are saying.)

I could not wait for him to wake up so i woke him up saying i needed to talk...

...give me... full attention.

So, maybe the best is to wait for the moment when both of you are available and able to focus. Maybe like during the breakfast, so after the daily text, on the sofa, when everyone is relaxed and spiritually refreshed. (Prov 15:23, 25:11 and Eccle 3:7)

--------------

My wife sometimes use the expression "You never do this..."  even though I do (and "You always do that..." even though I don't do that so much).

But in fact, it's just that I don't do it enough (or I do it too much) according to her own standards (and needs).

Men and women communicate differently and it can be annoying. :D 

--------------

To make the topic more balanced and positive (even if I understand we want to share some petpeeve), maybe we should add:

What does your spouse do that really amaze you?

(in a good way)

My wife, she has many qualities and talents, I often feel unworthy. Thank you Jehovah.

First, and to make things concrete : she is an amazing cook.

Better than my mom, and that's something because my mother cuisine is heavenly (nothing to do with her hope and calling, haha, love you mom, will miss you). My wife made me like vegetables I hated with a passion, and I'm so happy to have the perspective to live by her side forever to enjoy Paradise food.

Second, about christian qualities, definitely "christian love" :

I assume it's also part of her Japanese culture, but she is always thinking about what she is doing and how it could hurt or encourage the Friends. She is very aware, considerate and compassionate,

+ her very good memory of people and events is astonishing. Sometimes, during the assemblies, she greets friends and talks to them in front of me, I keep a polite smile wondering "who are they" "where... how"... and after I ask her "So who were they" and she explains "You don't remember? She is the mother/cousin/sister of... from blabla congregation... we met her at blabla event... she had the red dress and shorter hair... it was like 8 years ago... we ate this and that"

drew_scanlon.gif.c8c7e048b0e0f859b1a6f8fdf8ad4da7.gif  

Edited by Dages

One of the things I have been told, and also consider to be true, is that men compartmentalize things and women do not.

I,  and by extension I include men, do this quite often.

Everything affects everything,  so that the effect is.....
Um, aren't they just so adorable,  what would we be without them.......

Some men do, some women do. Not all.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

My wife and I have been married 46 years.

Small things my wife does that annoy me. When I start to take out the trash, when I am halfway to the door, she says, "don't forget to take out the trash." I usually look at her a little confused, but sometimes I ask, "do you see what I have in my hand?" After several weeks of this she claims, "You never take out the trash. I always have to remind you."

When we were first married, I drove everywhere we went. In recent years she makes herself nervous when someone else drives. She will say things like, 'Don't hit that curb!",  'Watch out behind you!', 'don't hit anybody', 'watch the road'.  At that point, I ask her to at least wait until I get the car cranked. Most of the time I just get out and let her drive.

It has taken several years but my husband understands he has a listening problem. Lol  We can be in the middle of a good conversation and his mind will drift away to thinking about something related to what was said. It’s funny because he’s always wanting to use “active listening” when talking to others but he forgets to do it with me. He has a spanish last name that was pronounced very americanly by his sergeant in the marines.   So I just look at my husband, say his last name in a very American way and then tell him “You are making my eye twitch”.  We got that from a line in the movie French Kiss where the woman was complaining about how grumpy the guy was. We cleaned it up a little  😉

I got on his case this week about traipsing through the house after working outside after finding wood chips on my bedroom carpet. 

He let me know I left the switch on every time I use the blender. 😂

We get annoyed with each other but then use lots of humor to get through the day. He’ll say ‘listen woman’ and I will say ‘listen McFly’. We use lots of names and movie references. 🤷🏻‍♀️😜

We all have things to work on.  

The man makes me a cup of coffee every morning and brings it to me in bed because I am not a morning person. He even makes meals a few times a week. I’m the one who measured out and planned our kitchen remodel. 

I love that that we are a great team despite everything. 😊

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

5 hours ago, TonyWenz said:

One of the best articles written... g94 1/22.

Just Older emoji856.png

We had several Family Worship about communication and we used that article. It's a great article.

1 hour ago, Witness1970 said:

Small things my wife does that annoy me. When I start to take out the trash, when I am halfway to the door, she says, "don't forget to take out the trash." I usually look at her a little confused, but sometimes I ask, "do you see what I have in my hand?" After several weeks of this she claims, "You never take out the trash. I always have to remind you."

:lol1: My wife does that! She tells me to do something that I'm already doing and then thinks that I only do it because she told me to!

I teased her about it one day by telling her "left, right, left, right" while she was walking. :lol:

My wife has so many good qualities that it completely overshadows the small things that might annoy me. I know that I probably annoy her more so we call it even...:lol: