JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

JW.ORG: 1090 languages and growing!

https://religionnews.com/2019/11/04/worlds-most-widely-translated-website-jw-org-features-content-in-1000-languages/

John Yunker, author of The Web Globalization Report Card, states: “The internet connects computers, but languages connect people. . . . The jw.org website shows great respect for those who speak languages that may not be supported by the Fortune 500. But on a larger level, jw.org is ahead of the curve. Even Facebook, with support for more than 100 languages, has a long way to go. And while the jw.org effort is volunteer-driven, it even outpaces the world’s most popular crowdsourced website, Wikipedia, with support for more than 280 languages.”

Mr. Yunker adds: “The jw.org website places its ‘global gateway’ prominently in the header, on par with the logo, which not only makes the gateway easy to find for visitors from around the world—no matter what language they may speak—but also sends a clear message that Jehovah’s Witnesses prioritize languages.”

John Yunker's page: https://globalbydesign.com/2019/11/04/1000-languages-the-worlds-most-multilingual-website/

Edited by Skye

add

This translation blog seems to be very surprised about the number of languages on jw.org. :) Understandably, many think that the most translated website on earth is either Google, Facebook or Wikipedia, but hardly anyone would expect a religious group to achieve this kind of feat. It is truly amazing and only possible thanks to Jehovah!

I wonder if brothers would file an application to the Guinness World Record Book for publicity purposes to draw more attention to the website.  

I wonder if brothers would file an application to the Guinness World Record Book for publicity purposes to draw more attention to the website.  

Probably not... We have never done it for honor or name recognition.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but, There are roughly 6,500 spoken languages in the world today. However, about 2,000 of those languages have fewer than 1,000 speakers. The most popular language in the world is Mandarin Chinese. There are 1,213,000,000 people in the world that speak that language”

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but, There are roughly 6,500 spoken languages in the world today. However, about 2,000 of those languages have fewer than 1,000 speakers. The most popular language in the world is Mandarin Chinese. There are 1,213,000,000 people in the world that speak that language”
Well.. I spoke with someone who somehow used this argument to show that we still have to do so much before the end comes.
He said: the Bible says from ALL tongues. So we have some 5500 languages to go..

I thought this was a weird argument btw..

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ELE-L29 met Tapatalk

2 hours ago, jwhess said:

Well, it might be useful to calm down some of our overly-enthusiastic brothers who think that Armageddon would start the Thursday after we got to 1000...:sunshine:

That's tomorrow!  ::o

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 11/4/2019 at 10:20 PM, jwhess said:

The 2nd thousand begins

22 hours ago, Sepie93 said:

Its going quickemoji23.png

Yes, I can't keep up 😉 It's a full time job

Kalenjin - western Kenya, eastern Uganda, northern Tanzania

Full Website

6 Congregations

Songo - Angola

Content: Videos

2Congregations

Nagamese Spoken by an estimated 30,000 people in the Indian north-eastern state of Nagaland

Website

1 Congregation

This is from a video:

Our friends from Nagaland teach us how to say "HOW ARE YOU?'" in their local dialect.

There are several tribes in Nagaland (around 16) and each tribe has their own local dialect.

People in Nagaland often uses "Nagamese" a creole to communicate with each other. English is a common language as well.

Transcript from the video:

• “How are You?” in Nagamese Kinika Ase?

• “How are You?” in Angami Tribe “No kimhie baro?”

• “How are You?” in Lotha Tribe “Kvüto vanala?”

• “How are You?” in Konyak Tribe “Hangke ngoh nang ke?”

• “How are You?” in Sumi Tribe “Noye kishi ani kya?”

• “How are You?” in Ao Tribe “Na Koma Lir?” (Jungli dialect)

• “Hope You are Doing Fine?” in Ao Tribe “Aru Kü dang Chao?” (Mongsen dialect)

A lot of scope for new languages ☺️

18 hours ago, Hope said:

I do love the Hawai'i Pidgin - check out da site.. fo real! 😎🌴  https://www.jw.org/hwc/

Oh my! That is so funny. And to think that's a real language, "fo real." But really...

Da main ting we like do is sho respeck fo Jehovah, da one who wen make da Bible an all tings.

Huh? "Respeck?" To me, that doesn't sound respectful. But to the ones who speak it, it's probably sounds so-o-o-o beautiful. :crush:

Quotes from jw.org in Hawai'i Pidgin:

You like know moa about Witnesses fo Jehovah?

Get stuff in dis language ova hea:

Open Your Ear Wen God Talk den Can Live Foeva

Da good news of God’s Government make peopo feel good inside and make dea faith solid in God’s Boy, Jesus.

Study fo free wen an wea you like.

So beautiful!

I do love the Hawai'i Pidgin - check out da site.. fo real!   https://www.jw.org/hwc/
I listened to this: https://www.jw.org/hwc/witnesses-fo-jehovah/free-bible-study/video-study-da-bible-wat-fo/
(As my daughter lives there, it takes me there...)

Just Older

4 hours ago, Sheep said:

Oh my! That is so funny. And to think that's a real language, "fo real." But really...

Huh? "Respeck?" To me, that doesn't sound respectful. But to the ones who speak it, it's probably sounds so-o-o-o beautiful. :crush:

Quotes from jw.org in Hawai'i Pidgin:

So beautiful!

The Hawai'i Pidgin Bible is lovely.  Something about it touches me very much.  There is no NWT edition yet, but you can read it here:  http://www.pidginbible.org/Concindex.html

I love the names of the books of the bible (Acts = Jesus Guys)  :cool:

Psalm 23 - 

Da Boss Above, he take care me,
  Jalike da sheep farma take care his sheeps.
  He goin give me everyting I need.

He let me lie down wea da sweet an soft grass stay.
  He lead me by da water wea I can rest.

He give me new kine life.
  He lead me in da road dat stay right,
  Cuz I his guy.  :crush:

My former student is from Liberia and she only has 1 year of formal education because of the war in her country. I think I will go back and see if she would like to read this pidgin version of the Bible. I'm just tickled pink reading this 'broken' English version. 

So far I  have only given Ms Comfort, the Ladybird books series to help her learn the written word. She was so overwhelmed with being able to read, she went out and bought books for her children back home. But sadly her current home based work keeps her from concentrating on her studies. 

Thanks for highlighting this delightful version.

https://newsexpressngr.com/news/84840-Jehovahs-Witnesses-reach-hearts-with-Pidgin-attract-huge-crowds-to-Love-convention

My dictionary app defines pidgin as,

A simplified form of speech that is usually a mixture of two or more languages, has a rudimentary grammar and vocabulary, is used for communication between groups speaking different languages, and is not spoken as a first or native language. Also called contact language.

(Linguistics) a language made up of elements of two or more other languages and used for contacts, esp trading contacts, between the speakers of other languages. Unlike creoles, pidgins do not constitute the mother tongue of any speech community.

————

Are we translating into pidgins because we haven’t yet translated into particular mother-tongues, or for other reasons?
(The mother-tongue/language of the heart here defined as ‘the language we would use if we were annoyed with our spouse’, to misquote a G.B. member!)

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

• Dages changed the title to JW.ORG: 1090 languages and growing!