JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Anti-mask protesters' new weapon

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1376 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Anti-mask protesters' new weapon: wearing masks that offer no COVID-19 protection

Face masks made of mesh, crochet (yarn) or lace are now popular items being offered by online retailers.

NDIANAPOLIS — As more communities and businesses adopt mandatory mask orders, supporters of an “anti-mask” movement are looking to make a statement. They are wearing masks that cover their nose and mouth but provide no ability to slow the spread of disease.

"I wore a mask that is designed for protecting your face in a paintball battle. You can easily breathe through it. I walked all around the store, talked to employees, and other shoppers, and every one of them could see my mouth," said a Florida man who posted a video showing him wearing a mesh mask to a Tampa Walmart. "It was almost like not wearing a mask at all. Nobody cared. That's because it's not about safety. It's all about compliance."

Other social media posts show anti-mask advocates wearing mesh masks intended to comply with the letter – but not the spirit – of municipal and corporate rules mandating face coverings.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/investigations/13-investigates/13-investigates-anti-mask-protestors-turn-to-mesh-yarn-crochet-masks-covid-coronavirus/531-5350260c-d6b1-4bd8-857e-860fe84e0f52?fbclid=IwAR3PLD35Ks5SBPtrbKe2hvV1I3NzzBcWZPy2WDOMufQvqL-TZMM9oluwmwA

All I can say is literally "not open to any agreement..."

Edited by Shawnster

Is it is not the mask that is the problem, but wearing one that might protect their neighbours?

Society usually wants you to wear clothes in public. If you wear see-thru clothes, you are technically wearing clothes, but have you understood the principles involved?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Personally, it seems like very frightening to see how the seriousness of the issue of the Coronavirus pandemic is constantly getting downplayed either by media or just human stupidity.

And this is especially why we thank our Organisation on giving us an unbiased, practical guidelines, especially that we must “obey health rules of the local authorities” and that we must “place a high value in life.”

Many local governments worldwide have stopped the gatherings. And so did we. We are also following their examples. If the governments think this is something to be serious, then it is no wonder why even the Governing Body is closely monitoring situation carefully.

If we have love for one another, whether that’s our brothers or those around us, we will eagerly follow such health guidelines…

From NY Times:

The map shows broad regional patterns: Mask use is high in the Northeast and the West, and lower in the Plains and parts of the South. But it also shows many fine-grained local differences. Masks are widely worn in the District of Columbia, but there are sections of the suburbs in both Maryland and Virginia where norms seem to be different. In St. Louis and its western suburbs, mask use seems to be high. But across the Missouri River, it falls.

A Detailed Map of Who Is Wearing Masks in the U.S.

https://nyti.ms/2Bdbb5e

Old (Downunder) Tone

Mask-Map-NYT.jpg

Edited by Maʹher-shalʹal-hash-baz

Add pic

On 7/17/2020 at 3:32 PM, Shawnster said:

Anti-mask protesters' new weapon

Maybe I shouldn't laugh but as a retail workers (compulsory face masks in shops from Monday) I'd be able to treat this as "Don't have to get involved" which may prove important for my life. 

We have had a mandatory mask/face covering order since the beginning of May. When the State began to open, our County did NOT lift the requirement. Many have not complied, especially when things began to open.

With the numbers in Florida so high, the County has decided to put more impact in their enforcing of the mandatory face coverings. They announced at the end of June they would be handing out fines for non-compliance. This was not done in earnest - until last week. With the numbers hitting record proportions, they now have a "hot line" where anyone can report a business or person anonymously. They are placing "Code Enforcement Officers" at the businesses with the most complaints. While there they will determine if the business is at fault and issue them a fine if they determine the business is not enforcing the mandate. If a person tries to enter the business without a mask they will be informed of the mandate and offered a free mask. If they refuse the mask (or to wear it) they will be issued a ticket - 1st time it is $125 and goes up from there. If a person receives 3 tickets they will get a mandatory court date.

We will see how it goes.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

5 hours ago, Qapla said:

If a person tries to enter the business without a mask they will be informed of the mandate and offered a free mask.

That's the only way it can be made to work. When staff are running around doing other jobs and also having to keep an eye on how many are in the store and are they wearing masks it won't work.

While the Irish, despite their reputation, aren't that aggressive (at least in most areas of the country) one area I see a battle is many won't wear a mask properly, correction is rarely welcomed. That will be an i...nteresting one.

Edited by Hugh O'D

Qualification

37 minutes ago, Hugh O'D said:

I understand some have genuine difficulties with wearing masks and I've full sympathy for them.

Although some use this "reasoning" to circumvent the "mask" - there are many "face coverings" that meet the C-19 mandate that do not restrict breathing ... including using a clear face shield that does not impede breathing at all.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

3 hours ago, Qapla said:

ace coverings" that meet the C-19 mandate that do not restrict breathing ... including using a clear face shield that does not impede breathing at all.

Ive been thinking about getting a face shield as it can be a struggle wearing glasses, hearing aids and asthma wearing a regular material face mask.  So I just ordered this one from amazon.FBDEC67C-C11E-4DC0-B278-782095358DB4.thumb.png.e5ca20fdde38289ee64678a1c0ffacc3.png

2 hours ago, booboo said:

Ive been thinking about getting a face shield as it can be a struggle wearing glasses, hearing aids and asthma wearing a regular material face mask.  So I just ordered this one from amazon.FBDEC67C-C11E-4DC0-B278-782095358DB4.thumb.png.e5ca20fdde38289ee64678a1c0ffacc3.png

My Mom and I actually ordered these on Amazon. At the time a 2 pack was 17.xx.  I originally got them for my special needs at school, so that they could see my face.  However, I love it so much I am thinking about using it everywhere.  :) 

2 hours ago, Jeanie said:

love it so much I am thinking about using it everywhere

Do you mind me asking, is it the exact same model? There's a LOT of face screens out there, and if they're anything like the masks there's a lot of variation in style and comfort with them so I'd like to know a model that's actuallly good.

18 hours ago, Qapla said:

If a person tries to enter the business without a mask they will be informed of the mandate and offered a free mask.

Noticed that at some stores yesterday. Wife wanted more things today at a different store ( really did not want to go out - we had just had bad storm go through, on way home I noticed a tree across a side street ). No person there mandating policy, just several in your face signs. This is where I saw a man without a mask. Other customers expressed dismay.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

2 hours ago, Jeanie said:

I love it so much I am thinking about using it everywhere.

I have a heavy duty work version - made for protecting face from flying debris while grinding, cutting, etc. Too heavy to wear that much, besides it is with my tools.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/backstories/1159/

How to wear masks in warmer climates, from Japan where masks are not usually worn in summer. 

“He suggests such people take frequent breaks when walking outside, and that they change masks after sweating, as it is even more difficult for air to pass through damp fabric.“

Edited by hatcheckgirl