JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Peace and Security, Great Tribulation, Armageddon

I'm reading this article again 

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/watchtower-study-october-2019/stay-faithful-through-great-tribulation/

IMAGINE that the nations have just made their long-awaited proclamation of “peace and security.” They may boast that the world has never been so safe. The nations will want us to think that they have the world situation under control. But they have absolutely no control over what will follow! Why not? According to Bible prophecy, “sudden destruction is to be instantly on them, . . . and they will by no means escape.”—1 Thess. 5:3.

We do not know what reasons the nations might give to justify their attack on Babylon the Great. They might say that the world’s religions are an obstacle to peace and that they constantly meddle in politics. Or they might say that those religious organizations have accumulated too much wealth and property. (Rev. 18:3, 7) It seems reasonable that this attack will not mean that all the members of those religions will be destroyed. Rather, it seems that the nations will get rid of the religious organizations. Once those organizations are gone, the former members will realize that their religious leaders failed them and will likely try to distance themselves from those religions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 3:39 PM, Loyal said:

I'm reading this article again 

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/watchtower-study-october-2019/stay-faithful-through-great-tribulation/

IMAGINE that the nations have just made their long-awaited proclamation of “peace and security.” They may boast that the world has never been so safe. The nations will want us to think that they have the world situation under control. But they have absolutely no control over what will follow! Why not? According to Bible prophecy, “sudden destruction is to be instantly on them, . . . and they will by no means escape.”—1 Thess. 5:3.

We do not know what reasons the nations might give to justify their attack on Babylon the Great. They might say that the world’s religions are an obstacle to peace and that they constantly meddle in politics. Or they might say that those religious organizations have accumulated too much wealth and property. (Rev. 18:3, 7) It seems reasonable that this attack will not mean that all the members of those religions will be destroyed. Rather, it seems that the nations will get rid of the religious organizations. Once those organizations are gone, the former members will realize that their religious leaders failed them and will likely try to distance themselves from those religions.

The story is from 2018 but shows a bit about what to expect about governments and the UN attacking religions, i.e. taking a stand on article 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

It is in sync with the article that brother recalled from the JW site.

I think they could, yes, re-evaluate overnight this article 18 and thus decide to reform 

https://brasil.un.org/pt-br/81831-artigo-18-liberdade-de-religiao-e-crenca

"""

Article 18 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) says that we all have the right to have our own beliefs, to have a religion, to have no religion, or to change religion.

For its time, the UDHR was very progressive in stating that believers of all religions and secular beliefs should be able to live peacefully with their rights guaranteed by the state, without presuming any national or state-sponsored religion.

"The obligation of the state is to guarantee religious freedom, and that implies dealing with all of them equally," said Ricardo Alarcón, Cuba's former foreign minister.

Article 18 protects theists, non-theists and atheists, as well as those who profess no religion or creed. Less well known is the role that religious organizations have played in realizing and supporting the human rights movement.

In South Asia, Hinduism inspired Mahatma Gandhi's long march for the liberation of India. Protestant Christians led the struggle to abolish slavery in the United Kingdom and the United States in the 19th century. Roman Catholics in Poland and Lutherans in East Germany were at the forefront of the fight against authoritarianism in the late 20th century. Roman Catholics in Latin America pressed for social justice with "liberation theology."

As former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein pointed out, "religious leaders, with their considerable influence on the hearts and minds of millions of people, are potentially important human rights actors."

However, religions and human rights are often seen as conflicting, with debates in Western Europe over whether women should be allowed to wear veils and blasphemy laws allegedly used irregularly in parts of Asia to settle personal grudges.

Some argue that what is needed is not just religious freedom, but freedom from religion itself, especially when it is cited as a justification for discriminatory and harmful practices.

Several UN human rights bodies have raised issues related to religious diversity. The UN Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women, for example, recommended that Nigeria repeal or amend its discriminatory laws and include religious leaders in the process of responding to issues of faith and human rights.

To explore potentially positive connections between human and religious rights, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) launched an initiative in 2017 called "Faith for Rights" to include religious leaders in efforts to build peaceful societies that uphold equality, human dignity, and embrace diversity.

The campaign began with a groundbreaking agreement, made at a meeting in Beirut, on 18 commitments articulating ways that faith can advocate for rights more effectively, so that advocates of both can help each other.

The commitments include a pledge to defend the freedom of religion or belief of minorities, as well as the right to participate equally in cultural, religious, social, economic, and public life. Subsequent events in Morocco, Tunisia, and Mauritania focused on the role of religious leaders, women, and youth in promoting human rights in the Middle East and North Africa.

The UN Human Rights Committee has emphasized that domestic laws should not punish criticism of religious leaders or prevent commentary on religious doctrines and tenets of faith. Analysis by the Pew Research Center shows that a quarter of the world's countries and territories had laws or policies against blasphemy in 2014, the most recent year for which figures are available.

Approximately 13% had laws or policies penalizing apostasy, in some cases making the act punishable by death. Some of the most restrictive countries in the world are also among the most populous. Because of this, nearly three-quarters of the world's population live under severe restrictions.

In 2018, Pakistan's Supreme Court acquitted a Christian woman, Asia Bibi, on blasphemy charges and overturned her death sentence after determining that she had been falsely accused by Muslim women who did not want her to drink water from the same glass as them. Bibi's case is one of the best known examples of how blasphemy laws can be used as personal vendettas, and the Supreme Court's decision led to demonstrations by people insisting that Asia Bibi should be sentenced to death.

The protection of the right to change religion - labeled apostasy in some countries - has caused divisions among the drafters of the UDHR. Saudi Arabia abstained from the final vote on the Declaration because of this clause, but other Muslim-majority countries such as Syria, Iran, Turkey, and Pakistan voted in favor.

Shortly before the proclamation of the UDHR on December 10, 1948, Pakistan's former foreign minister pointed out that Islam aspires "to persuade men to change their faith and alter their way of life, to follow the faith and way of life preached, but recognizes the same right of conversion for other religions."

In some countries, the application of secular norms sometimes met new residents who brought different cultures and different religions. In July 2018, in two groundbreaking decisions, the UN Human Rights Committee concluded that France had violated the rights of two women by penalizing them for wearing the niqab, a full-body Islamic veil.

However, there are dissenting voices. For former US President Barack Obama, "you can't deny women basic rights, and pretend this is about 'religious freedom. "Religious freedom does not mean that you can force others to live according to their own beliefs," he declared.

Courts in many countries have also made it clear that religion is not a license to spread hatred, or even commit violence, against followers of other faiths.

Nor is religion a license to suppress or discriminate against women. In the words of the former UN special rapporteur on freedom of religion and belief, Asma Jahangir, "it can no longer be a taboo to demand that women's rights take priority over intolerant beliefs that are used to justify gender discrimination."

"""

I keep thinking that these debates, these writings and decisions as well as the DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS must be taken into account at some important moment of the PS declaration 

Maybe even hidden from the religious actors

So many important projects to be carried out, so many new Bethels to be inaugurated, many still need to be built, will this system still last for decades? I can't take this disgusting system of satan anymore, sometimes it seems close and sometimes so far away the end of this evil world 😢

54 minutes ago, Loyal said:

So many important projects to be carried out, so many new Bethels to be inaugurated, many still need to be built, will this system still last for decades? I can't take this disgusting system of satan anymore, sometimes it seems close and sometimes so far away the end of this evil world 😢

Take coursge! The answer is no. These projects will be continued in the new system. GB members suggested that a few times. 

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

On 1/6/2023 at 11:46 AM, Loyal said:

I can't say anything but I feel that this year 2023 something will happen in this scenario of peace and security and we will need a lot of patience 

The pushing of KOTN and KOTS is getting intense .. So yes 2023 is something really important. 

1 hour ago, Loyal said:

Jehovah is not going to delay the great tribulation because we have a building project planned or in progress.  We don't set Jehovah's time table. He sets ours. Jehovah wants us to always have a building project planned or in progress.  He will interrupt our work with the great tribulation. 

Mutually Assured destruction has been been so intense this year, 2023.  If Jehovah God wont intervene, I believe that mankind will destroy one another. 

Scientists and experts are more scared than the normal people of whats gonna happen. It will happen if Jehovah is not in control. 

Thats the reason to be joyful, despite all of these,  Jehovah is in control. 

But majority of mankind are asleep. 

Edited by JennyM

Earthquakes, Wars, Diseases, political division, racial issues, gender ideologies, increase in crime, world crisis, let's wait for how the request for peace and security will happen, there is no doubt that it is satanic propaganda, why peace and security in this system? Never! true peace and security will only be found under the Government of God, we need the new world urgently 

20 minutes ago, Loyal said:

Earthquakes, Wars, Diseases, political division, racial issues, gender ideologies, increase in crime, world crisis, let's wait for how the request for peace and security will happen, there is no doubt that it is satanic propaganda, why peace and security in this system? Never! true peace and security will only be found under the Government of God, we need the new world urgently 

First part of Annual meeting says that the cry of peace and security is  ANY DAY NOW! 

Time left is reduced. im praying hard to expand my ministry. He gives the desire and power to act. 

13 hours ago, Doug said:

I'll be listening for P&S in President Biden's State of the Union speech.

He talks about peace and prosperity ( the economy, jobs ) what people want to hear.  👂 👂🏻 👂🏽 👂🏾 (ears)

2 hours ago, Michał said:

Yeah, but if it hsppens simituonosly (I imagine so) then one oart of Earth can have it at midnight at it would be two days so to speak. 

Another point, i have never imagined to think about such minute details of Armageddon before in my life 😂

Maybe we’ll go by Jerusalem’s time for the date of Armageddon and that’s what will be recorded 🤷🏾 

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

Im probably wrong, but I think we’ll all give our own version of the time it started when we recount our experience (which I’m sure we will be doing for many years after the event). For example I’ll say “it happened at 2am on the 24th day of *insert month and year* when we heard the start of Armageddon” but someone in New York will describe it like “for me it happened at 9pm on the 23rd day of *blah blah blah*”.

It’s impossible for it to happen worldwide and still be the same date for everyone because of the time difference. There will probably an ‘official recorded date’ that we will use, but in our own experiences we will say what time and day it happened for us. 

Do you think it will last longer than a day/24 hours? 

On 6/27/2022 at 2:40 PM, Doak said:

Lately I've been feeling a little down, I'm not going to lie. I have known the truth since I was born, and I have always heard that there will be a Great Tribulation and an Armageddon. As I got a little older, I began to hear about the announcement of peace and security that we are all waiting for. The problem is that more than 20 years have passed. And I know that before I was born the brothers already heard about it. I've made so many changes in my life for the end of the system and it seems like it never comes again...

I knew a Brother years ago, quite elderly man, he had a somewhat unique way of looking at this...

His assertion was that humans, us in particular, have a hard time grasping amorphous concepts, such as the passage of time, like 'oh, someday', or 'imminent'..or 'in due time'... 

His solution was to define a set timeframe that is easier to digest, in his case it was 2 weeks..

He said that anyone can grasp 2 weeks,so, when in conversation about GT or Armageddon, he would say "2 weeks, it'll be here in 2 weeks" ...

So, my Brother, 2 more weeks.....:thumbsup: