JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Who is the biggest HAM on the forum?

I have been thinking more seriously about getting into amateur radio and am looking for some of my Brothers and Sisters who can give me some advice on how to best get started. I know you are all out there so join the conversation and give me some of your wisdom.

Just now, Brother Arellano said:

I see adding the tags was not enough. Next time I will shoot for a longer title. 

Tags? Tags? I don't read no stinking tags...:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

16 minutes ago, Brother Arellano said:

I have been thinking more seriously about getting into amateur radio and am looking for some of my Brothers and Sisters who can give me some advice on how to best get started. I know you are all out there so join the conversation and give me some of your wisdom.

My sisters late husband was the only brother that I knew that had a ham radio and he was very excited about it. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

8 minutes ago, Qapla said:

On my "Unread Content" view the "Hobbies" and "Fun" tags show in the listing - but the, important for this thread, "Ametuer Radio" tag does not show :shrugs:

What can I say, I took a shot.

8 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

My sisters late husband was the only brother that I knew that had a ham radio and he was very excited about it. 

I know a handful of Brothers whose brains I have already picked. Including this smart Brother WD0JEA  ( https://www.isotronantennas.com/ ) . I was just casting a wider net. And seeing how many possible Brothers I would have to chat with. 

Edited by Brother Arellano

Too bad you didn't list the tags in the opposite order - then it might show ...... :confused:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

16 minutes ago, Brother Arellano said:

All I know about tags I learned from ripping them off my shirts and mattresses.

Do you get queasy when you hear a surprise knock on your door? 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

QST is a magazine for amateur radio enthusiasts. Here's the Wikipedia page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/QST

T hunting is "is an activity wherein participants use radio direction finding techniques to locate one or more radio transmitters hidden within a designated search area. This activity is most popular among amateur radio enthusiasts..." https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmitter_hunting

(tu)

5 hours ago, Tortuga said:

ham radio and he was very excited about it. 

He had it with scrambled eggs? or omelet?

In my view it's very short lived hobby, unless you keep it in the fridge ...LOL :lol1:

hC5FA8200.jpg

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Finally got around to searching for Amatuer Ham radio  and this was one of the first to pop up.  We have a few ham Brother here in Eugene, OR. We use to have a small repeater but let it go as we did not use it much.  We now have another Brother studying for Technician and General.  So that got me enthused enough to start studying for Amateur Extra and so a search here to see how much other activity it out there.

There used to be a Brother WA4UQQ that organized the Brothers and even printed a JW ham directory.  Then JW Hams gathered at W2BN.org but since the branch started to do more about taking the lead for emergencies it was not really needed.  As far as I know they still do the daily text on HF freqs both from US east and west US coast at two different times. I heard them once but my old radio and the string antenna I had  could not get in and once I passed that on to another ham to see what he could do with it I never did spend the resources to get an HF rig that really would work.  Yup a General who never got ino HF and here I am practicing for Amatuer Extra as somthing to do.

I see Ham radio being used in the new system to communicate world wide.  Can you imagine phone wires or cell tower every two miles to communicate?    

Off to see what else I can find Amatuer Radio related in the forum threads.  - Update Edit: Not much, the other thead I found was old and closed.   

Look forward to some replies,    93 - 73's K7VIQ clear

Edited by Pallen

Update

Personal Greetings from Paul and Kathy Forgive me if I got long winded, there is just so much to share.

On 8/6/2018 at 4:55 PM, Hammerhead said:

I'm a ham operator, kn4lrj is my call sign. Right now I'm a tech, will be upgrading to general within the month

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

I'm a ham operator too, my callsign is KD4RKS.  I got my license the first year they no longer required the Morse Code...just the questions.  Although I knew the code because I tested and practised with my husband to get his.  I only wanted my license to be able to talk with him when we were not together.  We enjoyed the hobby.  He was into it more than me on the technical side.  Him and his brother were big in RF and making their own antennas.  He owned several different radios and like buying and selling them at Ham Fest.  It was  profitable hobby.  I don't know how it would be today.

"Be imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Hebrews 6:12

12 hours ago, Pallen said:

Finally got around to searching for Amatuer Ham radio  and this was one of the first to pop up.  We have a few ham Brother here in Eugene, OR. We use to have a small repeater but let it go as we did not use it much.  We now have another Brother studying for Technician and General.  So that got me enthused enough to start studying for Amateur Extra and so a search here to see how much other activity it out there.

There used to be a Brother WA4UQQ that organized the Brothers and even printed a JW ham directory.  Then JW Hams gathered at W2BN.org but since the branch started to do more about taking the lead for emergencies it was not really needed.  As far as I know they still do the daily text on HF freqs both from US east and west US coast at two different times. I heard them once but my old radio and the string antenna I had  could not get in and once I passed that on to another ham to see what he could do with it I never did spend the resources to get an HF rig that really would work.  Yup a General who never got ino HF and here I am practicing for Amatuer Extra as somthing to do.

I see Ham radio being used in the new system to communicate world wide.  Can you imagine phone wires or cell tower every two miles to communicate?    

Off to see what else I can find Amatuer Radio related in the forum threads.  - Update Edit: Not much, the other thead I found was old and closed.   

Look forward to some replies,    93 - 73's K7VIQ clear

I remember the callsign WA4UQQ and the JW Ham Directory.  I remember the brothers trying to organize to approach the branch about setting up brothers to be a contact for natural disasters.  My husband had just received the directory before we moved to SC.  As soon as we arrived here...he wanted to start contacting the local brothers who were also Hams.  He only found 3 local brothers...and they became fast friends. 

Thanks for the great memories...

"Be imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises." Hebrews 6:12