JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

May 2020 Broadcast

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1446 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

6 hours ago, booboo said:
14 hours ago, jscotchie said:

Places of my worship will be able to have up to 20 people gather together from Monday May 18 in my area. I’m hoping that means that we will be able to meet as a congregation at the Kingdom Hall to watch the convention by the time July comes around. If not, we will at least be able to meet in our field service groups to do so.

Here in USA, even though a great number of states are relaxing lockdown measures, the Branch has instructed the Kingdom Halls are still not to be used.

But yes we can still have the hope of being together again

This is what I have been suspecting. The government in some given area may decide it's now safe to meet together in larger groups. But that doesn't necessarily mean the branch office is going to advise us to start our meetings in the Kingdom Halls. The governments have the economy to worry about and so want to get it working again. We, however, have the health of our elderly brothers and sisters to be worried about. If the branch doesn't think we're ready for meeting together yet, their directive will have to take priority.

Texas has opened things up and new cases of the virus has escalated! Saturday morning Service Meeting, we were shown graphs showing positive cases before opening and after opening! There was also graphs showing number of hospital beds used since then! Both graphs showed horrible results! We have been advised by the Slave that no matter what the government says, Kingdom Halls will remain closed and no public witnessing here! We have also been advised to use discernment about going back to work, shopping etc. Since many employees are making arrangements for employees to work from home, that's something to look into! These letters from the Slave have read for last two meetings stressing the urgency!

Another point brought out during Service Meeting is be frugal with food. It has become difficult to find flour, butter, yeast, rice, beans, milk and other things! Often when you find it, quantities are limited! Now there is a shortage of meat! Texas is beef country!! Where is the beef? To be frugal, we have been advised to promptly put up left overs, don't let food spoil in or out of the refrigerator and don't waste food! Why? We looked at the four horseman the 6th chapter of Revelation, in particular the one with the scales, famine! We have been advised that rationing is next! We have been advised! Jehovah is teaching his people to survive during this pandemic!

13 minutes ago, georider said:

Texas is beef country!! Where is the beef?

Wow! Now that's a good question! 

Being euthanized is one thing some farmers are doing? 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

4 minutes ago, AH173 said:

Being euthanized is one thing some farmers are doing? 

That's a little extreme...

Oh, you mean the cattle. My bad...😁

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

24 minutes ago, Arumuga Raja said:

In the end of the may broadcast video our brother said a new convention song now able to download in our website. So i am searched but i can't able to find. Please help me for find new convention song

https://www.jw.org/en/library/music-songs/original-songs/our-joy-eternally/

On 5/4/2020 at 6:11 PM, Adam! said:

Without being controversial, I need to ask 

Who are these sensitive parents out there? We can't live in La la land all the time!

Children usually love biblical characters like King David, Samson, etc. Every time they read those stories, they must imagine those escenes and meditate about them. (e.g. 1 Sam. 17: 51 David continued running and stood over him. Then he took hold of the Phi·lisʹtine’s sword and pulled it out of its sheath and made sure that he was dead by cutting off his head with it.) 
Jehovah used Samuel at a young age to give priest Eli a strong message.
 Maybe they even make some biblical representations about those stories. 
Those detailed and graphic stories were written beforehand for our instruction. And we should "see" them in our minds. Imagination could be some times more vivid than a film.
Balance is very important. 
Job 40: 8 Will you call into question my justice? Will you condemn me so that you may be right?

On 5/4/2020 at 3:11 PM, Adam! said:

Without being controversial, I need to ask 

Who are these sensitive parents out there? We can't live in La la land all the time!

I can imagine that victims of violence or abuse may be more sensitive about what their children are exposed to. I also imagine that some parents may have a difficult time keeping their children from being influenced by a violent culture or living environment.  Some parents may feel that any violence may feed their child's desire to imitate the world. There are a lot of challenges for some parents. 

There are over 8 million witnesses and over 8 million unique set of personal circumstances. I'm sure there are a lot of sensitive parents that feel they have a valid reason for their level of sensitivity. I appreciate Brother Letts explanation and I hope it comforts the sensitive parents that are responsible for raising their families according to their unique circumstances. 

Parents are First Responders and we love them for the work they do to protect their families..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

While I appreciate and agree with what you’ve said, Richard, it still boggles my mind that they can even question the spiritual material provided by fds - Bible based material. Violence is part of this system, the Bible accurately recounts our sad history. The fds is visually recounting the Bible’s story. Who are we to question?

You can’t put that kind of negative slant on the food provided. It’s going to get you into trouble when something else in the Bible upsets your sensitivities.

I think it’s a warning for all of us to examine the bigger picture and think why has this information been provided? Why is it beneficial for me? How can I apply it? Not, ewww! This speech is shocking!

17 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

While I appreciate and agree with what you’ve said, Richard, it still boggles my mind that they can even question the spiritual material provided by fds - Bible based material. Violence is part of this system, the Bible accurately recounts our sad history. The fds is visually recounting the Bible’s story. Who are we to question?

You can’t put that kind of negative slant on the food provided. It’s going to get you into trouble when something else in the Bible upsets your sensitivities.

I think it’s a warning for all of us to examine the bigger picture and think why has this information been provided? Why is it beneficial for me? How can I apply it? Not, ewww! This speech is shocking!

Agreed. We need to keep on guard against thinking, "This speech is shocking." Such is the thinking that sometimes leads to apostasy! Or, someone who is already an apostate and looking for a "reason" to leave the organization may use it as an excuse.

However, since Brother Lett took the time to address those concerns of some, we shouldn't assume that all who questioned it had bad motives.

22 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

it still boggles my mind that they can even question the spiritual material provided by fds 

I can imagine a few brothers or sisters approaching their elders and telling them that the movie scared/concerned/surprised/confused their child/student/guest/relative. The elder suggests they tell the CO/Branch/WHQ.

I can also imagine a few non-witnesses that viewed the movie at the RC or JWBroadcast writing letters to the Branch/WHQ.

I can imagine a lot of people doing that without questioning the biblical account or the spiritual material provided by the FDS.

We don't know what really happened but I'm glad the FDS addressed their concerns. 

6 minutes ago, Bro Richard said:

I can imagine a lot of people doing that without questioning the biblical account or the spiritual material provided by the FDS.

I don't think they necessarily had bad motives but it feels like someone who is irritatingly hyper righteous. The kind of brothers who are always telling you how wicked you are because you don't follow their self-established rules. Oversensitive net Witnesses, as Bob calls them.

When one is so extremely strict and overrighteous, they end up correcting Jehovah himself because he put so much violence in the Bible.

5 hours ago, carlos said:

I don't think they necessarily had bad motives but it feels like someone who is irritatingly hyper righteous. The kind of brothers who are always telling you how wicked you are because you don't follow their self-established rules. Oversensitive net Witnesses, as Bob calls them.

When one is so extremely strict and overrighteous, they end up correcting Jehovah himself because he put so much violence in the Bible.

Could be, however I wonder if the FDS would have bothered to address the issue if it was just over righteous people or trouble makers. I have to assume there were enough good hearted people asking the same question that the FDS felt moved to address it. Whatever happened, I personally find it easier to just let it go.

Love covers a multitude of misunderstandings..

Edited by Bro Richard

I like how brother Lett explained 1Cor 14:20..." Brothers, do not become young children in your understanding, but be young children as to badness; and become full-grown in your understanding.

The point he is making is; we should become childlike, not childish;

We should not be like a child when it comes to understanding,  and we should be like a child when it comes to badness:

He drew our attention to Hebrew 5:13,14...which focusses on immature feeding habits....cautioning us against negative traits we do well not to imitate;

"For everyone who continues to feed on milk is unacquainted with the word of righteousness, for he is a young child..But solid food belongs to mature people, to those who through powers of discernment trained to distinguish between right and wrong;"

Children have immature feeding habits....that's a negative trait they possess; they'd be content with just eating ice cream, candy, cookies, and other sweets for as long as they can...

In like manner, I do well to ask;

• What do my spiritual feeding habits reveal about us;
  • How do spend my free time?
  • Do I squander voluminous hours watching TV or reading material that provides little or no spiritual nutrition?
  • or do I make use of my free time to take in solid spiritual food?
  • When I read a new issue of the Watchtower, do I merely scan through it, looking at the few highlights, and then do something else?
  • do i take time to really meditate on the material (meditating is not day-dreaming), It is bridled, focused thought.

In light of the above, I note that I still have much ground to cover........and like a spiritual babe, I still need to grow to full adulthood.

Edited by Vido

I try to remember that adulthood, maturity or spiritual growth is not a goal but a life-long journey.  As in physical life, one might reach a "measure" of maturity but each person goes on adding to the experiences, knowledge and physical progress until they die.

As Paul reminded the Philippians, we must press on with progress we have made and add to it...❤️

Phil 3:16..."At any rate, to the extent we have made progress, let us go on walking orderly in this same course."

18 minutes ago, jwhess said:

I try to remember that adulthood, maturity or spiritual growth is not a goal but a life-long journey.  As in physical life, one might reach a "measure" of maturity but each person goes on adding to the experiences, knowledge and physical progress until they die.

As Paul reminded the Philippians, we must press on with progress we have made and add to it...❤️

Phil 3:16..."At any rate, to the extent we have made progress, let us go on walking orderly in this same course."

Noted brother John...i really appreciate the clarification.

On 5/13/2020 at 7:37 PM, Bro Richard said:

I can imagine a few brothers or sisters approaching their elders and telling them that the movie scared/concerned/surprised/confused their child/student/guest/relative. The elder suggests they tell the CO/Branch/WHQ.

I can also imagine a few non-witnesses that viewed the movie at the RC or JWBroadcast writing letters to the Branch/WHQ.

We don't know what really happened but I'm glad the FDS addressed their concerns. 

It's my opinion that most of the letters that were written were probably not written by our brothers but by others who are looking to stir up controversy or trying to troll the GB.

If there were indeed some who were offended, I hope the message from Bro Lett's talk got through to them.

My husband and I were also surprised by bro Lett’s talk. We grew up looking at my book of bible stories even at 3 or 4 years old, and then later reading them. I mean, the 4th or 5th lesson shows Abel dead with blood around him and Cain right there looking angry. Then the Nephilim being violent just a few lessons later.  And let’s not forget the picture of Jezabel, which isn’t violent really but definitely stayed in my mind what with the terrible makeup and facial expression 😁 And the story mentions how she was killed.

I was a huge scaredy cat as a kid...couldn’t watch Jurassic Park until I was like 8 or 9 lol but somehow I was never scared by those images/stories. I think because they weren’t scary just for the heck of it. There was a reason for it and my parents taught me why they happened and how Jehovah dealt with it. 

Not exactly on point, but I placed the Paradise book with a lady at the door and when I called back, she gave me the book back.  She had started looking through it and got to the end section of Revelation and was so scared she hid the book in a bottom drawer of her dresser until I came back.  She never talked to me again...🙂

James 1:19 Everyone must be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger.

Proverbs 14:17 The one who is quick to anger acts foolishly.

Ecclesiastes 5:2 Do not be quick with your mouth, nor let your heart speak rashly before the true God, for the true God is in the heavens but you are on the earth. 

Ecclesiastes 7:9 Do not be quick to take offense, for the taking of offense lodges in the bosom of fools.

Edited by Luigi62