JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Russia invades Ukraine

40 minutes ago, Sheep said:

he way I see it (personal thought), Mexico, Canada, Ukraine... are all names of countries, and so don't need the "the" in front. But US and UK are both combinations of words. Therefore, we say the United States of America, and the United Kingdom.

:thumbsup:

40 minutes ago, Sheep said:

I'm not too sure what to think of Shawn's example of the Netherlands though.

It's the same thing. The same as you say "the Highlands" you say "the Netherlands". It's a description more than a name. Or at least it was originally.

7 hours ago, Sofia said:

Maybe it’s not feasible legal to oust Russia from UN.

but UNGA may vote to change something in the UN charter to empower the nations and weaken the veto power.

Russian agency TASS stated:

https://tass.com/world/1415549/amp?utm_source=google.pt&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=google.pt&utm_referrer=google.pt

i wonder if it’s Russian propaganda 🤔

8D2B773B-261A-4866-949F-B2808F4D4F1B.jpeg

But they can't.. Russia would veto it. I posted a link to an article a few pages back that described a precedent for suspending a country from the UN.  They've done it before with Africa during apartheid. Maybe they could do that. Also it's been talked about that Russia isn't technically a member. It was the USSR that was the member. Ukraine even brought that up during one of the UN meetings. Seems like an easy out, of course they won't take it.

57 minutes ago, Sheep said:

But US and UK are both combinations of words.

As well as combinations of territories. 

The United States of America.  Comprised of 50 states (and other territories) 

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  Comprised of multiple regions that call themselves countries, and other territories. 

1 hour ago, trottigy said:

This said,

So, there couldn't have been a directive from the branch for all to leave.

That reminded me of this, different situations of course:

After much prayer and study of God’s Word, Joseph Rutherford saw clearly the reply he should give to the brothers in Germany. It was not for him to tell them what they should or should not do. They had God’s Word that clearly told them what they should do as to meeting together and witnessing. So the German brothers went underground but kept obeying Jehovah’s commands to meet together and to witness about his name and Kingdom.

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=1993084&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=32

Know this my beloved brothers, I am not a native English speaker.

Please be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger. (James 1:19)

Europe's largest nuclear power plant reportedly on fire after Russian troops attack https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/vladimir-putin-says-war-going-to-plan-as-france-fears-worst-yet-to-come-in-russia-ukraine-war/lizfsp5jv?cid=newsapp:socialshare:copylink

I hope it’s not true 😢

Edited by hatcheckgirl

Lucy, more reports are coming.....Russian army attacking nuclear power plant 'from all sides', Ukrainian Foreign Minister says

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba has called on Russia to end its attack on the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant. 

He says if the plant blows up, the effect will be "10 times larger than Chernobyl". It's important to note that this facility is far more advanced than Chernobyl, including in its safety infrastructure.

Posting to telegram, Mayor of nearby town Enerhodar Dmitri Orlov said he had received reports the first power unit of the station was under threat.

livestream of CCTV of the plant has shown heavy gunfire, flares and blazes throughout the plant in recent minutes.https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-04/russia-ukraine-war-invasion-updates/100880512

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

23 minutes ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Europe's largest nuclear power plant reportedly on fire after Russian troops attack https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/vladimir-putin-says-war-going-to-plan-as-france-fears-worst-yet-to-come-in-russia-ukraine-war/lizfsp5jv?cid=newsapp:socialshare:copylink

I hope it’s not true 😢

it´s true :facepalmpo2:fire is 150 m away from the 6th reactor, there are 6 of them. 

It produces 25% of all energy in Ukraine.

Edited by Sofia

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

24 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

Lucy, more reports are coming.....Russian army attacking nuclear power plant 'from all sides', Ukrainian Foreign Minister says

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba has called on Russia to end its attack on the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant. 

He says if the plant blows up, the effect will be "10 times larger than Chernobyl". It's important to note that this facility is far more advanced than Chernobyl, including in its safety infrastructure.

Posting to telegram, Mayor of nearby town Enerhodar Dmitri Orlov said he had received reports the first power unit of the station was under threat.

livestream of CCTV of the plant has shown heavy gunfire, flares and blazes throughout the plant in recent minutes.https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-04/russia-ukraine-war-invasion-updates/100880512

For now…

9AEEF352-FEBE-4987-B74A-1BBEE667CD20.jpeg

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

3 hours ago, Susan Cook said:

Nope… where did that come from?

I remember seeing someone say something to the affect - the Poland branch told people to leave. I might have totally misunderstood. I don't have time to look for that conversation as I was just skimming when I saw it anyway.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

https://www.foxnews.com/world/russian-victory-in-ukraine-would-be-complete-religious-freedom-catastrophe-human-rights-leader-warns

Pro-Putin breakaway regions have forced churches, mosques, and synagogues to reregister with authorities, using former houses of worship as military facilities

Edited by Sofia

5 hours ago, trottigy said:

I remember seeing someone say something to the affect - the Poland branch told people to leave. I might have totally misunderstood. I don't have time to look for that conversation as I was just skimming when I saw it anyway.

Misinformation. A Ukraine brother on here has refuted this.

The situation was not good under ukraniam authorities but will definitely get much worse under russian authorities.

That news from fox has the link for the original source of information, the "2020 Report on International Religious Freedom"

10 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

I hope it’s not true 😢

At least 2 sources, that could be one and the same, show that both sides have a different story.

Russia, spokesman for the Russian MOD: "horrible provocation was made by Kiev’s nationalist regime on the area surrounding the station,” he announced, claiming the Russian troops patrolling the territory had been attacked by a Ukrainian sabotage group."

Ukrania, President: "denied the provocation claims and accused Russian forces of having staged the attack."

About the fire: "The mayor of the nearby town of Energodar had originally reported that the fire had been caused by Russian shelling, and that the blaze had engulfed the power plant itself, but the emergency services dismissed the latter claim."

https://tahrir2day.com/news/2022/03/04/russian-mod-responds-to-zaporozhskaya-nuclear-power-station-incident/

ipsis verbis in RT or from RT

https://www.rt.com/russia/551210-russian-military-nuclear-station-incident/

13 hours ago, Shawnster said:

As well as combinations of territories. 

The United States of America.  Comprised of 50 states (and other territories) 

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  Comprised of multiple regions that call themselves countries, and other territories. 

To close this off-topic theme:

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

Last night a good portion of Europe could have been blown to pieces... Thank you Jehovah!

LIVE - UNSC meeting upon the nuclear plant threat last night:

Edited by Sofia

44 minutes ago, Sofia said:

Last night a good portion of Europe could have been blown to pieces

Those buildings are very strong beeing built by the soviets like true bunkers to sustain heavy damage and operate under dire conditions.

The weak point in the soviet design is in the reactor itself, if it was not retrofited yet.

Anyway the fighting was in the training bulding and apparently, a big apparently here, the reactor was never at danger.

58 minutes ago, Sofia said:

Last night a good portion of Europe could have been blown to pieces

Nah, the reactor blowing up would have been a bad Tchernobil, but we would not have been "blown to pieces", radiations would be the problem, not the explosion in itself.

Strong comments from Ukrainian

ambassador to the Russian ambassador at UNSC emergency meeting just now: 

Edited by Sofia

Kudos to him that he knows Satan was an angel. Lol

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

Breaking News: Russia blocked access to Facebook and threatened up to 15 years in prison for those who stray from the state narrative on the war in Ukraine.

The clampdown on free speech is more aggressive than at any other point in President Vladimir V. Putin’s 22 years in power

(source: The New York Times)

1 hour ago, Sofia said:

Breaking News: Russia blocked access to Facebook and threatened up to 15 years in prison for those who stray from the state narrative on the war in Ukraine.

The clampdown on free speech is more aggressive than at any other point in President Vladimir V. Putin’s 22 years in power

(source: The New York Times)

Well, despite portraying this war in coloration of justification, population of Russia will notice the drop in quality of life.

No Facebook, no International travel, no iPhones, no Nike, no IKEA, no Ford or many other cars (and the list can go on) 

I don’t think Putin can hide reality for long. War on this scale cannot be hidden by passing some regulations. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

54 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

Well, despite portraying this war in coloration of justification, population of Russia will notice the drop in quality of life.

No Facebook, no International travel, no iPhones, no Nike, no IKEA, no Ford or many other cars (and the list can go on) 

I don’t think Putin can hide reality for long. War on this scale cannot be hidden by passing some regulations. 

In Russia, us JW’s been suffering for at least five years and millions of more will follow.