JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"Stay" by E.K. Jonathan

Am halfway through with stay reading and I pretty much enjoy reading it until the idea of an angel. Oh c'mon that's facetious! Besides that, I really love his ideas of how the GT, the prior will play out and the significance of Matt 24.Oops, I'm afraid have giving too much info. So if there's one thing I learned from his book so far is that although we do our best to be obedient, expect the unexpected and trust in Jehovah's appointed ones taking the lead is genuinely important. The suspense is also what intrigues me most about his books. What a nice read so far.

12 hours ago, Dages said:

I'm writing my own now, but it won't be translated or even sold. It's more a personal exercice to help with my meditation

Am anticipating for this. Hope it's lit

I echo the same sentiment as you Brother Kayode! Even though I enjoyed the novel, I do concede the "rolling of the eyes" when this particularly dark character attempts to present himself as an "angel".  (IMO, this was the greatest deception in this scenario.)  As I was reading this part, I asked myself why would the author portray "James" in such a way when ultimately James' goal is to do permanent harm to others.  My personal thought is that, with STD being the greatest Deceiver of mankind, it's no surprise for us, as JW's, that his wicked influence permeates every facet of society everywhere in the world, so perhaps that same influence is incorporated into this STAY character. (I'm only guessing here!)

Similarly, there are deceivers (i.e., apostates and/or opposers in Jehovah's organization masquerading as JW's whose goals are to deceive and cause spiritually harm to Jehovah's people.)  And other than STD deceiving the First Woman, I believe there are other examples of deception(s) in the Scriptures (i.e. King Saul talking to "Samuel".)  1 Sam. 28:14-19.

It should be very interesting how all this pans out in the end! 

Edited by Omoyeme

Ummm....

I didn't like it. It seems the entire book was about the bad guys, violence, murder, chaos. I understand it's the writers perception of the GT but I think it unnecessarily focused on the things we are trying to avoid and forget. It was hard to remember that the story was supposed to be about our brothers. After reading the book I know more about kidnapping a woman and child or living in a bomb shelter than I want to know. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Ummm....

I didn't like it. It seems the entire book was about the bad guys, violence, murder, chaos. I understand it's the writers perception of the GT but I think it unnecessarily focused on the things we are trying to avoid and forget. It was hard to remember that the story was supposed to be about our brothers. After reading the book I know more about kidnapping a woman and child or living in a bomb shelter than I want to know. 

Exactly! 🙈🙉🙊

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

59 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Ummm....

I agree, but I'd like to see how the last book will be until I start rating his books. I don't like the idea of a brother going unconscious in Jehovah's safe place. It kinda seems surreal. Have seen brothers here talk about whether Jehovah will protect us doing the GT as per individual. It seems reasonable that things will unfold as did in the past. Events like Noah's flood, The passover, splitting of the red sea, fleeing of first century Christians. Jehovah no doubt saved them as a group but individually, he did his best to save them as long as the listened to instructions given to them.

Imagine an Israelite staying behind or decides to run back before the splitting of the red sea. He/she would no doubt face the devastating consequences of being attacked by pharaoh and his armies. So I believe our responsiveness to instructions will be the only factor that   guarantees how survival. If we listen, and obey instructions I am sure Jehovah will help and save us during the GT. But what if we die? Then that is a debt incurred on Jehovah's part and am certain he will remember and give us the best life in the new world. He will personally make sure we get stable and perhaps resurrect us early in the NS. In a billion years, our great crowd status won't matter anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2018 at 12:13 AM, Tortuga said:

Ummm....

I didn't like it. It seems the entire book was about the bad guys, violence, murder, chaos. I understand it's the writers perception of the GT but I think it unnecessarily focused on the things we are trying to avoid and forget.

I've been looking for a place to bring this up. This is as good a place as any. (Some spoilers)

There's been an undeniable change in the message from the GB over the past year. Not just the repeated warnings of 'so close', but a change in policy.

See, we've always been told about the New World, but dwell less so on the details of the GT, save for the broad points.

This year's Regional, has a whole session dedicated not only to Tribulation, but the thousand years after it. Think about that for a second. We're getting prepped for life AFTER A-Day. That's a first. That's never happened before.

At the same time, the Preaching Work has shifted. Things can't 'take time' anymore. After decades of warning us not to judge by appearances and not to let anything prejudice us in the witnessing work; we're now told to make a decision after one or two conversations. if there's no interest, move along. They're not trying to increase numbers; and the idea of 'planting a seed and letting it grow' is now matched with a straight up 'search and rescue' triage scenario.

I wonder if the reason is because the brothers are preparing us to say goodbye. My mom has a few calls that have shown no interest beyond having someone to chat to at their door once a month, but she keeps taking them mags, month after month. Pretty soon she won't be able to anymore, since they'll be rotating the same magazines over and over.

And EK Jonathan did a good job of explaining why in this book, with a sister who left the safety of the group, not out of stubbornness, or greed, or anything bad at all. Compassion can be used to lead us into a trap too. This? This period we're in right now is giving us a chance to get right about the people we know, once and for all.

Yes, this book is heavy. It has to be, given the subject matter; but bear in mind that the author has already given us two books about Paradise. 'And Then the end will come.'. We've been hanging onto the 'and then' for a long time, but now's the time we've got to start getting our heads around the immediate next step. Because it's going to be worse than anything that's come before.

30 minutes ago, Thomas Walker said:

And EK Jonathan did a good job of explaining why in this book, with a sister who left the safety of the group, not out of stubbornness, or greed, or anything bad at all. Compassion can be used to lead us into a trap too. This? This period we're in right now is giving us a chance to get right about the people we know, once and for all.

Yes, this book is heavy. It has to be, given the subject matter; but bear in mind that the author has already given us two books about Paradise. 'And Then the end will come.'. We've been hanging onto the 'and then' for a long time, but now's the time we've got to start getting our heads around the immediate next step. Because it's going to be worse than anything that's come before.

Personally I think the book would have been better if he had not even introduced the three non-witness characters. The sister could have mentioned she had a non-witness husband and just left it at that. There doesn't seem to be a good reason to develop his character and introduce his hired assassin and the paranoid business partner. Developing those three characters didn't do anything for the story line except introduce gratuitous violence.

I think he could have developed more story lines about things we could identify with such as aged parents, disfellowshipped children, bible students, etc...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, anniebea said:

Have you read the comments on Instagram accusing him of being an apostate !😱

I have, and I am far less concerned about EK Jonathan, as I am about the commentator.  The comments are hostile, and a lot of talk about 'defending Father.'  I don't judge books on internet comments; or I'd never read anything.

11 hours ago, Thomas Walker said:

I have, and I am far less concerned about EK Jonathan, as I am about the commentator.  The comments are hostile, and a lot of talk about 'defending Father.'  I don't judge books on internet comments; or I'd never read anything.

A shame, really. Comments on the internet, the plague.

22 hours ago, anniebea said:

Have you read the comments on Instagram accusing him of being an apostate !😱

22 hours ago, Thomas Walker said:

I have, and I am far less concerned about EK Jonathan, as I am about the commentator. 

How discouraging when some of our own brothers and sisters (Romans 14:1) "pass judgment on differing opinions." or (Proverbs 18:13) "replies to a matter before he hears the facts". They wouldn't be able to provide one example of Brothers 'Thomas Walker' and 'EK Jonathan' 'teaching another doctrine'. (Psalm 119:69) "The presumptuous smear me with lies, But I observe your orders with all my heart." I would hate to hear what presumptuous ones might think or say about the personal writings of brother 'Watchtower Writer in Japan' or sister 'Awake! Writer in Italy'. I don't understand why some people think that because we enjoy their writing, that we would blindly obey them, and in opposition to Jehovah at that?? We should want to be like the Beroeans, eagerness balanced with shrewdness. (Acts 17:11) "they accepted the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so." Not the Thessalonicans. (Acts 17:13) "they came there to incite and agitate the crowds."

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2018364
"Some brothers have been drawn into online debates and thus have brought added reproach on Jehovah’s name. An online forum is not an appropriate setting for “instructing with mildness those not favorably disposed.”
(2 Timothy 2:23-25) Further, reject foolish and ignorant debates, knowing that they produce fights. 24 For a slave of the Lord does not need to fight, but needs to be gentle toward all, qualified to teach, showing restraint when wronged, 25 instructing with mildness those not favorably disposed. Perhaps God may give them repentance leading to an accurate knowledge of truth,

Edited by Myew

1 hour ago, Dages said:

He probably is. But this book is a little bit too unrealistic. That's all. 

His previous books are great though.

I actually find all the books written by brothers to be good...  I just have to remember that they're fiction

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

4 hours ago, anniebea said:

...the whole thing about oil rigs etc was a bit far fetched,  still very much looking forward to the last in the series though

I had the same problem.  I did some research and found out that there are mobile oil rigs.  

1245227633_MobileOilRig.gif.66cab8f0db869b127266b1880577c639.gif

When they are drilling for oil, the pontoons are flooded to submerge the rig into the ocean a bit.

387944791_Floodedandsubmersed.gif.0ecb42cbb98f344c1bd79c605cfc3644.gif

When the pontoons are filled with air, the rig rises and it can travel all the way to Namibia.  

(https://www.ihrdc.com/els/ipims-demo/t36797/offline_IPIMS_s36804/resources/data/PE09.htm)

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif