JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

On 5/2/2021 at 11:46 PM, Mclove said:

https://news.yahoo.com/travel-restrictions-covid-epicenter-india-022532866.html

Mon, May 3, 2021,

Travel Restrictions From COVID Epicenter India Came ‘Weeks’ Too Late  

A cataclysmic rise in COVID-19 cases on the Indian subcontinent was allowed to spread for too long before the Biden administration issued restrictions on travel, public health experts warn, a decision that could make thwarting potentially vaccine-resistant variants of the disease even more difficult just as America crosses a major milestone in vaccinations.

“Travel restrictions should have been imposed much earlier,” Lawrence Gostin, a professor of global health law and director of the O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law at Georgetown University.

“We have known for some time of the crisis in India—including worrying variants.”

In fairness, Governments have two equally important issues they have to balance - physical health, and economic health. 

So when they are "slow" to impose restrictions, they are looking at the downsides of those restrictions, such as financial ruination which leads to poor mental health which has its own sets of issues like suicide which has seen a scary uptick in the last year in the US anyway.

They are in a TOUGH position as well, a position very few of us understand and appreciate. 

Remember that letter brothers read to congregations from branch and updates on JW.ORG, about prayfully consider before making rash decisions on venturing out if you got a vaccine?  

I may not have this down pat but it came up in discussion as experience in my field group this morning. 

Br. at the hall where this talk was given said to look at Noah after the flood.  Starting in Gen. 8:1-17

Jehovah started to dry off the earth Gen 8:1-5 (water decreasing). Noah or his family did not leave the ark.  Then after another 40 days, Noah sends out a Raven. If kept flying but came back to the ark.  Then Noah sent out a Dove, to check out if the waters were completely receded off the earth.  But the Dove, came back to the Ark. Seven more days go by (verse 10) Dove sent out and in verse (11) Dove comes back with a olive leaf.  So Noah knew that the waters had receded from the earth.  Now did he open up that door and come out and let all the animals out?  NO, more months went by till Jehovah to told him when it was safe for them to come out and release the animals.  

The sister said that some in the congregation, listened to the local authorities and federal about opening up and traveling. Some places outside and in, no need for a mask to cover your face.  (Ex. A Walmart in PA removed the Must Wear A Mask sign from entering).  Friends meeting at other's homes, with mask others none.  Even a few thinking they could go door to door for a brief moment.  The brother said Noah did not rush out when the Dove brought back a leaf.  He waited on Jehovah to tell him since he would know the condition of the earth and when it was the best time to leave the ark.  Gen. 8:15, was when Jehovah told Noah, "all right now, you can leave the ark, it's safe."

Wait on Jehovah to tell us when its truly safe to do so.  Not rely on worldly thinking when it's safe enough to venture out.   Branch letter said that PERHAPS, by August 1st, some restrictions may be lifted but we have to wait and see.   That's what I got out of this story this morning.  Hope this story doesn't offend anyone.  Please wait on Jehovah to let us know when it's safe to venture out in small groups, kingdom halls opening, field service outside door to door, taking your family on a plane or cruise on a ship.  Not going to stores that removed the mask wearing.  There were a few other things, but I didn't catch all. 

12 hours ago, Allabord4Jah said:

Remember that letter brothers read to congregations from branch and updates on JW.ORG, about prayfully consider before making rash decisions on venturing out if you got a vaccine?  

I may not have this down pat but it came up in discussion as experience in my field group this morning. 

Br. at the hall where this talk was given said to look at Noah after the flood.  Starting in Gen. 8:1-17

Jehovah started to dry off the earth Gen 8:1-5 (water decreasing). Noah or his family did not leave the ark.  Then after another 40 days, Noah sends out a Raven. If kept flying but came back to the ark.  Then Noah sent out a Dove, to check out if the waters were completely receded off the earth.  But the Dove, came back to the Ark. Seven more days go by (verse 10) Dove sent out and in verse (11) Dove comes back with a olive leaf.  So Noah knew that the waters had receded from the earth.  Now did he open up that door and come out and let all the animals out?  NO, more months went by till Jehovah to told him when it was safe for them to come out and release the animals.  

The sister said that some in the congregation, listened to the local authorities and federal about opening up and traveling. Some places outside and in, no need for a mask to cover your face.  (Ex. A Walmart in PA removed the Must Wear A Mask sign from entering).  Friends meeting at other's homes, with mask others none.  Even a few thinking they could go door to door for a brief moment.  The brother said Noah did not rush out when the Dove brought back a leaf.  He waited on Jehovah to tell him since he would know the condition of the earth and when it was the best time to leave the ark.  Gen. 8:15, was when Jehovah told Noah, "all right now, you can leave the ark, it's safe."

Wait on Jehovah to tell us when its truly safe to do so.  Not rely on worldly thinking when it's safe enough to venture out.   Branch letter said that PERHAPS, by August 1st, some restrictions may be lifted but we have to wait and see.   That's what I got out of this story this morning.  Hope this story doesn't offend anyone.  Please wait on Jehovah to let us know when it's safe to venture out in small groups, kingdom halls opening, field service outside door to door, taking your family on a plane or cruise on a ship.  Not going to stores that removed the mask wearing.  There were a few other things, but I didn't catch all. 

These discussions go on in my group as well, but I don't participate in them. Never have. And the reason is that when restrictions are lifted, it becomes a personal decision to venture out. I don't comment on people's personal choices as a matter of personal principle.

Those conversations DO start off as "wait on Jehovah" which is fine. But the longer they go on, they many times gradually turn into "we shouldn't travel" or "its not safe to eat at a restaurant" or we "shouldn't be doing X". Its only human nature, granted.

For example, we decided to travel last summer after restrictions were lifted, and choose to share a small part of our vacation. It was a long road trip. We immediately got questions about "why" were there, and even suggestions that we shouldn't be. The friends mean well. They want us to be safe. I respect that.

So since this pandemic has resulted in STRONG opinions on both side of the issue, I don't really talk about it with personal friends or members of my congregation. I don't tell people how I spend my time outside the home anymore. 

But I don't blame them. They are looking out for us. But the fact still remains, we have the freedom to choose how much activity outside the house we engage in. 

So, that's why I always respectfully decline to participate in those discussions in my group.

23 minutes ago, Bob said:

For example, we decided to travel last summer after restrictions were lifted, and choose to share a small part of our vacation. It was a long road trip. We immediately got questions about "why" were there, and even suggestions that we shouldn't be. The friends mean well. They want us to be safe. I respect that.

And some of us simply choose to not share, so we don't post pictures on social media and don't mention anything except to those we know won't be judgmental.  

Or we explain in detail - We rented a cabin in October that was contactless entry.  Check in and check out was handled over the phone or internet.  The key was placed in a location where we would not be around anyone else or could stay outside of 6 feet.  Staying at a cabin by ourselves is no different than staying at home by ourselves.

Same would hold true for an Air BnB.  Most of those were completely contactless even before the pandemic.  The key is left in a lock box and the combination is emailed or sent via text.  No receptionist, no cleaning staff.  Nobody.

And what's the difference getting a meal "to go" from a restaurant in a vacation spot vs. at home?  And, if one chooses to eat inside a restaurant, that is their decision.  Even at that, restaurants have spaced seating 6 feet apart, moved dining areas outside, etc...

But, yeah, can't ever go wrong by keeping your personal choices private.  

13 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

And some of us simply choose to not share, so we don't post pictures on social media and don't mention anything except to those we know won't be judgmental.  

Or we explain in detail - We rented a cabin in October that was contactless entry.  Check in and check out was handled over the phone or internet.  The key was placed in a location where we would not be around anyone else or could stay outside of 6 feet.  Staying at a cabin by ourselves is no different than staying at home by ourselves.

Same would hold true for an Air BnB.  Most of those were completely contactless even before the pandemic.  The key is left in a lock box and the combination is emailed or sent via text.  No receptionist, no cleaning staff.  Nobody.

And what's the difference getting a meal "to go" from a restaurant in a vacation spot vs. at home?  And, if one chooses to eat inside a restaurant, that is their decision.  Even at that, restaurants have spaced seating 6 feet apart, moved dining areas outside, etc...

But, yeah, can't ever go wrong by keeping your personal choices private.  

Yeah. I didn’t want to use the word “judgmental” but that’s what I felt it was. 

It’s a really sensitive issue that I deliberately avoid getting myself into in a FS group. 

I don’t want us getting upset at each other on personal choices because that’s a silly thing to be upset about, in my opinion.

16 hours ago, Allabord4Jah said:

These restrictions are specifically for Branch offices and special full-time servants, and they have good reason to be even more cautious (especially those living at the Branch offices, since they live in such close quarters with so many people) than others. I really appreciate that we’re still reminded/warned to be extremely cautious, more than secular authorities and our communities, but we are also not under the same restrictions that special full-time servants are. 

Personally I believe that the Governing Body will never tell us that it’s safe again to socialize in small groups or travel. They’re not here to make rules for us on every little thing in our personal lives. What they will do is wait to make changes to how theocratic activities are carried out, which makes sense since changes are made on a congregation, circuit, or regional basis and they don’t want to put vulnerable ones at risk.

And just as an example, a few couples who are fully vaccinated socializing outdoors is way different than families with young children (who can’t be vaccinated yet) socializing indoors with no ventilation or spacing. [side-note: a study found people are 19x more likely to be infected indoors vs. outdoors]. But I can’t see the GB ever specifying which of these situations is ok and which isn’t. These are personal decisions for the family heads to make. 

Edited by califlorican

5 hours ago, califlorican said:

These restrictions are specifically for Branch offices and special full-time servants, and they have good reason to be even more cautious (especially those living at the Branch offices, since they live in such close quarters with so many people) than others. I really appreciate that we’re still reminded/warned to be extremely cautious, more than secular authorities and our communities, but we are also not under the same restrictions that special full-time servants are. 

Personally I believe that the Governing Body will never tell us that it’s safe again to socialize in small groups or travel. They’re not here to make rules for us on every little thing in our personal lives. What they will do is wait to make changes to how theocratic activities are carried out, which makes sense since changes are made on a congregation, circuit, or regional basis and they don’t want to put vulnerable ones at risk.

And just as an example, a few couples who are fully vaccinated socializing outdoors is way different than families with young children (who can’t be vaccinated yet) socializing indoors with no ventilation or spacing. [side-note: a study found people are 19x more likely to be infected indoors vs. outdoors]. But I can’t see the GB ever specifying which of these situations is ok and which isn’t. These are personal decisions for the family heads to make. 

I agree with you 100%

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

Here´s a video - 25 minutes - published today in the NYTimes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/07/podcasts/the-daily/coronavirus-herd-immunity-vaccine.html?smtyp=cur&smid=fb-nytimes&fbclid=IwAR3hUiloGaPmWQWJdx9MusvZzFP0D1NfjcPlL0aO59TLtJc2Pu1yinfir7A

Herd immunity to the coronavirus has long been seen as a way out of the pandemic. Now, some experts believe that the U.S. may never reach the requisite level of immunity.
Why is the prospect of herd immunity fading? Listen the "link"

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

Normally the CO's would move on at the end of this service year, but we just got word that this is not happening, and we get to keep our CO for another year!.  Four years with the same CO, although two years will have been virtually.  Hoping we will get to have at least one more visit in person.

Is this happening elsewhere, or just the UK?

38 minutes ago, On the huh said:

Normally the CO's would move on at the end of this service year, but we just got word that this is not happening, and we get to keep our CO for another year!.  Four years with the same CO, although two years will have been virtually.  Hoping we will get to have at least one more visit in person.

They were going to know this week. We have our CO this week, so we will know this weekend.

3 minutes ago, Foxes53 said:

Here in the USA we just heard that our CO would be staying also because of no rotation this year.

I wonder if this is a global decision?

Ours is staying too, and his visit to us next week was to be his last.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

26 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Our CO is not staying. He will be 70 this year and plans to move back to Missouri at the end of this service year.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

9 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

It appears to be mostly a global decision. In Korea, we have received this announcement earlier than U.S. in last year, because our rotation was supposed to end then.

12 hours ago, On the huh said:

Yes, we keep our most excellent CO couple for another year. 🥰🥳

Here’s a hot one fer yah! Make sure your nurse doesn’t get distracted.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/italy-covid-vaccine-woman-six-doses-distracted-nurse-pfizer-shot-tuscany/

Rome — A 23-year-old Italian woman who was mistakenly given six doses of the Pfizer coronavirusvaccine all at once was released from a hospital on Monday without having suffered any apparent adverse reactions, local health authorities said. The incident occurred on Sunday morning at the Noa Hospital in Massa, in Tuscany.   

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

1 minute ago, Loopy said:

Male nurse?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Loopy said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/italy-covid-vaccine-woman-six-doses-distracted-nurse-pfizer-shot-tuscany/

Rome — A 23-year-old Italian woman who was mistakenly given six doses of the Pfizer coronavirusvaccine all at once was released from a hospital on Monday without having suffered any apparent adverse reactions, local health authorities said. The incident occurred on Sunday morning at the Noa Hospital in Massa, in Tuscany.   

oh what a waist ...:wall: