JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

Ohio ending Covid mask mandate June 2

Republican Gov. Mike DeWine says Ohio’s mask mandate and most other coronavirus-related state orders will end on June 2, allowing three weeks for more people to get vaccinated before then.

He said Wednesday that applies to all of the state’s Covid-19 orders — such as distancing in restaurants and the mask mandate — except those for nursing homes and other long-term care facilities. However, he noted that stores and businesses still may require customers to be masked.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/12/ohio-ending-covid-mask-mandate-june-2-sets-up-vaccine-incentives.html

22 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Ohio ending Covid mask mandate June 2

Republican Gov. Mike DeWine says Ohio’s mask mandate and most other coronavirus-related state orders will end on June 2, allowing three weeks for more people to get vaccinated before then.

He said Wednesday that applies to all of the state’s Covid-19 orders — such as distancing in restaurants and the mask mandate — except those for nursing homes and other long-term care facilities. However, he noted that stores and businesses still may require customers to be masked.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/12/ohio-ending-covid-mask-mandate-june-2-sets-up-vaccine-incentives.html

That’s a more practical way to sell people on the vaccine than a lottery that 1 out of almost a million people could win, IMO. 

From NY Times:
Covid Live Updates:
Deaths Could Be 2 to 3 Times Higher Than Recorded, W.H.O. Says

I'm sure NY Times still gives free access to Covid-19 news:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/05/21/world/covid-vaccine-coronavirus-mask?campaign_id=154&emc=edit_cb_20210521&instance_id=31378&nl=coronavirus-briefing&regi_id=83729275&segment_id=58742&te=1&user_id=1e518bbbdae79eaae8caa3f078cbb8f2#who-covid-deaths-excess 
"Some six to eight million people may have died from Covid-19 or related causes since the start of the pandemic, the organization said, a figure far higher than the official toll of about 3.4 million."
Old (Downunder) Tone

20 hours ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

From NY Times:
Covid Live Updates:
Deaths Could Be 2 to 3 Times Higher Than Recorded, W.H.O. Says

I'm sure NY Times still gives free access to Covid-19 news:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/05/21/world/covid-vaccine-coronavirus-mask?campaign_id=154&emc=edit_cb_20210521&instance_id=31378&nl=coronavirus-briefing&regi_id=83729275&segment_id=58742&te=1&user_id=1e518bbbdae79eaae8caa3f078cbb8f2#who-covid-deaths-excess 
"Some six to eight million people may have died from Covid-19 or related causes since the start of the pandemic, the organization said, a figure far higher than the official toll of about 3.4 million."
emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

Oh absolutely the death toll is much higher. China’s alone is much higher than what they claimed.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/true-toll-of-wuhan-infections-may-be-nearly-10-times-official-number-chinese-researchers-say-1.5247063

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200608/Cremation-numbers-reveal-possible-suppression-of-true-COVID-19-data-in-China.aspx

Edited by califlorican

I was thinking, and I know very little about statistics, but 17,000 deaths among us seemed high to me. So at first I thought, is it us? But really, it seems more and more like the reports coming in from the world around us are incorrect. Am I missing something?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 5/22/2021 at 1:06 PM, Thesauron said:

I was thinking, and I know very little about statistics, but 17,000 deaths among us seemed high to me. So at first I thought, is it us? But really, it seems more and more like the reports coming in from the world around us are incorrect. Am I missing something?

The number reported from update # 4 of 17,000 JWs who've died comes from the local field service group overseers who report to the CoBEs who reports to the COs who reports to the branches. This number is likely very accurate. I know I have reported about those in my Service Group that became ill. I would not have told them a person who died in a car accident, but was COVID positive, died from COVID. I can't imagine any other elder doing that either.

I too found it very high, but I am certain it is accurate. 

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

On 5/22/2021 at 9:06 PM, Thesauron said:

In some countries it’s possibly not as easy to keep yourself safe.

I imagine in those countries the rates may be higher.

Remember it was mentioned that 400 deaths were in Brazil alone in the last month and 10 times the deaths and infections in India. 
In countries like the one I live in it’s generally easier to keep safer. Plus there is easier access to having the choice of vaccination here. 

Edited by Mykyl

In some countries it’s possibly not as easy to keep yourself safe.
I imagine in those countries the rates may be higher.
Remember it was mentioned that 400 deaths were in Brazil alone in the last month and 10 times the deaths and infections in India. 
In countries like the one I live in it’s generally easier to keep safer. Plus there is easier access to having the choice of vaccination here. 

Yes, but don’t you think it still seems a bit high?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

15 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Richard pointed out in another topic that 17,000 out of 8 million people is lower than the global average. 

You may wish to chech his math. 

Global is 0.05, so we seems to be 4 times higher than the global. So maybe the global isn't accurate (that's what I think, especially with China)

Edited by Dages

31 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

You right my brother. I was told about 3 months ago that the numbers for global could be much higher.

So, now, let's consider the global number 3,5 millions... x4, that's 14 millions deaths... minimum...

Let's be logical : We are super careful, and we get these numbers... 
The world is crazy, and they get 4 times less ? Something is weird here.

Edited by Dages

** New Study Estimates More Than 900,000 People Have Died Of COVID - 19 In U.S.  **

Headlines similar to this have been reported on many different news sources.  

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/05/06/994287048/new-study-estimates-more-than-900-000-people-have-died-of-covid-19-in-u-s

Another article...

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/covid-19-updates

Personally, I do believe the numbers are much higher than reported including here in the states.  Now whether there are as high as the the first link- I don't know.  But it certainly would explain 17,000 in comparison to  the world

Edited by Polka Dot

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

No. Unfortunately I don’t. 

I mean, even taking into account the deaths in India and Brazil, the percentage of deaths reported secularly do not reach the numbers we find in our organisation. We are (1) careful and take precautions, and (2) very careful when reporting deaths to the branch. The world is none of these things.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

2 hours ago, Dages said:

So, now, let's consider the global number 3,5 millions... x4, that's 14 millions deaths... minimum...

Let's be logical : We are super careful, and we get these numbers... 
The world is crazy, and they get 4 times less ? Something is weird here.

I know 3 things:

- The GB statistics are more trustworthy because they are in fear of God and are honest.

- The world (lying in the power of the wicked one) may have their statistics influenced by politics, etc.

- In general, we as JW's, taught by Jehovah, are more careful than the average person. 

So I can infer one main point:

That the world's death toll statistics are under-reported. 

3 hours ago, Shawnster said:

Richard pointed out in another topic that 17,000 out of 8 million people is lower than the global average. 

You may wish to chech his math. 

I am sorry Shawn.  The topic merge and the multiple quotes confused me.  Who's math needs checking?  Mine, Richard's, the totals, the percentages, the ratios?  It is probably not important...😎

19 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

I mean, even taking into account the deaths in India and Brazil, the percentage of deaths reported secularly do not reach the numbers we find in our organisation. We are (1) careful and take precautions, and (2) very careful when reporting deaths to the branch. The world is none of these things.

Which suggests that the worlds deaths are much higher than are being reported. 

26 minutes ago, M.J. said:

I know 3 things:

- The GB statistics are more trustworthy because they are in fear of God and are honest.

- The world (lying in the power of the wicked one) may have their statistics influenced by politics, etc.

- In general, we as JW's, taught by Jehovah, are more careful than the average person. 

So I can infer one main point:

That the world's death toll statistics are under-reported. 

T H I S :ok: 

2 hours ago, jwhess said:

I am sorry Shawn.  The topic merge and the multiple quotes confused me.  Who's math needs checking?  Mine, Richard's, the totals, the percentages, the ratios?  It is probably not important...😎

Mine, apparently. But I was directing @Thesauronto comments and research from @Tortuga