JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

11 hours ago, Shawnster said:

A source, a link to a website is much preferred over a screen shot. 

Here is a source, a link. https://www.adn.com/opinions/national-opinions/2023/01/08/opinion-the-coronavirus-is-speaking-its-saying-its-not-done-with-us/

The above opinion was written by Eric Topol and distributed by various news outlets. 

I only had the screenshot Eric published on twitter. Not the link. Thank you for that :)

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

1 hour ago, Paul20 said:

You're correct it does seem to be rare. 

But if you're unlucky enough to get any heart symptoms it's best not to ignore it or brush it off. Especially if you're in the higher risk category of young males. There was a widely publicised case here in New Zealand of a young man who ignored symptoms for two weeks and unfortunately ended up dead.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2022/09/20/myocarditis-caused-by-covid-vaccine-led-to-dunedin-mans-death-coroner/

Scary...my son said exacty the same thing after his vaccination, and he had pain in his left hand and a fever.

From the article.. 

"During the inquest, the court heard Nairn woke twice on the night he died complaining of a weird feeling in his chest."

39 minutes ago, zoebarry said:

The survival rate for myocarditis is 80% one year after having it and 50% five years later.

Probably because the human heart has very limited ability to repair itself. 

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/cardiovascular-disease-why-adults-hearts-dont-regenerate

The science behind why adults’ hearts don’t regenerate

• While skin, bone, and other tissues in the human body can repair themselves after injury, the heart lacks this ability.
  • Using a mouse model, researchers from the University of Pittsburgh Medical Centre investigated how heart cells communicate, involving cellular signals.
  • They found that the number of communication pathways decreases as heart cells mature in mice. This process may have evolved to protect the heart from stresses, but at the same time may also prevent the heart from having the ability to regenerate.

Thank you for your link, Sister Grace.  I hadn't realised the prevalence of getting myocarditis.  So many more reasons it develops that the one that grabs the headlines.

From the article:

Many times, the cause of myocarditis is unknown. Most often, the cause is a viral infection. These include:

• Flu.
  • Herpes virus six.
  • Adenovirus.
  • Coxsackie virus.
  • Parvovirus B19.
  • SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19).

Other causes of myocarditis include:

• Bacteria.
  • Fungi (rarely).
  • Chagas disease.
  • Rheumatic fever.
  • Autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis or lupus.
  • Things you’re exposed to, such as radiation or heavy metals.

Side effects from some medicines can bring about myocarditis. These medicines include:

• Medicines for your heart.
  • Antidepressants.
  • Medicines for seizures.
  • Antibiotics.
  • Medicines for weight loss.
  • Diuretics.
  • Benzodiazepines.
  • Medicines for psychiatric problems.

Myocarditis and the COVID-19 vaccine
In rare cases, myocarditis has happened in young people who received the Pfizer-BioNTech® or Moderna® vaccines for COVID-19. Symptoms can start during the first week after receiving the vaccine. Most people who have this reaction to the COVID-19 vaccine recover quickly after treatment and can get back to their regular activities when they feel better. However, if you’ve had myocarditis, you should check with a cardiologist before exercising again.

The CDC considers COVID-19 a greater risk than the risk of rare side effects of the vaccine. They recommend the vaccines for young people.

Article: "These two mutations maintain the high level of immune escape of XBB"

On 1/8/2023 at 9:29 PM, SUNRAY said:

I have a question ~ If XBB.1.5 evades the immune system, how is getting boosted goung to help?

It evades immunity that you developed from the original vaccine or the early strains that were infecting people. 

The original vaccine was created to target the Wuhan strain, and did an excellent job. Then came Delta, which got around immunity from previous vaccines/infections. Then came Omicron, which did an even better job at evading your immunity. Now we have subvariants XBB and now XBB 1.5, which evade your previous immunity even better.

In early September, the bivalent booster vaccines were made available. This new vaccine/booster is designed to target the Omicron strain in addition to the original Wuhan strain (which all these are decendants of). Since XBB and XBB 1.5 are subvariants of Omicron, getting the new bivalent vaccine will help you. 

Most people have not got the new bivalent vaccine, and are relying on their original vaccines to keep them safe. But the body sees XBB as something new instead of being like "AHA! I recognize you, and this how I get rid of you quickly".

But since XBB is a subvariant of Omicron, and the bivalent vaccine (or a previous Omicron infection) taught your body how to fight Omicron, then when XBB enters your body it's like "Hey stranger, who are you?" and then after a short while says "You kind of look familiar. I think I met your cousin before, and this is how I dealt with him". lol.

CarnivoreTalk.com - my health coaching website. youtube.png/@CarnivoreTalk - My latest YouTube project

3 hours ago, zoebarry said:

The survival rate for myocarditis is 80% one year after having it and 50% five years later.

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/22129-myocarditis

Sure, if you have a chronic/severe case of myocarditis that actually damages the heart. The article you reference specifically refers to viral myocarditis. Non-viral myocarditis is a different diagnosis and has a near 100% survival rate.

Even with viral myocarditis, it depends on the severity. Was it acute or severe? Was it caught early or did you put off seeking medical attention?

"Patients with acute fulminant myocarditis have an excellent long-term prognosis of 93% at 11 years once they survive the acute illness." 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK459259/

And while that article above was published in late 2022, here's one from 2017, long before we had Covid-19 and anti-vaxx whackadoodles peddling their fear and misinformation....

"Myocarditis... often relieves without leaving serious after effects."

"Mild, uncomplicated myocarditis is usually not serious and often treated successfully."

"Viral myocarditis, for example, is usually mild and doesn’t lead to serious complications"

https://www.healthclop.com/myocarditis-recovery-heal/

Acute myocarditis after vaccination is rare. And in most cases, it will resolve without any long term consequences. It's certainly something to be aware of, like @Paul20 mentioned, especially if you are a young male, but it's definitely not a good reason not to get vaccinated. 

CarnivoreTalk.com - my health coaching website. youtube.png/@CarnivoreTalk - My latest YouTube project

18 hours ago, Brother_Bliss said:

Sure, if you have a chronic/severe case of myocarditis that actually damages the heart. The article you reference specifically refers to viral myocarditis. Non-viral myocarditis is a different diagnosis and has a near 100% survival rate.

Even with viral myocarditis, it depends on the severity. Was it acute or severe? Was it caught early or did you put off seeking medical attention?

"Patients with acute fulminant myocarditis have an excellent long-term prognosis of 93% at 11 years once they survive the acute illness." 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK459259/

And while that article above was published in late 2022, here's one from 2017, long before we had Covid-19 and anti-vaxx whackadoodles peddling their fear and misinformation....

"Myocarditis... often relieves without leaving serious after effects."

"Mild, uncomplicated myocarditis is usually not serious and often treated successfully."

"Viral myocarditis, for example, is usually mild and doesn’t lead to serious complications"

https://www.healthclop.com/myocarditis-recovery-heal/

Acute myocarditis after vaccination is rare. And in most cases, it will resolve without any long term consequences. It's certainly something to be aware of, like @Paul20 mentioned, especially if you are a young male, but it's definitely not a good reason not to get vaccinated. 

I wish y'all would stop calling people with reservations about the vaxx "wackadoodles" and all kinds of derogatory names. It's ridiculous and uncalled for. A lot of people are going on the words of medical doctors, not random YouTube videos. Just stop. 

There are 4 people other than my family that are sick in the bed with COVID right now and they have all their shots and boosters. My family don't have any shots and we had a few days of sickness. We are much better now. There is a congregation near me where so many are down bad with it they had to cancel the meeting and a couple are in the hospital. From what I've been told, they have shots and boosters. Enough is enough with this. Just make a decision and let others make theirs without making them feel like idiots.

Edited by runner92

3 minutes ago, runner92 said:

I wish y'all would stop calling people with reservations about the vaxx "wackadoodles" and all kinds of derogatory names. It's ridiculous and uncalled for. A lot of people are going on the words of medical doctors, not random YouTube videos. Just stop. 

I understand what you are saying but I understood his comment differently than you did. I don't believe he is saying that everyone with reservations about vaccines is spreading false information but there are some that definitely are. He was referring to the group that are intentionally spreading misinformation.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

I understand what you are saying but I understood his comment differently than you did. I don't believe he is saying that everyone with reservations about vaccines is spreading false information but there are some that definitely are. He was referring to the group that are intentionally spreading misinformation.

I don't think most people have reservations because they believe crazy theories. Again, they're going on the words of doctors and reactions they personally have seen or had people tell them. I know a few Witnesses who haven't gotten boosters because of reactions to the first 2 shots. It's not in everyone's head, and it's not false information. If someone decides to not take the vaccine based on that, there's nothing wrong with them. The bottom line is people need to stop making them out to be crazy and that the reactions are "no big deal" and not a reason to refuse the shot. If you're comfortable taking the risk, then that's fine, but that doesn't make people who choose the opposite crazy. 

Well personally I worry about my son eating Fire Cheetos ,drinking Mt Dew and Red Bulls ...I'm a mother, not a conspiracy theorist.I worry about my sons health and when a boy he went to school with died in his sleep after he got vaccinated I was horrified. He was 22 years old. A sister in my cong told me her grandson was diagnosed with myocarditis after his vaccination and now he takes heart meds at 21. 

People ask me if I'm vaccinated before I accept an invitation to their house for dinner but when someone drops dead I can't ask "We're they vaccinated or boostered?"

My brother in law dropped dead in his living room Dec 2021. His doctor told my sister it was 'vaccine related.' His doctor said he had 4 other cases just like him, and the Paramedics first question when they came to pick up his dead body off the floor "When was his last booster?" 

I'm not reading crap off the internet, these are people I know.

Why can't I freely discuss this issue? Are others seeing such things? 

11 minutes ago, Kitty said:

others seeing such things? 

I have soooo many articles and "evidence". No local examples though.

Only thing I can say is our shot location randomly would hurt, even a year after getting it. Other than that, wife felt miserable a day or two after getting it. I was fine.  And allegedly we got one of the "worst"  batches of J&J.

I have a working theory on that though. One of the biggest alleged protections against COVID & the vaccine is Zinc. Turns out I had so much Zinc in my system, it was showing up on a heavy metals test. Could be why I had no side effects and why all the times we caught COVID it was mild, until recently. 

Recently I stopped taking Tums for heartburn because I fixed my heartburn. Tums has zinc. So do many common medications. So perhaps that's why this most recent illness (probably COVID, can't confirm though) was way worse. So I have a theory (not thoroughly tested) that we see more side effects in younger people due to less medicine being taken by them...

Would be cool if that theory could ever be tested and proven.... 

New @NIH study on reinfections

“Overall, results indicated that the severity of SARS-CoV-2 reinfections was similar to those of the initial infection… & the number of #LongCovid diagnoses also showed an increase after reinfections with recent variants.”
https://t.co/YFQyTRRK8z

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

13 hours ago, runner92 said:

If someone decides to not take the vaccine based on that, there's nothing wrong with them

No, there is nothing wrong with them. We all have the right to decide for ourselves what is the best course of medical treatment for us.  No one has the right to make us feel wrong for our decision. 

Ones who have researched the facts properly and have made an informed decision to not be vaccinated handle their decision with maturity and do not force their opinions or decisions on others. 

Otheres display an immature and disruptive attitude.  They act as if it is their mission to expose the real or imagined ills of the vaccine.  These ones are negative and only share or repeat negative sites and articles that confirm their anti vaccine bias. They are willing to promote the lies and twisted half truths that are rampant online. It is clear from their pattern of conduct these ones are not open to an honest discussion or interchange of ideas but, instead, are only interested in sowing doubt and mistrust of the established and recommended advice promoted by the global medical community.  These individuals will repeat the "wait and see" mantra as they anticipate a sudden and massive negative reaction to the vaccine that will cause millions of people to be sick or injured as a result of the vaccine, thus proving their ant vax stance to have been the wisest choice that everyone should have followed to begin with. These ones will even reach the point of throwing shade at Christ's brothers in the Governing Body by reminding us these faithful men are imperfect, do not offer medical advice, are not inspired by God, and have made mistakes in the past and, therefore, the GB's positive lead on vaccinations is worthless. 

On this board the only vaccine "arguments" are the result of those with an anti vax agenda ringing the bell each time they share a website that supports their bias.  This triggers others to fight back with pro vaccine counterpoints, sometimes in an effort to point out the deception found in some of those websites.  The end result is this 3 year old wedge gets pushed ever deeper. 

If anyone makes the informed decision to avoid this (or any) vaccine, they should own the decision, hold their head high, and be proud of their choice.  At the same time, this isn't a green light for such ones to constantly promote anti vax propaganda with the apparent sole intent of "proving" that this vaccine is evil, nothing but trouble, and will only cause long term injury on those who accepted it. 

Edited by Shawnster

Anti vaxx can be unreasonable.

But

Pro vaxx can be unreasonable aswell.

All i see from the beginning is the governing body nevermandated and made it an unwritten law.

Some feel that way and want to say "the fsithful and discreet slave".  True the organization is vaccine friendly... More that cieser mandates though imo... But thebrothers nevermandated.

But theres a camp that wants shame the unvaxx and they are never chastised... Only those who choose not to vaxx.

Kind of a double standard.

No denying both the virus and the vaccine is harming poeple.  Fullfills the prophecy about plagues no doubt.

15 minutes ago, vern said:

Pro vaxx can be unreasonable aswell.

Yes.  There is the tendency for pro vax to knee-jerk respond to each poke and every prod an anti vax comment makes.  It takes two to argue but, as the Bible says, where there is no wood, the fire goes out. Jesus did not respond to every negative comment no matter how much he disagreed with the person. 

Likewise, there is a tendency to use the words and examples of the Governing Body as a weapon in some of these arguments.  While we want to follow the example and lead the GB sets, we don't want to use their example as a club. 

Many have so many concerns about COVID-19, so it makes sense for it to cause worry for both the vaccinated as well as the unvaccinated. Of course it's normal to be concerned about protecting our health. The decisions we individually make or not make is based on our own situations, health considerations, personal views even fears and also past experiences. For some who have that additional burden of underlying health conditions, there is that need for extra caution and information.

As many have done, it's important to weigh those concerns out with a family doctor, and not necessarily what some person writes or says online, including quoting from studies, reports and opinions, as they are subject to change. What's nice about going to your personal doctor is that he or she doesn't give you advice based on their own good or bad experiences with the vaccine, but instead (hopefully) gives you medical advice based on your individual and complete health history in order for YOU to make an informed choice. Once decided, no one should feel bad at making that personal choice, too.

Knowing that the decision was made completely based on a person's individual circumstances, there is no need to defend the why's, or explain the validity of such a decision, or somehow convince others why they should follow in your same footsteps in order to "help" them make the "right decision." What is right for you, isn't going to be right for everybody else. What maybe a life saver for someone, maybe life threatening to another. You could say that it's like making a choice between the lesser of 2 evils. As there is a risk on not just on one side, but on both sides. These risks can also be debated and debated until the end of the disease...or until paradise.

The one thing, though, that we can be sure of is what the ap. Paul said in Phil.4:6,7:

Do not be anxious over anything,+ but in everything by prayer and supplication along with thanksgiving, let your petitions be made known to God;+ and the peace+ of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts+ and your mental powers by means of Christ Jesus.

From the gems:

As long as our prayers are in harmony with God’s will, they may embrace virtually every facet of life. A Christian may feel free to talk to Jehovah about his inmost feelings, needs, fears, and anxieties.—Mt 6:9-13;

If this affects our personal service to Jehovah, then this is definitely something to address in prayer. Verse 7 is particularly comforting too in this regard.

But we have to remember our motivations for why we post the things we do, and that not everything written out there is a one size fits all answer. But for those who truly have concerns, and err towards the anti side, then isn't there a thread that was started on jwtalk that allows that discussion to occur? Then for those who are pro-vaccine, it won't come way out of left field to read something that is mostly meant for those preferring not to vaccinate. Plus no need for the anti-vaxx to speak against those who do vaccinate by supplying article after article (which I haven't seen being propogated from pro-vaccine individuals), as these ones in most cases do not need affirmation for their decisions, either.

- Read the Bible daily 

Phil.2:5

Bivalent vaccine boosters work well to prevent severe Covid, as manifest by reduction of hospitalizations and deaths. They are not a panacea, by any means—their efficacy against infections is limited and of short duration, which has been the case for shots since the Omicron variant came along in late 2021.

The spike protein of the BA.5 bivalent more closely resembles XBB.1.5 than the Wuhan ancestral spike. The lab studies with live virus assays are strongly supportive. The clinical data are unequivocal. While it would be far better to have a “universal” pan-β-coronavirus vaccine that worked against all SARS-CoV-2 variants, and nasal vaccines to help block infections, the bivalent BA.5 booster has helped to bridge the big antigenic distance gap from the Wuhan strain to current Omicron subvariants. We’re lucky in the United States to have a big supply and it’s frankly disappointing to see the divisiveness, cherry picking of data, and detractors that defy the body of evidence that has now accumulated. The bivalent booster impact of broadening our immune response has exceeded expectations.

Source: https://erictopol.substack.com/p/the-bivalent-vaccine-booster-outperforms?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=587835&post_id=95928122&isFreemail=true&utm_medium=email

On 1/10/2023 at 8:48 PM, runner92 said:

I wish y'all would stop calling people with reservations about the vaxx "wackadoodles" and all kinds of derogatory names. It's ridiculous and uncalled for.

I don't. 

"Are Jehovah’s Witnesses Opposed to Vaccination?

No. Jehovah’s Witnesses are not opposed to vaccination."

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/jw-vaccines-immunization/

Jehovah's Witnesses are not anti-vaxxers. Therefore, there are no anti-vaxxers on JWTalk. And as Jehovah's Witnesses, the Staff has a responsibility to not allow misinformation and lies to go unchallenged.

On 1/10/2023 at 8:55 PM, Tortuga said:

he is saying that everyone with reservations about vaccines is spreading false information but there are some that definitely are. He was referring to the group that are intentionally spreading misinformation.

Yes, and that group is conspiracy-driven anti-vaxxers who have their own websites or blogs or talk shows and use them as a vehicle to peddle misinformation and fear. When that misinformation and fear finds it's way onto our forums, which is bound to happen because we are only human, imperfect, and easily persuaded, then as moderators who overseee a community of people who are supposed to stand for truth, we have to address it.

That Cleveland Clinic quote taken out of context is an excellent example. I've seen this quote used in arguments from anti-vaxxers before. They use it to scare people and mislead them about the vaccines that have proven to be effective and generally safe, implying that 20% of people who get non-viral myocarditis from the vaccine die within a year and half of them will be dead in 5 years. This is simply untrue.