JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

Here is how contagious Covid-19 is.

95 attended a 3 day religous event in Malaysia.

Subsequently, 2 were diagnosed with the corona virus in Singapore yesterday.
12 in Malaysia.
11 in Brunei.

The Jhor Qudamak Malaysia 2020 event took place between Feb 28 and Mar 1 at the Seri Petaling Mosque in Selangor.

Malaysia's health ministry has estimated that 10,000 people from several countries attended the event.

Malaysia is tracking the 5,000 of its citizens who attended the event.

The 95 Singaporeans were among more than 1,500 foreign attendees, which included almost 700 Indonesians and more than 200 Filipinos, Malaysian media reported.

All mosques in Singapore to be closed for deep cleaning for 5 days.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/moh-95-singaporeans-religious-gathering-malaysia-covid-19-12530660?cid=h3_referral_inarticlelinks_24082018_cna

https://time.com/5799964/coronavirus-face-mask-asia-us/

An interesting article about why some people wear masks and some dont. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/12/coronavirus-fear-psychology-powerlessness-toilet-paper-sanitizer/5010095002/

The facts on coronavirus aren't all scary. So why are we so afraid?

"As the number of confirmed cases of illness caused by the coronavirus grows, so too does the nation's collective uncertainty. Psychologists and public health experts say public anxiety is high, and it's largely fueled by a feeling of powerlessness. "

"When we feel, 'Oh my God, there's a new boogeyman out there,' it comes with extra fear," said David Ropeik, an expert on risk communication. "When we don't understand something that leaves us feeling like we don't know everything we need to know to protect ourselves and that equates to powerlessness, vulnerability."

"Uncertainty about the nature and trajectory of the threat exacerbates a feeling of not being in control."

"Even as confirmed cases of the virus increase, the more people learn, the better they'll feel."

10 minutes ago, Dustparticle said:

Are they cleaning the Hall?

Presumably.  They got the same letter from the branch as everyone else about sanitizing beforehand.  And my son's congregation just recently steam cleaned their carpeting.

3 hours ago, JennyM said:

now 62 cases in.my country ..panic buying of alcohol..An elderly died and one doctor found positive..

3 hours ago, Zebra555 said:

Hello Jenny.

Where is your country, if you can tell us?

Jenny lives in the Philippines, even though she just puts a short form of it in her profile.

https://www.wired.com/story/coronavirus-memes-humor/

Is It OK to Make Coronavirus Memes and Jokes?

Humor can relieve anxiety; it can also stoke racial tensions or spread misinformation. So, the answer isn't simple. 

bottom line:

"As long as they aren’t stoking racial tensions or spreading misinformation, it’s hard to begrudge anyone a coronavirus quip. “The ability to joke around with strangers online or people at the store, it makes me feel more human,” says Viveca Greene, who studies dark humor at Hampshire College. “People are being encouraged to be hypervigilant and stay six feet away from people, so they’re finding all these other ways to connect and communicate.” Frankly, people need something warm and intangible to hold onto right now—they’ve been warned away from touching everything else."

The door to door ministry and public ministry are cancelled in my area for now.

My dilemma right now is work. My current job is going door to door to help people get off the expensive PG&E utility and switch to utilizing solar by using our free solar panels.

If it’s dangerous enough to cancel the ministry, isn’t it dangerous enough to stop work? My employer hasn’t said to stop, I think they waiting until the authorities say so.  In the meantime, we have meetings twice a week with about 20-30 people, and I’m starting to wonder if I should go or not, these meetings are MANDATORY.