JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

5 hours ago, Hope said:

We must each do our best not to offload it onto others... 🤨

Everyone’s on edge because of their own experiences, surroundings, health matters, so no matter what decision we have made, we have to be alert not to let off steam on either side. Even if it’s not directed to anyone here on the forum.

to your knowledge self-control, to your self-control endurance, to your endurance godly devotion,  7 to your godly devotion brotherly affection, to your brotherly affection love.-2 Peter 1:6, 7

Do not be quick to take offense - Ecclesiastes 7:9, 

- Read the Bible daily 

Phil.2:5

So when I read something, doI think they are talking about me? If not, then it’s probably for the best not to worry about it. From the research guide from Matthew 7:1:

The first-century Pharisees judged others harshly, in keeping with unscriptural traditions. Any of Jesus’ listeners who did that were to “stop judging.” Instead, they were to “keep on releasing,” that is, forgiving the shortcomings of others. The apostle Paul gave similar counsel regarding forgiveness, as noted above.

- Read the Bible daily 

14 minutes ago, Woanders said:

Everyone’s on edge because of their own experiences, surroundings, health matters, so no matter what decision we have made, we have to be alert not to let off steam on either side. Even if it’s not directed to anyone here on the forum.

I'm not offended by anyone nor on edge,  honestly.  I do hope everyone does their best to stay healthy and keep their germs to themselves. I mean... *I* do this.. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Matthew 25: 35-40

For I became hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger and you received me hospitably;  36 naked and you clothed me. I fell sick and you looked after me. I was in prison and you visited me.’  37 Then the righteous ones will answer him with the words: ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38. When did we see you a stranger and receive you hospitably, or naked and clothe you?  39 When did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’  40 In reply the King will say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of the least of these my brothers (and sisters), you did it to me.’

here Jesus willingly helped strangers or sick ones 

he expects us to do the same 

he and his father take note of those who display an unloving attitude 

I suppose my point is make sure we are imitating Christ’s example rather than the worlds which is distance / disdain / superiority. 

His is the way of Love.  What a refreshing contrast 🤩❤️

I don't understand this discussion for the last 3 pages. As far as I understand, Jehovah's Witnesses are pro-medicine because we value God given gift of life. However, each person's situation is different and choosing a particular medical procedure is up to the individual. So, my understanding is that according to the Bible (Deut 22:8)  taking vaccination is prudent as long as the benefits outweigh the risks (which sometimes is easy to calculate, sometimes it's not).

So, either a JW takes the vaccine or because of health issues can't take (risking) it. Either way we love each other. I can't understand the sarcasm or finger pointing (or just my English is so bad I'm reading something that doesn't exist 😉).

Anyway, in a hundred or fewer years we will be laughing at it anyway (I mean, after resurrection of all our deceased brothers and sisters).

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

It’s been reiterated before, but perhaps if someone is getting too emotional about the subject to take a break…maybe from the forums, from reading or watching too much corona news, from commenting - even if something seems to be trivial in someone’s eyes, how loving is it to write “it’s no big deal” or “don’t worry about it”? No one knows all the facts to say those precise words, either against vaccination or for it. Responding to a persons concerns without knowing the history might not be the smartest move.

- Read the Bible daily 

3 minutes ago, Woanders said:

It’s been reiterated before, but perhaps if someone is getting too emotional about the subject to take a break…maybe from the forums, from reading or watching too much corona news, from commenting - even if something seems to be trivial in someone’s eyes, how loving is it to write “it’s no big deal” or “don’t worry about it”? No one knows all the facts to say those precise words, either against vaccination or for it. Responding to a persons concerns without knowing the history might not be the smartest move.

That's what I was about to say.

Please guys, let's keep a nice tone... ❤️ Love, comfort and encouragement.   ❤️ 

2 hours ago, Honeybarrel said:

he and his father take note of those who display an unloving attitude 

I suppose my point is make sure we are imitating Christ’s example rather than the worlds which is distance / disdain / superiority.

That's a question that should be for all of us to do - particularly as introspection or self-reflection.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102010408?q=slow+about+speaking&p=par

“Be swift about hearing, slow about speaking, slow about wrath.” (James 1:19) Others appreciate it when we listen closely to what they say, for in this way we show that we are not just interested but also respectful. But what if someone says something hurtful or provocative? Then we must try to be “slow about wrath” by not reacting in kind. Who knows? The person may have been upset for some reason and may even apologize for his unkind remark. Do you find it hard to be “slow about wrath”? Then pray to God for self-control. He will not ignore such sincere requests.—Luke 11:13.

A good indication of introspection is how do others, or perhaps how many people seem to react negatively to my personal comments? Maybe more introspection is necessary if someone or some people react negatively or are offended by my comments. Is there a misunderstanding by certain words chosen? Am I not listening properly? Am I quick to pass judgment or apply things too personally without knowing the facts? Perhaps it's not the way it was meant, but in a forum where words matter, being slow to anger, thinking before speaking or perhaps thinking before writing is necessary to maintain peace. Otherwise it's just a free for all for bad feelings.

The WT this weekend showed that mercy can be developed by:

-not being harsh or judgmental

-recognizing that we all need mercy

-being compassionate towards others

- Read the Bible daily 

10 hours ago, Hope said:

If I know someone is not vaccinated, I will treat them differently. They can't come to my house and I won't socialize with them at theirs.. or any other close quarters.

Even if that choice was made because it's unhealthy for them to take the jab- I understand that and want to protect them from myself, who could possibly spread asymptomatically and land them in hospital. 

I'm not aware of any legitimate research one can "do" that recommends not vaccinating against this plague.  Evidently, the Governing Body isn't, either. So, I shall follow the example they are clearly recommending.

For some strange reason, some seem to think that either choice is equally sound and valuable.  I don't get it... it's not like choosing to see certain entertainment or not. It's not a conscience matter. But, okay. Those who choose not to have made their choice. 🤷🏽‍♀️ And I've made mine.

There's one brother in our cong that refuses to get the vaccine.  He admitted to me he's afraid of the side effects.  I shared all I knew about how it was safely developed, how it was possible to be created so quickly and yet safely.  And even the latest GB update #9 could not convince him.

When someone is gripped by fear, nothing can change their mind.  Think of those scared of dogs when going door to door in service...  Or even those who are scared of little lizards...  :wink:

There are brothers and sisters like the one I know, but who would never admit that they are simply scared.  They'll say their research said otherwise.  Or whatever excuse.  But the reason is simple...fear.  And this brother is a school bus driver.  Has gone 2 years without catching COVID (as far as he knows).  So he feels his masking and other measures work, and are good enough.  The vaccine is scarier to him. *shrug*

***and just to cover all my bases, yes I know there are those that can't get the vaccine due to being immunocompromised and other legitimate reasons.  I'm just discussing those who are scared***

Will all this being said, do we really need to have further conversations on vaccines?  What purpose does it serve, other than to rile each other up?  We have our direction.  It is clear.  We've had science & statistics on everything for 2 years now.  What more do we need?   :sweat:

Edited by computerwiz

10 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

With all this being said, do we really need to have further conversations on vaccines?  What purpose does it serve, other than to rile each other up?  We have our direction.  It is clear.  We've had science & statistics on everything for 2 years now.  What more do we need?   :sweat:

Absolutely.  I'm also one that is saying enough already. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

No matter what anyone chooses to do, I respect their PERSONAL decision. I don’t need to know the reason behind their PERSONAL decision, or to try and convince them of my PERSONAL decision. If someone chooses not to wear a mask ( as many vaccinated and non vaccinated have chosen to do )it is my personal responsibility to self distance from them and wear a mask myself and take any other measures I feel necessary, while respecting their PERSONAL decisions. I love all my brothers and sisters and I carry my own load. This is how I feel Jehovah wants me to view this. 

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

53 minutes ago, normaclutter said:

it is my personal responsibility to self distance from them and wear a mask myself and take any other measures I feel necessary, while respecting their PERSONAL decisions.

Yes exactly.🧡 ☝️And distancing and avoiding others who follow a course different than you doesn't mean you feel superior over others who choose to do the opposite, nor are being intolerant or non-accepting of either the brothers/sisters or people in the world, nor being unloving, but rather being discreet, wise, safe and healthy! 👌💯

- Read the Bible daily 

1 hour ago, normaclutter said:

No matter what anyone chooses to do, I respect their PERSONAL decision. I don’t need to know the reason behind their PERSONAL decision, or to try and convince them of my PERSONAL decision. If someone chooses not to wear a mask ( as many vaccinated and non vaccinated have chosen to do )it is my personal responsibility to self distance from them and wear a mask myself and take any other measures I feel necessary, while respecting their PERSONAL decisions. I love all my brothers and sisters and I carry my own load. This is how I feel Jehovah wants me to view thi

It could be my personal decision whether I put up a Christmas tree but I would pay the consequences of that decision. My decision would affect others around me when I was reproved or disfellowshipped. 

Personal decisions need to be made by also thinking of the consequences to others as well. 

There are times (as mentioned by some here) that the personal decision is taken away from them due to medical reasons or recommendation by their personal doctors. This is of course different. 

Edited by Mykyl

Scientific evidence that harmful side effects come--NOT FROM THE VACCINES--but from NOT ADMINISTERING THE VACCINES PROPERLY, i.e. aspirating the needle before injecting the syringe's contents.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

40 minutes ago, Mykyl said:

It could be my personal decision whether I put up a Christmas tree but I would pay the consequences of that decision. My decision would affect others around me when I was reproved or disfellowshipped. 

Personal decisions need to be made by also thinking of the consequences to others as well. 

There are times (as mentioned by some here) that the personal decision is taken away from them due to medical reasons or recommendation by their personal doctors. This is of course different. 

Yet the Governing Body has not said that it is for each of us to personally decide whether to put up a Christmas tree. 

The simple way is this, imho: you have a personal and uncommon view (among JWs) about something?

Don't talk about it openly.

You can talk with your elders, your group overseer, but don't create debate, especially online, given Poe's Law.

Be patient and wait for Jehovah to give advice and direction.

Edited by Dages

9 minutes ago, normaclutter said:

Yet the Governing Body has not said that it is for each of us to personally decide whether to put up a Christmas tree. 

But they have said to consider how your decisions could affect others. That was my point as I’m sure you knew. 

I’ll leave it for now. 

18 minutes ago, normaclutter said:

59 minutes ago, Mykyl said:

Christmas tree is probably not the best example, since we all know Christmas is wrong.  However, @Mykyl has a very good point.

Perhaps a better example would be hanging a wreath on your door or using Christmas lights as non-holiday decorations.  

Or...  There was a 2 day circuit assembly back last century.  It was autumn and the stage was decorated with typical autumn decorations such as pumpkins, gourds, etc.  Many young children at the assembly thought we could now celebrate Halloween because pumpkins were used as decoration.  The stage decorations were removed before the Sunday program so as to not offend others. 

Conscience matters.  Those who decorated the stage, those who choose a door wreath or decorative lights during the Christmas season will face the effects of their decision.  Such reactions do influence how others make decisions. 

I was sick with bronchitis last month. Caught a bug from my granddaughter. I knew it was not Covid.  Still, I made a choice to get tested because I knew some people might react negatively had I not been tested. 

I was negative. 

3 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

Christmas tree is probably not the best example, since we all know Christmas is wrong.  However, @Mykyl has a very good point.

Perhaps a better example would be hanging a wreath on your door or using Christmas lights as non-holiday decorations.  

Or...  There was a 2 day circuit assembly back last century.  It was autumn and the stage was decorated with typical autumn decorations such as pumpkins, gourds, etc.  Many young children at the assembly thought we could now celebrate Halloween because pumpkins were used as decoration.  The stage decorations were removed before the Sunday program so as to not offend others. 

Conscience matters.  Those who decorated the stage, those who choose a door wreath or decorative lights during the Christmas season will face the effects of their decision.  Such reactions do influence how others make decisions. 

I was sick with bronchitis last month. Caught a bug from my granddaughter. I knew it was not Covid.  Still, I made a choice to get tested because I knew some people might react negatively had I not been tested. 

I was negative. 

You are correct. Your example is far better. Guess the time of year affected my choice of example. 🤦‍♂️ 

To change the topic a little (actually to get on topic again), here's a bit of good news: although daily infections are again climbing, the death rates are going down:

CleanShot 2021-12-20 at 18.59.01.png

I expect pandemic will be over some time in the future so leaders can say they have their peace and security. I just want it to be sooner than later…

Edited by Michał

problems with image

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

Thing is…. I respect each persons decision and it’s not my business to ask why or why don’t they vaccinate. It’s a personal medical decision. As long as I’m taking the precautions of masking and distancing, then I AM taking others into consideration. And by respecting my spiritual families decision for their own families, i am keeping unity within the congregation. I think many have gotten away from that. I don’t ask anyone why they make any medical decision that they make. I trust that they have prayerfully considered all the consequences. Then i prayerfully consider my own choices and leave the rest in Jehovahs hands. I’m not pointing out one person or another or one post or another. I’ve sat back for a long time and just read posts and I see disunity where there should be none. It makes me sad. Love to you all. ❤️

1 hour ago, Mykyl said:

You are correct. Your example is far better. Guess the time of year affected my choice of example. 🤦‍♂️ 

Honestly, a few years ago one gloomy winter I really wanted to bring in some evergreen or something just to make the house look alive.  I don't want to celebrate Christmas, but something needs to fight the gloom 

2 hours ago, Shawnster said:

I was negative. 

And yet your posts are usually so positive. 🙂 Sorry, couldn't resist.

I remember when the issue of blood fractions was opened up and taking them became a conscience issue. For that Watchtower myself and another Brother sat down to examine each viewpoint, worked out how they were all correct and then realized we didn't know what to do now. For me that was the end of it but years later an ex CO (and ex Branch Committee member actually) was giving a talk on the meat issue in the 1st century, how divisive it had been and he then said that the modern day parallel would be blood fractions. That was the first I knew there was a debate going on about blood fractions but he was in a position to know.

Now it's being masks, quarantines and vaccines. I remember feeling early on that as I'd already had Covid I didn't need to wear a 😷. It was Brothers and Sisters on this very thread who convinced me otherwise. Now it's mandated. I know one's vaccinated and unvaccinated, I've listened to their reasons, and carry on. As my wife has diabetes no unvaccinated adult would be allowed in our home (unless it's urgent, never say never), but otherwise, we just carry on.

Basically it's just nice to be among Brothers and Sisters.

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

Honestly, a few years ago one gloomy winter I really wanted to bring in some evergreen or something just to make the house look alive.  I don't want to celebrate Christmas, but something needs to fight the gloom 

An elder has a row set of blue led lights on his wall behind the "set" where he attends the zoom meetings. Funny, he has it ever since summer time, but now in December we kinda... look at it "differently".

Im so imperfect my God...

Somethings dont look bad, but when put into a different context they can make others stumble. (not my case, but someone may).

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”