JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

2 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

We're under a Stay At Home order here in Ohio. All non-essential businesses must close, and many essential businesses either have to have social distancing measures in place or perhaps obtain a license to operate. The list of essential businesses is fairly large though, from laundry mats, restaurants (dine-in is banned though), grocery stores, etc, even construction, which is what I do - so it isn't affecting me.

Families are encouraged to take their children and pets for walks, and to even explore the variety of state metro parks (but no playgrounds), as long as they are not doing so in groups.

That same basic order is going into affect for us the end of the week.  My husband is wondering if we can still get the friends their memorial emblems...I kind of felt that wouldn’t be something we would want to be caught trying to do but maybe our CO will give direction about that and streaming the memorial from the hall. 🤷‍♀️

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

My husband is apparently 'essential business' for working at Sonic. Sonic, a fast food joint. I can see how some would be essential, but agh.

I feel like the scene in the Monsters Inc movie every time he walks back in the door 😷

.gnihtyna yas t'nseod ti tuo dnif uoy ,syas yllautca siht tahw ezilaer uoy emit eht yB

2 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

We're under a Stay At Home order here in Ohio. All non-essential businesses must close, The list of essential businesses is fairly large though, even construction, which is what I do - so it isn't affecting me.

Me too.  I supply building materials.

For the first time in my life - I'M ESSENTIAL  !!!!

On 3/24/2020 at 12:55 AM, GraceH said:

When I first saw this, I thought: Yeah, that makes sense. The bandits had diarrhea, so that's why they had to steal the toilet paper. Hence, they were "on the run..."

Oh, that's bad... :facepalmpo2:

I buy the usual meats, fruits and vegetables. And as always, I wash my hands first, then I rinse all items under cool water; then soak them for a few minutes in organic apple cider vinegar (mother) which has anti-bacterial properties. It has other medicinal values as well. (This has been my meal preparation regimen for many years.)

For me, it's the best way to clean and handle my food before cooking meals.

Edited by Omoyeme

On 3/23/2020 at 9:40 PM, Todd komaniak said:

The Great Tribulation isn't going to be a judgment message but rather the carrying out of a sentence against all false religion in the scripture that says they will be faint out of fear not knowing the way out that's why there won't be  a mass conversion.

The question is, would the door of salvation be opened during the great tribulation? Another is, what constitutes the great tribulation? The other is the difference between the hailstone message, and the judgement of sheep and goat.

During moses' time, he pronounced judgement on the nation of Egypt, but Jehovah still allowed sincere people from Egypt to join his people. Even when sodom, and gomorrah was doomed for destruction, the conversation between Jehovah and Abraham showed that he would have allowed some to live if they had a change of heart. Right down to the first century era, when the Roman soldiers appeared and surrounded Jerusalem, it was like Judgement in a sort of way, but the people who obeyed Jesus words came out of the inevitable destruction. 

I, personally don't know if many people will be saved during the GT. But I do know sincere ones who have a change of heart might be saved before the judgment of sheep and goat. However, I doubt if this will be a large scale conversion. I also don't know what the situation will be in the future, and so what I speak is speculation of course.

Edited by GodlyDevotion

5 hours ago, Nirex said:

My husband is apparently 'essential business' for working at Sonic. Sonic, a fast food joint. I can see how some would be essential, but agh.

I feel like the scene in the Monsters Inc movie every time he walks back in the door 😷

Sonic.  A restaurant that offers pick up and delivery. 

Ohio's governor said the decisions in Ohio are not going to based on small details.  This emergency is to sever and changing so fast it is hard to keep up. The government does not have the time to analyze each and every business to determine if it is essential or not.  In Ohio some of that decision is being left to the particular business.  The government of Ohio, based on the Homeland Security guidelines, has given a list of types of businesses that are essential. 

Restaurants that provide take out or take away food are considered essential.  People need to eat and many people cannot cook or don't have the time.  If some sources of food close, that puts a greater strain on the rest.  Imagine a town with 10 restaurants providing food to the community.  Now imagine closing 5 of them. The result?  The remaining restaurants are carrying more of the workload than before.  Their limited resources and supplies are depleted quicker.  Customer lines and wait times are longer.  Some customers are forced to travel further. 

Sonic might be fast food, but it's food. 

Same applies to me at OfficeMax.  How is an office supply store essential?  More people are working and schooling from home and need office supplies and equipment to do so. Some of these people may need to scan or fax a document and don't have access to such equipment.  So this chain office supply store is essential. 

Alcohol sales in Ohio are being viewed in the same category as grocery.  Since grocery stores sell alcohol, then alcohol sales are not being stopped.  The government doesn't have time to line item which stores remain open or not.  Plus, think about the fact that alcoholics would suffer withdrawals and flood the hospitals if their supply was stopped.  Hospitals do not need that burden right now. 

How long do you think this virus will be around for? 6 months +. It really is bringing a lot of everyday challenges. Unemployment, social isolation, shutting down of every day facilities, travel, paranoia amongst the public, racial hatred, financial difficulties, a lack of routine, mental health problems. I feel like if Jehovah were to let the situation go on for 6 + months the world at that stage would be completely cuckoo. We will all cope only because of our spiritual routine. Which gives us sanity of mind and a sense of direction - we know where this is all heading. 

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

Alcohol sales in Ohio are being viewed in the same category as grocery.  Since grocery stores sell alcohol, then alcohol sales are not being stopped.  The government doesn't have time to line item which stores remain open or not.  Plus, think about the fact that alcoholics would suffer withdrawals and flood the hospitals if their supply was stopped.  Hospitals do not need that burden right now. 

We are restricting alcohol here. The Premier of our state feels “Alcohol-related issues take up an enormous amount of resources in our health system. These are resources we simply cannot afford to spare during the COVID-19 situation.”

https://www.google.com.au/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/12087974

10 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

"Stay at Home Order"

Does anyone have a governmental "Stay at Home Order" in their area?

When a "stay at home" order is issued, does anyone know what this means legally? 

Does "stay at home" mean literally people must stay home and not even go to work if they have non-essential jobs or businesses? Or does it just mean people can still go to work, grocery shopping, do necessary matters, but stay at home otherwise?  

And since it is an "order", does that mean that the police will enforce it?

These are the orders here in PR.

https://www.elnuevodia.com/english/english/nota/governmenturgespeoplenottoleavehome-2553124/

It's curious, the day it came in effect, we received a text message from our Service Group Overseer telling us that Sunday meeting had been cancelled. We didn't knew why.

1 hour later, the government announced the lockdown.

It was supposed to end on Monday, but the government is planning to extend it two more weeks, as cases now are going up. At the start of the lockdown, we were in 5 cases only.

Today, there are 64. And 2 deaths. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-will-coronavirus-end/608719/?

How the Pandemic Will End

The U.S. may end up with the worst COVID-19 outbreak

in the industrialized world.

This is how it’s going to play out.

Three months ago, no one knew that SARS-CoV-2 existed. Now the virus has spread to almost every country, infecting at least 446,000 people whom we know about, and many more whom we do not. It has crashed economies and broken health-care systems, filled hospitals and emptied public spaces. It has separated people from their workplaces and their friends. It has disrupted modern society on a scale that most living people have never witnessed. Soon, most everyone in the United States will know someone who has been infected. Like World War II or the 9/11 attacks, this pandemic has already imprinted itself upon the nation’s psyche.

A global pandemic of this scale was inevitable. In recent years, hundreds of health experts have written books, white papers, and op-eds warning of the possibility. Bill Gates has been telling anyone who would listen, including the 18 million viewers of his TED Talk. In 2018, I wrote a story for The Atlantic arguing that America was not ready for the pandemic that would eventually come. In October, the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security war-gamed what might happen if a new coronavirus swept the globe. And then one did. Hypotheticals became reality. “What if?” became “Now what?”

I. The Next Months

Italy and Spain offer grim warnings about the future. Hospitals are out of room, supplies, and staff. Unable to treat or save everyone, doctors have been forced into the unthinkable: rationing care to patients who are most likely to survive, while letting others die. The U.S. has fewer hospital beds per capita than Italy. A study released by a team at Imperial College London concluded that if the pandemic is left unchecked, those beds will all be full by late April. By the end of June, for every available critical-care bed, there will be roughly 15 COVID-19 patients in need of one.  By the end of the summer, the pandemic will have directly killed 2.2 million Americans, notwithstanding those who will indirectly die as hospitals are unable to care for the usual slew of heart attacks, strokes, and car accidents. This is the worst-case scenario. To avert it, four things need to happen—and quickly.

II. The Endgame

Even a perfect response won’t end the pandemic. As long as the virus persists somewhere, there’s a chance that one infected traveler will reignite fresh sparks in countries that have already extinguished their fires. This is already happening in China, Singapore, and other Asian countries that briefly seemed to have the virus under control. Under these conditions, there are three possible endgames: one that’s very unlikely, one that’s very dangerous, and one that’s very long.

No matter which (vaccine manufacturing) strategy is faster, Berkley and others estimate that it will take 12 to 18 months to develop a proven vaccine, and then longer still to make it, ship it, and inject it into people’s arms.

Read: COVID-19 vaccines are coming, but they’re not what you think:  

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/two-extreme-long-shots-could-save-us-coronavirus/608539/

It’s likely, then, that the new coronavirus will be a lingering part of American life for at least a year, if not much longer. If the current round of social-distancing measures works, the pandemic may ebb enough for things to return to a semblance of normalcy. Offices could fill and bars could bustle. Schools could reopen and friends could reunite. But as the status quo returns, so too will the virus. This doesn’t mean that society must be on continuous lockdown until 2022. But “we need to be prepared to do multiple periods of social distancing,” says Stephen Kissler of Harvard.

I found the above article incredibly informative.  

Above are just a few quoted segments.

Definitely well worth reading in its ENTIRETY. 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

19 minutes ago, Barbllm said:

Hmmm.gif.c8c841d5682011bf3b02bf04fddc632e.gif Global Government...Where have we heard that before?

1224057957_RevelationBook.jpg.25bcbec207bae999b4c151ede0accfc7.jpg

spacer.png

:D 

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I knew it sounded familiar!

And what's odd to me are the responses of some non-Witnesses to this.  The article was shared on a news aggregator site, and one person commented: "It should happen eventually, if we ever truly want to get our stuff together collectively as a species. I imagine it would be easier to consolidate regionally first, then have 4-5 super-nations. I want my utopian Star Trek future,  and these regressive idiots aren't going to ruin it for me or the rest of humanity."

Another wrote, "Scary? The fact that the human race doesn't have one government is one sign of how far our species still has to develop before we've gotten our stuff together enough to survive for the long haul."

And another wrote, "One World Government would be a good thing not a bad thing."

I remember seeing comments from others years ago that derided the UN as being ineffective and that there was no way that a 'one world government' would even exist.  Look at how times have changed.  People are (more or less) welcoming the idea and seeing it as progressive.

Hmmm.gif.c8c841d5682011bf3b02bf04fddc632e.gif Global Government...Where have we heard that before?

1224057957_RevelationBook.jpg.25bcbec207bae999b4c151ede0accfc7.jpg
  41ZDY2HFwuL._SX281_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg&key=580ab73990904448b6a77276c6dbb2718d7ece6ed4a5188ca890d0dedfa32cfe

:D imageproxy.php?img=&key=2edab8fb996422189b105b61632ba474ba38620cc8b19913a23e63f50efd1af1
Pretty much a lot of places except the RGCH book. I recall it said UN will lead the attack on BTG (false religion) but it never predicted a one world government.

In fact every time I predicted a one world NWO government with a one world currency, brothers scoffed at me. So please, tell me when and where the RGCH mentions a one world government.

"As John soon learns, the time will come when the UN will act with considerable authority."

That's literally all I could find.

Besides that, that publication claimed roughly 95% of John's Revelation was already fulfilled and a mere 5% predictions for the future. I certainly can't recall a one world government being in the focus.

Sent from my S68Pro using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

Pretty much a lot of places except the RGCH book. I recall it said UN will lead the attack on BTG (false religion) but it never predicted a one world government.

In fact every time I predicted a one world NWO government with a one world currency, brothers scoffed at me. So please, tell me when and where the RGCH mentions a one world government.

"As John soon learns, the time will come when the UN will act with considerable authority."

That's literally all I could find.

Besides that, that publication claimed roughly 95% of John's Revelation was already fulfilled and a mere 5% predictions for the future. I certainly can't recall a one world government being in the focus.

Guess I assumed all the nations uniting as one and giving these United Nations authority is a global government.  Global Government..........United Nations....

Could semantics be coming into play? Shrug.gif.7f02b3ba67c8e5f325076ff04e882605.gif

Guess I assumed all the nations uniting as one and giving these United Nations authority is a global government.  Global Government..........United Nations....

Could semantics be coming into play? Shrug.gif.7f02b3ba67c8e5f325076ff04e882605.gif

Dunno. All I know is when I spoke about the eighth King everyone always told me the USA would be the last power in charge at Armageddon. So no, to put it simply, all JWs I ever met never believed that there will soon be a "one world government".

And I never understood that short, vague sentence to imply something of such magnitude. But maybe I'm just being nasty because I never was a fan of the RGCH

I just got a text from a worker on one of my jobs, she has symptoms of Covid. Great. 
I know that sounds dire. Sorry to hear it. But no reason to panic. A lot of people I know have had a sore throat or similar and it turned out to be nothing. It's still kinda winterish over here.

Thanks for that. Having asthma and bad allergies I'm already sensitive (emotionally) to anything that may affect my lungs.
I felt like it was getting harder and harder for me to breathe. It felt like the air was getting smoggier and smoggier.. although due to less traffic, it was, in fact, getting cleaner.. and I felt like I had to push to inflate my lungs.

Then, I took a hot eucalyptus bath hoping the artificial fever would force an immune reaction if I did have the virus. Instead, I was so relaxed from it, I was able to breathe easier the next day.

I think it's all the talk about an invisible enemy that's killing us slowly.

1 hour ago, bagwell1987 said:

Thanks for that. Having asthma and bad allergies I'm already sensitive (emotionally) to anything that may affect my lungs.

23 minutes ago, ChocoBro said:

I felt like it was getting harder and harder for me to breathe. It felt like the air was getting smoggier and smoggier.. although due to less traffic, it was, in fact, getting cleaner.. and I felt like I had to push to inflate my lungs.

Then, I took a hot eucalyptus bath hoping the artificial fever would force an immune reaction if I did have the virus. Instead, I was so relaxed from it, I was able to breathe easier the next day.

I think it's all the talk about an invisible enemy that's killing us slowly.

I have had allergies for more than 30 years. I think the key for the covid-19 is fever.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Its spring, my asthma is caused by pollen so now its acting up, had to use my inhaler a couple times, try to avoid that.

1 hour ago, bagwell1987 said:

I just got a text from a worker on one of my jobs, she has symptoms of Covid. Great. 

Just heard from Katie again, so far she has it mild, if that's what it is. She'll let me know the diagnosis 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34